making a (purchase) controller decision based on bitwig

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey all ..

im new to bitwig.. and already can tell this will be a bread and butter program for me if i can get everything set to my likings so im looking for a bit of info perhaps.. (much appreciated btw)

so my big gripes are
i have the akai max49 and it doesnt work with bitwig for shit right now lol and i dont have any time or patience to write a damn jave script to make it work with bitwig.. i just want to produce

so ive been trying to decide do i just sell the max49 (akai tech support said they have no plans on making a preset that would allow you to even make a script etc)

i narrowed it down to two options
the nektar p6 and the mpk61

the nektar is bad ass.. but ive heard the drum pads arent responsive..
and it doesnt have note repeat :( ((hiphop producer)) lol

the mpk isnt as bad ass .. but it has 16 drum pads and note repeat
and they just released a bitwig script for it.. but i have no idea how deep the integration goes

any helpful thoughtS?

Nektar + Bitwig = Dream Team !

jphatbeats wrote:the nektar is bad ass.. but ive heard the drum pads arent responsive..
and it doesnt have note repeat :( ((hiphop producer)) lol
I doubt anything that is compatible with Bitwig right now has note repeat. Javascript's timing suffers and this is something that Bitwig needs to implement internally and expose to controller scripts.

So don't buy based on things saying they have note repeat(and don't expect to use it right now, it doesn't exist).

Mike
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

The AKAI MPD18 has it. ;-)
If it's built into the controller it works just fine.

But yeah, if it's not part of the controller, it's not there yet.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

iNNeRNoiZe wrote:Nektar + Bitwig = Dream Team !
I'm waiting to see what they do with the 1.1 patch, apparently it'll give them more options. I don't think that the Panorama maps to VSTs yet, which is a shame.

ThomasHelzle wrote:The AKAI MPD18 has it. ;-)
If it's built into the controller it works just fine.

But yeah, if it's not part of the controller, it's not there yet.

Cheers,

Tom
I stand corrected, but that is like a diamond in the rough dealing with note repeat, what I said still stands. :)

Mike
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

Maybe also Lemur iOS App if you got an iPad.

cheers

I know you said you've narrowed your choices down, however I'll still recommend Push. Push is working very well with Bitwig now and the integration gets better almost every week.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:I know you said you've narrowed your choices down, however I'll still recommend Push. Push is working very well with Bitwig now and the integration gets better almost every week.
+1, using Push with PXT-General is already great (respect to the moss one ofc )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3MNaYQ38QA
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

hey thanks for the reply guys..

youve been a big help
so ive narrowed it down to
3 choices.. lol
and it looks like something like push would be a good addition..

does anyone have any experience writing scripts..
i have a akai max49

thats the whole reason im looking to change keyboards.. but i love the pads

and hey so do you all recommend push over any of the livid stuff?? ive got some many damn questions lol

I sold my Max49 because nothing supported it. After watching the SonicState Panorama/Bitwig video I bought the P6. The integration isn't as good as I'd hoped. Occasionally I check forums hoping to hear about some magical update that will make me love it.

I haven't seen anything from Bitwig or Nektar about what update number will bring the Panorama's functionality to Cubase levels or if it's even possible. I'm lazy when it comes to scouring forums though so maybe I'm wrong.

On a side note OP - Akai's user forum was a joke with seemingly everything they sold in one thread. It was still better than Nektar's user forum which I don't think exists.

dang that sucks to hear..
if you dont mind me asking whens the last time you did a update?

and what parts arent working together with bitwig like you expected..

and i feeeeel you on the max49 nothings ever worked on this like they claimed .. i can never get the tap tempo to work .. or the note repeat...

i finally downloaded a firmware update and noterepeat works but man ive had this for a while with no no repeat till now .. damn shame

wow i just realised the nektar p4 is nothing but a midi keyboard with the p1 attatched to it.. :)
that leaves all kinds of options lol

@Init 1.1 is supposed to be a huge jump forward in terms of controller support. That's supposed to be coming within 3 weeks to 3 months I think.

Return to “Bitwig”