One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm ok with going down the free sampler path.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

psmacmur wrote:How about if the sample was a single sin wave cycle at 440Hz? :clown: In theory (specifically Fourier theory), that should be able to do anything, if samplers are sufficiently powerful. :ud:
Ehh... additive synthesis. Computationally expensive. Not really well supported by samplers. I'd be all for just a kick drum sample. :)

Or the weaponized piano sample library... oh wait, Jasinski already killed that one. :)

Want to turn the OSC(One synth challenge) into a OSC(One sample compo)? :lol:

That's a thing that I have see that many trackers do.
But they only use native tracker FXs...
here some examples : (you will need OpenMPT or another tracker to hear them)
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=5353.0
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topi ... 7#msg40257

J.Ruegg wrote:I have got a idea yesterday, I'm not sure if someone else has sugest this earlier, but I think this will solve some problems:

Make a rule that says that everyone that takes part in the contest needs to submit his track without ANY FXs(maybe only some gain stages to make it sound more or less nice), the No-FXs track shouldn't be uploaded necesary to soundcloud.
The idea is that everyone can listen to the effected version, and then to the direct output of the synth and then judge if the sound has gone too far away from the original.

Did you think this would work?
I did this for my OSC#56 Entry:
With All FX:
https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/pancake ... asion-1982

No FX but some EQ (just to avoid clashing) Volume is not really properly adjusted, and the 'hit' is missing
https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/pancake ... no/s-j7PMk

I'm sure if I made the song specifically with no fx - I could get some psuedo reverb, delay, and some other stuff with layering tricks, but overall - I definitely prefer freedom with FX. Most of what is different here is just reverb. I love reverb - imagine recording a synth in a deep cavern or something - it sounds more organic and a lot of the unique characteristics, timbres, and harmonics come out.

Inspired by fluffy's comments in the other thread about OSC running out of ideas, I have an idea. What about an OSC CM: One DAW Synth? Are there any DAWs that don't include at least one non-sample-based synth? I realize it'd probably be somewhat unfair; e.g. S1's only true synth, Mojito, is mono (the other two are sample-based), but is there anyone who'd be really screwed? e.g. how bad is Reaper's "basic synthesizer"?

psmacmur wrote:Inspired by fluffy's comments in the other thread about OSC running out of ideas, I have an idea. What about an OSC CM: One DAW Synth? Are there any DAWs that don't include at least one non-sample-based synth? I realize it'd probably be somewhat unfair; e.g. S1's only true synth, Mojito, is mono (the other two are sample-based), but is there anyone who'd be really screwed? e.g. how bad is Reaper's "basic synthesizer"?
Reaper's basic synth is very bad. I think this would be a bit unfair for cubase, logic, or live studio users. Dunno others with good synths... maybe a MuLab free month (THAT would be challenging: 4 channels!!). http://www.mutools.com/mulab-product.html

How about something from the KVR Developer challenge. There's several interesting new synths in there.
And perhaps to use some of Fx from that challenge also...
http://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2014/

Awesome ideas.

Also, just want to bring it out there, that there are lots of synths to use, but sometimes having a few oldies once in a while is nice :)

An interesting fact that might be unknown to newcomers is the level of plays OSC tracks get, just look at the statistic for OSC 1 Synth1 at the bottom right of the page there that says 'Downloaded XXXX times". (currently 4,244) This number is the time any file has been downloaded or played. And as this is in addition to 2-3000 plays that was on the counter before it was reset because of a tech issue some time ago it is quite impressive.

OSC 35 Diva has at the moment almost 9000 plays (+ the 2-3000 before reset) and that's quite something.

This of course is just the plays that are of the tracks when in archive, before that they all got hundreds if not thousand plays when at SoundCloud etc.

V'ger wrote:An interesting fact that might be unknown to newcomers is the level of plays OSC tracks get, just look at the statistic for OSC 1 Synth1 at the bottom right of the page there that says 'Downloaded XXXX times". (currently 4,244) This number is the time any file has been downloaded or played. And as this is in addition to 2-3000 plays that was on the counter before it was reset because of a tech issue some time ago it is quite impressive.

OSC 35 Diva has at the moment almost 9000 plays (+ the 2-3000 before reset) and that's quite something.

This of course is just the plays that are of the tracks when in archive, before that they all got hundreds if not thousand plays when at SoundCloud etc.
**edit**
From what I've seen, a lot of the downloads are bot downloads / crawlers. Not much indication to me these are people. The plays almost surely have come from the player on google site though - most of them legit.

Overall - seems to mean that at the least OSC members, the potential members, and interested viewers are poking around at the old songs! :tu:

Oh really, I didn't know bots actually downloaded tracks like that, I thought they just indexed a page's content for the search engines etc. Of course Archive.org takes full site downloads for their Wayback Machine, but unlikely they do it for their own site.

Still, the big difference in plays (thousands) between OSCs indicates that a lot of these are humans playing the tracks as bots would surely download tracks uniformly across OSCs.

V'ger wrote:Oh really, I didn't know bots actually downloaded tracks like that, I thought they just indexed a page's content for the search engines etc. Of course Archive.org takes full site downloads for their Wayback Machine, but unlikely they do it for their own site.

Still, the big difference in plays (thousands) between OSCs indicates that a lot of these are humans playing the tracks as bots would surely download tracks uniformly across OSCs.
Yeah hopefully most of those are humans. Notice the emotional compilation only got 90 downloads, and I think that's the only one not linked via google site, which could mean many things, but hopefully KVR people? :)

V'ger wrote: OSC 35 Diva has at the moment almost 9000 plays (+ the 2-3000 before reset) and that's quite something.
Not that I'm trying to be a stick in the mud, but, listening to the Diva entries, it's pretty obvious to me why they get so many plays, Diva sounds good.

Have you not seen the documentaries "I ROBOT" and "A.I. Artificial Intelligence"
they have feelings and emotions too and who knows they may actually like the music :?
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bjporter wrote:From what I've seen, a lot of the downloads are bot downloads / crawlers. Not much indication to me these are people.
Still not sure about this as normal play when a track is on SoundCloud is 100+ (check current competition) and for 20-30 contestants that is already 2000-4000 plays in some weeks so it doesn't seem unreasonable that archived tracks get a lot of views over the years. Where did you see the that it was bots and would they really download MP3s?

Return to “Instruments”