Usine plugin scan

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is like watching paint dry - takes forever, frequent crashes and most annoying, every time there's an update I have to start again from scratch as the new version doesn't seem to update the old one, you have to trash the old app and replace it.

Just a precision:
Usine hollyhock is a portable application, so yes the updates don't overwrite the old one, but ( as written on our website each time we post an update), you only have to copy your config folder from the old version to the new one, this way you don't need to rescan each time your plug-ins folder and keep all your preferences..

And the second advantage of the portable system is that you can also have the 2 versions installed on your machine without problems :wink:

Yes you are right, I hadn't realised that about the config file. The scan itself is still very slow and flaky though - even slower than Tracktion's used to be (they speeded it up recently). It's one reason why I hadn't really gotten into Usine till last week, I had it on my system for a couple of months but never got the scan to complete and kept getting fed up with it.

when the scan fail, you can start Usine again and click Ok on the query window about plug-ins to let it finish, if not, you can also check 2 files in the folder config/plug-ins:

CorruptedPlugins.init
and
ErrorPlugins.init

this 2 files can be opened by a simple text editor and will help you to see which plug ins create this issue, generally this is old or doubtful plug-ins who create this :wink:

The plugin scan has never felt particularly slow to me, and has never crashed on me once in my over a year (and countless updates) of using Hollyhock.

Sounds like you are keeping some buggy instruments around to me.

Nope, just a lot. But all my hosts have the same number to scan, yet comparatively Usine is the slowest and crashed the most times.

ok, but have you look for the 2 .init files ?

remember Usine can display all the parameters of a Plug-in to link knobs and faders so maybe it's a bit more demanding than some others ?

No I don't know where the folder config/plugins is

if you are on a PC it is where you unzip Usine, for example:
Hollyhock Pro Win32 upd10 1.1.008m\Config\Plug-Ins

if you are on Mac, a Right click (or CTRL+click) on Usine.app and select 'Show package contents", then, it's the same path: \Config\Plug-Ins

Ah it's actually inside the app! That means I probably deleted the original ones when I updated it. Lots of crashed plugins in the error list - including all my JBridged plugins and some like Izotope Spectron (which seems to crash lots of hosts these days - very annoying of Izotope to abandon it not long after I bought it).

Oh well I just updated and copied over my config file but now it won't make a sound.

mm, strange
i suppose you check the setup/audio tab...? all is normal? sound card selected and outputs activated..?

Soundcard is selected - but the devices tab has 3 different audio outs in it when before it only had one - and none of them actually seem to work

Can you please try to unzip a fresh archive (without copying your config folder) to see if you have same results..?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”