Is it possible to have the volume of one sample affect the volume of another?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apologies if this is obvious, or answered repeatedly, I can't think how to phrase this is a way that gets me google answers...

Basically, I'd like to have an drone running throughout a track, inaudible, except when certain other tracks can be heard. I know I could do this manually, but it seems like the kind of thing I might be able to achieve pretty simply with a VST, or Audacity maybe. Is this a thing you can do?

I don't know about other DAWs, but in Renoise there's a device called a "Signal Follower" which can be set up to do exactly that - basically taking the input of one track and allowing it to modulate a parameter of another.

Cheers! I don't have Renoise, but you set me on the right track. Apparently I want to sidechain a gate, something I should be able to do with a plugin I already have. I'll have a playaround this afternoon...

sidechain compression
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

You can do this quite easily in REAPER by routing the signal from one channel into an other and utilising the paramter modulation

Not sure how it works in other DAWs

The classic use is of course sidechain style compression, so you could try a vst compressor with a sidechain

Use a gate bro

Put the gate on the drone channel and have it sidechained to the channel you want to 'activate' the drone with. You'll need to play with the threshold, attack and decay so that the drone comes in and out smoothly.

^^^^^Exactly what tehlord said^^^^^^

Best way to solve your problem based on what you described.

There are other things that can be used but the above is most appropriate.
You can use "Enveloped Follower" like skyscrape said about, but they will precisely follow the envelope of something else. e.g.The amplitude envelope of another sound, so this can sometimes be useful when layering depending on what your trying to achieve.

Sidechain compression will do the opposite, it will attenuate the sound when the key input plays. e.g.Voice over on broadcast, or Dance music with the pads ducking to the kickdrum etc.

Cheers! I've been struggling with trying to get G8 to do this in Sonar, so I'm going to give this preFIX plugin a try now, see if I get anywhere...

Return to “Sound Design”