Will DAW development eventually end?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

standalone wrote:Generally speaking, people who are busy making music are not mad about installing a new version of their daw every week. Maybe that's why you can buy Sonar right now for 15€.
I find fallacy in this argument. Hoping for improved workflow or actually fixing things that don't work doesn't mean people are not making music.

It's no wonder some companies have the attitude they do. Too many people just blindly back them up no matter what. It's always been that way. I'd bring up a car analogy, but I'd get in trouble over that :lol:

You're wasting your time. :hihi:

hibidy wrote:
standalone wrote:Generally speaking, people who are busy making music are not mad about installing a new version of their daw every week. Maybe that's why you can buy Sonar right now for 15€.
I find fallacy in this argument. Hoping for improved workflow or actually fixing things that don't work doesn't mean people are not making music.
Of course you're right.
I'm not that interested in what people do away from the thread. I think it's a balance.
In my opinion, a Quest for the Holy Grail Workflow, or worrying too much about it isn't for me.
I'm apprised of a number of things that I don't have, or have and don't use, that would mean 'faster workflow'. I have a slow workflow probably for a lot of you.
Retarded, even. But as to the time reading up on and chasing product, and troubleshooting my system with new things that my system doesn't take to, and a spreadsheet approach to compatibility, ad naus, I'd rather spend making music. My ratio of 'finished product' (that I'm quite happy with) to time is pretty happening, so my way is right for me.

Cubase 5, like all Cubase, has bugs that never got fixed. I don't have any that I can't work around really. If I had to use its bridge I'd be SOL. There are feature of 6 and 7 I could use. I think I'd avoid 7, 6 I'd have to justify the $ outlay for and as yet not so much.

OTOH, I stay pretty current with VE Pro 5 and to get to 5 meant money I didn't really have.
Another thing is I don't feel like taking on much of a learning curve with other hosts, and that there is no perfect host for all seasons is not really an argument in favor of a lot of jumping around I don't think. I mean I don't need to get into the Live paradigm or learn how to customize Reaper anyway. Cubase isn't that limited for me, any 'improvement' is 'workflow-oriented' and I like my retarded ways.

But if it works for you, that is groovy. Live works for me, and Studio one is the cleanup hitter. I'm in deep with live, but didn't really shell too much for studio one so it's kinda a bonus.

I just think that a regularly improved product is good housekeeping. And ffs, fix bugs :hihi:

I'm pretty lucky. Other than some annoying issues that are WTF in nature, I get on pretty well with my stuff. I see people all the time with issues in live and studio one that I don't have and realize that that is them, if it were sonar.....I'd have all the issues while everyone else that uses it blissfully moves along :lol:

I had to move on up to BFD3 because VE Pro 5 and BFD2 sixty four bit HATE EACH OTHER. BFD3, no es problemas and it has shiny new features.
This is the last piece I'm loading the things in BFD2, adios cabrón.

it already did. lol

i mostly use logic 6 + studio vision and sometimes dp3 and live 3. would like to get old cubase someday, might go for atari version. :) modern effects and the like i load in max 6 or mainstage 3.

the actual DAW part of it hasn't improved since then imo. new daws have too many me too features w/o being integrated into the use of the program and it's original paradigm for my tastes and just slow me down. i find it nonsensical for one program to try to do everything.

i like where emagic is going with mainstage, garageband and logic though and i think with bluetooth midi midi is making a comeback so hopefully the environment gets some love.

i think in 5 years things like push and maschine will run standalone and that'll be cool too.

hibidy wrote:

It's no wonder some companies have the attitude they do. Too many people just blindly back them up no matter what. It's always been that way. I'd bring up a car analogy, but I'd get in trouble over that :lol:
Meh.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Right! :lol:

*Shrug*
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Interesting interview and demonstration of what one might call an early DAW (1984) :)
Oops, seems the exact time won't work when embedded, it starts at about 8 mins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI93SZwfL5M#t=481
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I want a host with an easy-to-use diagnostics utility that looks for problems in the DAW and its environment and solves them - or at least prepares a document that shows me how to solve them. Where did that Cubase blacklist report go?

I would also like a host that would allow me to route audio from any application that is running inside my OS to the DAW - YouTube and other Internet-based streaming sources, but also weird standalones like Granulab and not-so-weird programs like Acid. Right now, this is most easily accomplished by using 2 computers with 2 soundcards. I think this could be implemented right now, but any developer who did would run the risk of being accused that they were abetting piracy. Well, f**k that. You all may want to pirate Justin Bieber albums, I just want to manipulate the HELL out of Pat Robertson and Faux News. (When EBN toured, one of their requirements was 2 cable TV drops so that they could manipulate the video and audio stream live. I'm not quite that ambitious.)

Wasn't it mused about in Steinberg circles like a decade ago that Steinberg was going to kind of merge some of the functions of Cubase and Wavelab so that you could have a seamless recording/editing environment?

Hahaha, hit me up when there's a DAW that can even do the FUNDAMENTALS right, and has ALL of the basics included. Let alone a "perfect DAW" that has no need for development.

I don't know if it's my thousands of hours spent inside DAWs or I'm just an oblivious solitude voice that many share, but currently I don't know why I don't hear this that much...

There is not a single DAW, I think, that knows what it's doing.

I should make a spreadsheet with these factors and more, so you can see for yourself how utterly behind we are when it comes to software to manipulate audio in a multitude of (already established, mind you, not user defined) ways.
  • Plugin Delay Compensation (e.g. Ableton/FL studio can't do this correctly, Reaper can)

Audio Repitching Automation (e.g. Ableton/FL studio can do this but Reaper can't)

Modern Piano Roll (FL studio stands alone here I'm afraid)

Sample Accurate Zooming (Here FL stands alone again, I believe)

(even close to would be nice) Sample Accurate Automation

VST3 support

etc..
These are just a few BASIC things that should be included in every DAW.

Now if only Adobe could get of their asses and make the "Photoshop of Audio", we wouldn't have to suffer anymore.

LMAO. No, actually I don't think Cubase 5 has automated pitching of audio. That's one of the fundamentals? AlRIGHTY then.

this belief that FL stands alone with 'modern piano roll' is particularly funny.

Hey come on now, FL is widely known as the costco of "piano roll" so let's be fair :hihi:

I'm baffled by your retail analogy. I think I will only suggest Toys R Us here. :D

It's a piano roll :shrug: which I think most DAWs do have.
It was an afterthought by the Fruity paradigm, isn't it?

it's the smug tone that makes me want to point out the absurdity. thousands of hours! wow. no one else here could possibly grok you.
I'm blissfully ignorant of what 'the Photoshop of Audio' would do to alleviate all our suffering. Wait, is that irony?
Not suffering through lack of automating pitch of audio somehow. I must be missing it. Though I always wanted to play the guitar and bend the strings like reent-toon-teen-too-teenooneenoonee...

whispers: plastics

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”