Satin 1.2 Released (rev 2577)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Would dB on the individual tap volumes make sense?

sascha wrote:Ok, I see your point, which is probably easy to implement. So, you'd be fine with, say, '-20 : -0.92dB' instead of '10 : 90'? Just to clarify: this doesn't mean we change the scaling of the knob; it would still be linear.
I don't understand how you would get, say, 0.5dB per step when the knob is still linear. Seems like that the knob and display would both have to be in dB steps for this concept to work.

Given that previous releases of Satin used a linear scale, and the industry practice of using a linear scale for the Mix setting, I think it will be necessary to preserve the linear scale to make existing Satin users happy. Thus, I like your idea of having 0.01% resolution in 'fine-tune' mode (when using the linear scale).

I suggest:
a) a right-click option on the Mix knob, labeled "dB steps"
b) dB steps option is disabled by default
c) 0.5dB per step, both with the knob and in the display when the dB steps option is enabled
d) a range of -70dB to 0dB.

Urs wrote: We'll see. It's basically all there, but it crashed last time we tried. I'm not sure how much more effort is needed to make it work. My current priority is Bazille though until it is released. Some time thereafter I'll try to get a Rack Extension development workflow back up and running.
Thanks for the update, Urs. We look forward to it. :)

edit

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi,
it's not in the works, nor has it been canceled, nor has it been scheduled. :)
Lets see what happens next year. This year is practically "planned".
Cheers,
Michael

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

True but he somehow disappeared and never finished his job.

Chapelle wrote:Thanks for your answer Michael. :) But I thought it was a external developer that worked on it?
Yeah, sorry, it started before Michael came to us. We haven't heard from the external developer since.

We might give it another go soon, and we might give a more moderate demo limitation another go as well. Now that Bazille is out (and super stable, as it seems), we can breathe again :)

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello, I am demo'ing Satin as we speak and think it sounds great.
I am using Bidule as a host and having hardware synths routed into Satin, finally a great Tape Flange. That's all I really wanted it for.

Thanks and what a nice sounding plug in.

Greetings Uhe!

I purchased Satin today after demoing various competitor tape simulation plugins and have to comment that in my opinion there is no competition to Satin. Excellent product Uhe! With regards to parameters, I used to work with various 1/4 inch machines in the 80's and remember the "print through" issue. If you could add a tweakable "print through" paramater this would be icing on the cake so to speak.

Best Regards,
James (aka coolredguitar)

Print through (tape bleed) is caused by analog tape storage issues, not by the machine.

You could replicate it in your DAW pretty easily.

Best.

Rusty Cadillac wrote:Print through (tape bleed) is caused by analog tape storage issues, not by the machine.

You could replicate it in your DAW pretty easily.

Best.
It's actually not all that easy... as you record the diameter of the tape on the reel grows and thus the pre-delay of the bleed rises. Therefore, the bled through copy that you hear before the actual recording is pitched a tad lower. Hence there should be some subtle beating, possibly fattening the sound a little. To do this convincingly, you need to pre-delay the audio material at a slightly lower sample rate :clown:

(as for a tape bleed option, I think it needs a lot of plug-in latency, maybe more than some hosts are happy to lend to a plug-in)

On a general note, isn't it a bit funny that we appear to yearn for all those pesky artifacts that darkened our days in the old analog times?

I readily admit to buying Photoshop and Final Cut Pro X plug-ins that mimick light damage, badly fixed images, grain the size of golf balls, negative scratches, jitter from damaged film perforations, and so on, and so forth.

But I can do without tape print through, thank you very much! ;-) I've got all I need of that taste, transferring stacks of old cassette tapes and trying to minimize the pre-echoes…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “u-he”