---

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apple is about to release Yosemite, the new OSX to get closer to the iphone :

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... developers

GaryG wrote:As it's getting less 'windowery' maybe they should drop the Windows and call it Microsoft 10.

Or MS 10.

Or MS X.
Someone suggested it should be WinX, and the first thing I thought of was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gWA491H4U

I just hope that when I have to switch to a new computer in a couple of years, whatever windows version it will be, that there still will be a mouse and a keyboard on it and not only touch and that you still will be able to download and install software without being forced to use whatever AppStore or Cloud thing MS (or Apple or Google or whoever) suits their needs best...

every single one of the "features" presented in this video are worthless. snap? really? who cares? the only thing he said that even comes close to interesting is that maybe...possibly...things wont absolutely suck on non touch screens.

live tiles...live tiles can go screw themselves.

windows 8 is garbage and i dont have much hope for 9...i mean "10".
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:every single one of the "features" presented in this video are worthless. snap? really? who cares? the only thing he said that even comes close to interesting is that maybe...possibly...things wont absolutely suck on non touch screens.

Well, what I saw pleased me a lot. I think MS did several steps in the right direction. I especially loved the virtual desktops, which are an old thing in Linux, but took so long to reach Windows. And the fact that the focus of the OS is back on the desktop, and not on Metro. And the start menu (the live tiles can be deactivated, AFAIR - it's up to the user). The improvements I saw, coupled with the performance gains already in Windows 8 can make this OS a true winner.
Fernando (FMR)

UltraJv wrote:Apple is about to release Yosemite, the new OSX to get closer to the iphone :

I have been running Yosemite in an alternate HD since the first day it was available, and I saw nothing of iOS there (fortunately). It's basically the same system, with some slight improvements, and new graphics (icons are flatter, and the folders are flatter too - merely cosmetics). The only application so far that gave me troubles was Cubase 7.

Pretty much everything was running as usual. The installers installed as always (except those of Steinberg, that had to be patched).

BTW - I love the new iTunes. Look forward to have it in Windows too.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
UltraJv wrote:Apple is about to release Yosemite, the new OSX to get closer to the iphone :

I have been running Yosemite in an alternate HD since the first day it was available, and I saw nothing of iOS there.
well, some of the ios touches have been there for a while. i really like the ios-style app-launcher. i like that it is not front-and-centre, but still easily accessed with a full-hand pinch. i'm referring more to the whole notifications thing. that is pretty ios to me, but can also be hidden

the new look is taking some getting used to. some things i'm not too sure about. they removed the option to uncheck 'translucent menubar'. 'dark' mode does make up, but i would like the option of a lighter, solid menubar. also, prefer areas to be more distinct in finder windows, esp 'column view'. will try to tweak the settings tomorrow

itunes might be a step too far. it's almost too clean. i'd be surprised if it doesn't go through some more changes

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: the new look is taking some getting used to. some things i'm not too sure about. they removed the option to uncheck 'translucent menubar'. 'dark' mode does make up, but i would like the option of a lighter, solid menubar. also, prefer areas to be more distinct in finder windows, esp 'column view'. will try to tweak the settings tomorrow

itunes might be a step too far. it's almost too clean. i'd be surprised if it doesn't go through some more changes
The new look is ugly as hell, especially the window top bar - those buttons look like 20 years go, but the new button functionality is now more on my taste. I forgive the look because of the functionality.

The new Dock (which is also a return to the past) is better too, IMO (it's not just MS that goes back). I never used any app launcher - my launcher was and will always be the dock, or else the Applications folder.

I didn't download the newest version yet. Maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Right now, I am thinking where shall I put the technical preview of Windows 10 - it's the task for the next weekend.
Fernando (FMR)

I just installed 10 in a VM today and so far it seems good. Installed vmware tools for 8.1 on it and it runs in vmware workstation perfect. I'll be playing around with it a bit more. Probably going to add it to a domain and test some work programs in it and see how they run. We have 75% of my office (100+ computers) on Windows 8.1 with classic shell and no one complains. Get rid of Metro and it's not a half bad OS (although I'll admit I got used to metro and it doesn't bother me anymore) We will see about 10.

Upgrading from XP to X, would feel strange, it's like taking away the P.

chaosWyrM wrote:every single one of the "features" presented in this video are worthless. snap? really? who cares? the only thing he said that even comes close to interesting is that maybe...possibly...things wont absolutely suck on non touch screens.

Couldnt agree more. Really though, who the hell cares about the OS visual style layout transparent glass aero bs? Do people really just sit in front of the computer looking at the OS? I tend to load up programs, and then the OS is invisible. Strip the pos down, show me some optimized code. Let me take full advantage of todays computer hardware, dont use todays computer hardware as a reason for more bloat.
fmr wrote:Well, what I saw pleased me a lot. I think MS did several steps in the right direction. I especially loved the virtual desktops, which are an old thing in Linux, but took so long to reach Windows. And the fact that the focus of the OS is back on the desktop, and not on Metro. And the start menu (the live tiles can be deactivated, AFAIR - it's up to the user). The improvements I saw, coupled with the performance gains already in Windows 8 can make this OS a true winner.
This is great if youre MS, remove features, add bloat, later add removed features, shave a little bloat off next release and claim victory? pfft.
Zombie Queen wrote:Upgrading from XP to X, would feel strange, it's like taking away the P.
Yes, and then Windows 10 with service pack P gets you back to XP. /play circle of life theme

Has there been any statement as to why they skipped v9 (besides spinaltap)? It seems like a shady ploy to trick the not-so-computer-literate into thinking its time to upgrade. "Oh im using windows 10" "10? Im still on 7 so its 3 versions old, i must upgrade!"

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

At "looking in front of the OS" I do to some degree. I expect that to be part of the experience. :shrug:

@10, BORING with a capitol 10. Win7 groovy to 2020? I'm down with that.

xNiMiNx wrote:

Couldnt agree more. Really though, who the hell cares about the OS visual style layout transparent glass aero bs? Do people really just sit in front of the computer looking at the OS? I tend to load up programs, and then the OS is invisible. Strip the pos down, show me some optimized code. Let me take full advantage of todays computer hardware, dont use todays computer hardware as a reason for more bloat.
By this, I conclude that you NEVER had a look at Windows 8. Nuff said. Anyway, I like the look of Windows 7, and personally regret they got rid of that "transparent glass aero bs". Looks great.
xNiMiNx wrote:
fmr wrote:Well, what I saw pleased me a lot. I think MS did several steps in the right direction. I especially loved the virtual desktops, which are an old thing in Linux, but took so long to reach Windows. And the fact that the focus of the OS is back on the desktop, and not on Metro. And the start menu (the live tiles can be deactivated, AFAIR - it's up to the user). The improvements I saw, coupled with the performance gains already in Windows 8 can make this OS a true winner.
This is great if youre MS, remove features, add bloat, later add removed features, shave a little bloat off next release and claim victory? pfft.
If the bloat makes your computer do more with less resources, then I welcome that bloat. And, as I said, in Yosemite Apple also restored the old Dock, abandoning the newer 3D Dock.
xNiMiNx wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:Upgrading from XP to X, would feel strange, it's like taking away the P.
Yes, and then Windows 10 with service pack P gets you back to XP. /play circle of life theme

Has there been any statement as to why they skipped v9 (besides spinaltap)? It seems like a shady ploy to trick the not-so-computer-literate into thinking its time to upgrade. "Oh im using windows 10" "10? Im still on 7 so its 3 versions old, i must upgrade!"
Commenting a joke as if he meant it? Seriously? And about Windows 10 - it's obviously a marketing strategy, but I personally don't care why they jumped - they also came with Windows 7 after Vista, and after Windows 3.1 we had Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista - theoretically, Windows 7 should have been Windows 9 - did anyone care about the number?

At a certain point, someone even wrote they were preparing to abandon the number, and just calling it Windows. What I care is that it is done right. But of course, your concern was just bashing Microsoft... Dude, you are stuck in the the nineties :hihi:
Last edited by fmr on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Unless you want the NSA to regularly check the files on your hard disk, you'd better forget about any Windows version after 7. IMHO, the future belongs to free and alternative systems like ReactOS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

Skorpius wrote:IMHO, the future belongs to free and alternative systems like ReactOS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS
:lol:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”