Reason 8 - Official

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Those are the kinds of changes Cockos and Reaper make on a given Tuesday...

For fun.

Not a full version release of the "2nd most popular DAW in the World".

What you're reading there is largely a "Corporate Trickle of Features".

And you can bet that Props have every single penny of the man-hours paid for accounted for. That's why they never spent the proper man-hours to fix how poorly RE's were implemented.

Because it would have cost $$$.

And after Version 5, they know the limits on their product and have since streamlined in order to maintain maximum profit.
Last edited by Mr. Fister on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

bharris22 wrote: All of this to me still points to a .5 release, if not a lesser release, at best. Just my opinion (as a satisfied Reason 7 user) . . . .
You're not alone. :)

The problem with Props, one of them, is they believe their own hype.

Which is great for the people drinking the Kool-Aid. It further enforces their fervor for the product.

Those of us who aren't drinking the Kool-Aid are watching in amazement.

trimph1 wrote: Eleven seems, to me, to be a pretty good device. I just recently bought the thing but from what I did so far it is right up my alley.
YMMV however.
As you're in a Reason thread, can you tell me how it works with the software. I have heard that it acts as an audio interface - but can it simply be operated as an input device into an existing A/I? I also believe that you can run two channels, a clean and an FX. True?

Actually this begs another question. Is Reason 8 capable of running two simultaneous audio interfaces? Until I get my 8ch rack I would like to use my 6in/2out Zoom H6 alongside Balance*, to have a 4ch facility for a recording project I am doing.

*what a piece of shit Balance is turning out to be. More and more faulty devices are coming to the surface as the warranty expires

Meh, I'll let it slide...

neverenoughfunk wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
neverenoughfunk wrote:but you were one of the ones that thought the Balance was hot...

remember?
And that has what to do with the value between versions 6-7? :lol: Balance is hot - one of the best 2-channel audio interfaces I've ever owned. Too bad it was cancelled. :hihi:
you opinion(s)... simple as that... you thought/think Balance is "HOT"... not even Props feel the same way... i.e. it has been "CANCELLED"...

question... if the Balance is/was hot why cancel it... why no MKII version? i.e. version 2... this is if 1 + 1 = 2 and not from the "Reason Collective's" point of view...

again... we are back to personal preference(s)... not everyone preference is the same... :tu:

I use Balance. It's a great interface. Very useful with Reason.

Mr. Fister wrote:Meh, I'll let it slide...

Mr. Fister wrote:Those are the kinds of changes Cockos and Reaper make on a given Tuesday...
You aren't really joking. Just reading the change log, it can be mind boggling as to how frequent Reaper gets updated.
http://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php
A lot of those updates are minor feature additions, performance tweaks, and bug fixes, but many major feature additions are in there, too. None of them cost me $129. I might have spent that on Reaper since I began using it 8 years ago.

Reaper have what, two guys as programmers, and they release more updates than Propellerhead, who have 40 staff? Wow.

It AMAZES me when people (fanboys) like to make excuses for lack of developments and state 'oh but it takes so much coding/programming'. Uh, what? Propellerhead are A SOFTWARE COMPANY. That's their primary business. What else do we expect them to do? That would be like having sympathy for the local bakery..'poor guy, he has to bake so many loaves of bread each day'.

Maybe Props only have two programmers as well. Plus one receptionist, three massage therapists for the CEO, two accountants for the financial forecasting, six staffing the propaganda department, a limousine driver, a pilot for the Lear jet and and 24 people in the Marketing department.

I've been using Reaper for years, but never really enjoy it. I only picked it up because it was cheap and I needed a VST host. Seriously considering Studio One, but I digress...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Tronam wrote:
  • The Tool window's main quantize settings are now directly accessible in the transport panel.
  • The Duplicate function (Ctrl/Command-D) is now available for clips, notes and automation point ranges. The result is the same as copying and pasting, but works during playback and is faster. Note that the Snap setting affects the result.
  • Audio files can be dragged from the desktop to the sampler devices or specific points on the sequencer timeline, bypassing the browser completely.
  • There is a new checkbox option under Edit -> Clip Color called "Use Track Color". If checked when a MIDI clip is dragged onto another track it will take on the color of that new track.
  • There is a new checkbox option under Edit -> Channel Color and Edit -> Track Color called "Mirror Source Track Color". When checked it will ensure that any color changes will propagate across all 3 views.
  • Notes and automation points can be created or deleted by double-clicking in the MIDI editor.
  • MIDI and audio clips can be created by double-clicking in the sequencer window. Their size will be equivalent to the snap value.
  • When double-clicking in the sequencer to create clips, notes or automation points, hold the 2nd click and drag to extend them in one step.
  • The length of MIDI notes can now be adjusted from the front.
  • REX files now always display as browsable folders making it possible to audition and load individual slices without needing to load the entire loop. (This was previously only possible from within the sample playback instruments)
  • The undo history has been increased from 30 to 300+ actions. (Maximum is uncertain; My OCD has its limits)
  • The Create sub-menus for Instruments, Effects and Utilities now maintain a dynamic list of the most frequently used devices.
  • Songs with missing samples or refills now fully open and are immediately playable. The sounds can then be replaced at any time on the fly using the new missing sounds browser.
  • Naming is much more consistent between patches and the sequencer/rack/mixer views. By default when an instrument patch is loaded the rack device, track and mix channel will automatically inherit its name. This name linking can be interrupted by manually renaming the mix channel or track/device. Erasing the custom name will revert it back to being linked to the patch name.
  • Devices are now organized within developer name sub-menus.
  • The previous Creative FX and Studio FX categories have been merged. Devices now simply list as Instruments, Effects or Utilities.
  • A new menu function "Create Send FX…" simplifies adding new effects devices to the SSL send FX buses and can be done from within the sequencer, or anywhere in the rack and mixer views.
Those are cool updates :tu:

I expected they would add another synth (PX7 or Parsec) to be included in Ver. 8 but anyway they gave away some great effects in the past for free, so to be fair I think it is an interface upgrade mostly which is a good thing IMO. Is it worth it or not? It depends on how much you use it and how essential these updates are for your workflow. Otherwise, just wait for V9 next year maybe.

I just have traded my "Live" for "Reason" and I'm waiting the transfer to be done. Actually, it is a return because I did the opposite trade few months ago! But, I still like the two "Live" and "Reason". Changing from DAW to DAW doesn't mean to hate the first and fall in love with the second!

I plan to use it with Sonar X3 rewired. I might purchase Reaper and see which is matching better with Reason. I really like the cpu usage in Sonar and Reaper. I don't need to mess with Power Options like with Cubase or Studio One. Of course Reason is the lightest when it comes to cpu usage so I don't have worries about that.

EnochLight wrote:I've been using Reaper for years, but never really enjoy it. I only picked it up because it was cheap and I needed a VST host. Seriously considering Studio One, but I digress...
Digressing a little more...

I think that Reaper requires user customization to really make it comfortable, i.e., find a theme that you like, clean up the menus, install sws extensions, customize actions/buttons/keyboard/mouse, create track templates, etc., and be ready to configure some more here and there as features are added or as your needs change. You might look at Reaper as a collection of finer grain tools for setting up your daw in whatever way that works for you, where other daws are pre-configured but less customizable to user preferences. It might come down to the type of person that you are. If you're happy leaving the workflow decisions of your daw up to someone else, Reaper probably isn't the best choice. But if you like to take things into your own hands, Reaper is great.

Just to give you an example: Say that I want to set up a multi-out drum configuration. I could do it in either Reason or Reaper by setting everything up to my preferences and saving a combinator preset in Reason, or by saving a track template in Reaper. But in Reaper, I can also save full multi-track routing (however complex it might be), taylored midi remapping/velocity curves/velocity limits/midi quantization per drum, track icons and colors, create a button or shortcut key combination to recall the setup, and create a separate toolbar with custom actions accessed by some custom buttons or shortcut keys specifically for faster drum editing. In Reason? For MIDI functions, I must rely on whatever my controller offers (not much; usually velocity curve only) and make the changes in my controller as I change instruments. No custom colors, icons, actions, buttons, shortcuts, toolbars. And routing is only partially recallable in Reason. Reaper lets me do much more of what I want to do in the way that I see fit for me, and once I have it configured, it is just as easy to use but much more powerful. But, I had to put in a little work up front figuring out what I want and getting things just right.

MP3 export in Reason 8? We are in 2014......

KarmaShaman wrote:Reaper have what, two guys as programmers, and they release more updates than Propellerhead, who have 40 staff? Wow.

It AMAZES me when people (fanboys) like to make excuses for lack of developments and state 'oh but it takes so much coding/programming'. Uh, what? Propellerhead are A SOFTWARE COMPANY. That's their primary business. What else do we expect them to do? That would be like having sympathy for the local bakery..'poor guy, he has to bake so many loaves of bread each day'.

Maybe Props only have two programmers as well. Plus one receptionist, three massage therapists for the CEO, two accountants for the financial forecasting, six staffing the propaganda department, a limousine driver, a pilot for the Lear jet and and 24 people in the Marketing department.

Probably too busy coding REs. PH has released 5 of them since version 7 launched.

Uh huh. And how many RE's has Pitchblende coded in the same period? Do they have a staff of 40?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”