Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

4damind wrote:I've finished the final version of my test track I started with Serum. Will be released as "There is a place for us".

https://soundcloud.com/52degree/frank-arnold-serum
Nice job!
Really enjoyed that, good tune and mixed well.

A lot of really nice sound design in this thread so far--the Tubular Chime Drone has some real heft.

Anyway, thought I'd share another of mine. I was playing around with different filter types and was giving the formant filters a spin, so this one is a vocal ambient pad. This one is 100% Serum, no external effects.

https://soundcloud.com/kbsoundsmith/vox-ambience

It looks like a lot of people got pregnant from the Serum.

my question is: can you load any sample rate and bit rate in to Serum because i see that the 32 bits 44.1khz is where the Library tables start. can i load 64 bits 96khz files in the engine ?

cheers,.

my question is: can you load any sample rate and bit rate in to Serum because i see that the 32 bits 44.1khz is where the Library tables start. can i load 64 bits 96khz files in the engine ?
w64 files aren't officially supported but they should work for import (but they won't show in Serum's WT menus, however I don't suggest putting files there in the first place). All sample rates are supported, as in they will import - but the 'calculator' functions in Serum assume a 44100 file (so you'd need to do the math yourself in the event you're trying to type a specific source pitch). Ultimately, samples are samples, so you can type/import e.g. '2048' samples per frame(table) and it will divide your file accordingly, it doesn't care the source sample-rate. In any case can try importing for yourself w/ the demo, so there won't be any surprises that way!

PatchAdamz wrote:
4damind wrote:I've finished the final version of my test track I started with Serum. Will be released as "There is a place for us".

https://soundcloud.com/52degree/frank-arnold-serum
Nice job!
Really enjoyed that, good tune and mixed well.
Thanks! :hug:

I haven't looked into this yet (RTFM), but every time I try to open up a Serum preset, it launches the application Berna (http://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/softwares/berna/. I have Berna v1.0. I haven't moved the presets from the original install location. I hope to get some time to look into this over the weekend.

So far, have only been able to work from the default patch, which is fun! Anybody?

I've had lots of fun programming sounds in the demo so I'm definitely picking this up in the next couple of days. Serum vst works for me in a number of ways since it outputs single cycles at the length that Dune 2 can read,that can be made into WTs in Audio term. So I get a wavetable synth and single cycle creator for another synth in one. What's not to like?
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

yemski wrote:... since it outputs single cycles at the length that Dune 2 can read,that can be made into WTs in Audio term. So I get a wavetable synth and single cycle creator for another synth in one. What's not to like?
Now your thinking...... The dynamic duo indeed.

crawlingwind wrote:I haven't looked into this yet (RTFM), but every time I try to open up a Serum preset, it launches the application Berna
.fxp files are "VST Presets" which don't have a particular owner (well, they do on your machine, but opening the .fxp files aren't going to open Serum on anyone's machine). So, you don't load presets from double-clicking them in your host's filesystem, but rather from inside Serum at the top of the UI, where it says " - Init - " in blue (it's a pop-up menu).

Hope this helps!
Steve
Serum | Xfer Records

Hey everyone, Lance Thackeray here (the GUI designer)
World Class Work Lance!
Looks Beautiful with Logic X

Cheers!

PavoniMaster wrote:
World Class Work Lance!

Cheers!
+1000

Sampleconstruct wrote:
PavoniMaster wrote:
World Class Work Lance!

Cheers!
+1000
+1001!
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

bitcrusher wrote:
w64 files aren't officially supported but they should work for import (but they won't show in Serum's WT menus, however I don't suggest putting files there in the first place). All sample rates are supported, as in they will import - but the 'calculator' functions in Serum assume a 44100 file (so you'd need to do the math yourself in the event you're trying to type a specific source pitch). Ultimately, samples are samples, so you can type/import e.g. '2048' samples per frame(table) and it will divide your file accordingly, it doesn't care the source sample-rate. In any case can try importing for yourself w/ the demo, so there won't be any surprises that way!
understanding your point as for as the Rate goes . Thanks for clearing that out. i'll take your advice on not putting every snippet of sound in to Serum's WT menu. It is not practical because the sounds are not set to been processed. it still needs to be designed and calculated.
Already bought the program. because it compliments a lot.
good luck with the epic times ahead.

Two fresh Serum patches in this track, tribal drums where velocity modulates sample pitch and combfilter frequency, and a MelanCholiCaQuencer with 4 synced LFOs performing their duty, lot's of Macro tweaking on the fly while jamming the demo:

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/t ... demo-sonic

Here is a Tuvan vocal patch for Serum, half synth/half sample organically evolving (LFOs, Macros, Modwheel) and totally playable:

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... nthpadscom

Return to “Instruments”