Acoustica bugs / feature suggestions

Official support for: acondigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Willie!
WillieFloyd wrote:Hi, i've played a bit with the trial and want to add my suggestions as well. My list so far:

1. 64-bit native support. That's an issue i'm currently having with Sound Forge as well, bit-bridging the plugins lead only to instabilities and crashes.
2. AC3 import.
3. The ability to edit individual channels. As it is now, if i select just the left channel (or a part of it) and cut/paste/insert, the right channel is being affected too).
4. The ability to insert individual markers, not only region markers.
5. Manipulate the information values on the bottom of each track. For example, set the cursor position by altering the Cusror coordinates, or select a region by entering the timecodes in the Selection fields.
6. Brush mode for the waveform.
7. Generate custom frequency tones such as MF/DTMF, white, pink and brown noise.
8. Change the ASIO latency within the program.
9. Floating windows and a choice for a dark GUI colour would be nice additions.

I think there's a lot of potential within Acoustica, thanks for your time.
Thanks for the feedback! 64 bit support is planned for version 7 as well as improved editing of individual channels and improved latency. Unfortunately, we cannot support AC3 import legally as Dolby don't allow this. You can already insert individual markers - these are called "labels" in Acoustica.

You can also generate sine tones as well as white, pink and brown noise using the signal generator from the sound menu.

Best,
Stian

It seems i was really hasty when looking at the program. I didn't try the labels and i don't know how i missed the signal generator - it's there and no one can miss it, besides myself that is... A question though, why is the generator greyed out except only when making a selection on the wave? And about the included restoration suite in the premium version, i see that you have released an updated version of the plug-ins. Do you offer updates in the Acoustica module as well every time that happens (something like v6.1), or on every next major version such as the forthcoming 7th release?

Good to know about the future support for individual channel editing and of course for the 64-bit editions.

WillieFloyd wrote:It seems i was really hasty when looking at the program. I didn't try the labels and i don't know how i missed the signal generator - it's there and no one can miss it, besides myself that is... A question though, why is the generator greyed out except only when making a selection on the wave? And about the included restoration suite in the premium version, i see that you have released an updated version of the plug-ins. Do you offer updates in the Acoustica module as well every time that happens (something like v6.1), or on every next major version such as the forthcoming 7th release?

Good to know about the future support for individual channel editing and of course for the 64-bit editions.
The signal generator is implemented as an effect plug-in so it overwrites the original content instead of inserting the signal. I have to admit that the approach is slightly counter-intuitive so we'll probably change that in version 7. Version 6.1 including the updated Restoration Suite is planned before Christmas.

Best,
Stian

Nice. So, i'm basically between two choices. One is the standard version plus the restoration suite but i will miss the signal restoration, and the second is the premium version which has it all but i presume that i won't be able to use the restoration suite as plugins inside other software. In any case, the next major release is more likely to be my next editor as i see it. You were most helpful with your answers, that's a solid combination with the quality software you provide.

WillieFloyd wrote:Nice. So, i'm basically between two choices. One is the standard version plus the restoration suite but i will miss the signal restoration, and the second is the premium version which has it all but i presume that i won't be able to use the restoration suite as plugins inside other software. In any case, the next major release is more likely to be my next editor as i see it. You were most helpful with your answers, that's a solid combination with the quality software you provide.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that!

Best,
Stian

Guess i have to bug you once more. But that's because Acoustica really grows on me. Stable and fast, flexible, with a handful of features and a clean interface.

Now on to the criticism on a few more aspects. Generally i don't care about the included beautifying effects in an editor, there are tons of good free and paid plug-ins for that purpose. But nice to have them in any case. Some effects though, carry a special weight because they are more relevant to the editing part than others. Here's a few things i don't like.

The bit depth converter is very weak. It lacks the options to shape the noise and change the type of dithering, using a fixed algorithm instead. In an extreme paradigm, downsampling a low volume track from 24-bit to 8-bit produces lots of hiss. Its integration with the sample rate converter is another issue. You cannot bypass one or another, meaning that should you only want either depth conversion or resampling (even if you match the bit depth or the sample rate with your waveform) it applies unnecessary conversion to both. Also, i don't know in which order it processes the conversions (ideally would be working with the highest depth - altering the bits prior the hz when upsampling, the opposite when downsampling) but this way you cannot change the sequence. An on/off button on each module or a separation of the two would make more sense in my opinion. It also misses a preview option, and can't be added to the effects chain like the others, so you have to apply the conversion to hear the result.

The same goes more or less with the time stretch transform. Lack of antialiasing filters leave an obvious robotic effect on the sound, even at 110%.

I've had good results with the transpose function, the equalisers and compressors are ok, the cleaning tools are great.

Some synths aren't recognised for some reason, the Zebralette and Alchemy Player for example. Maybe that's because Acoustica doesn't have a keyboard instrument? I can't say if there's support for VST3.

Tab options with a right-click menu such as save all, close all or close other tabs, would be very handy when dealing with many files.

The standard edition of Acoustica and the plug-in version of the restoration suite seem a better choice for me - if only for the instant updates and versatility of the latter. If you consider on including the signal/noise generator in the standard edition as well, or maybe a plug-in version, i won't say no!

My conclusion is that Acoustica is far more than decent, especially for the price. In fact it's like Sound Forge without the bloat, i can do almost anything i did with Sound Forge in a slight different way. Not to mention the addition of multitrack editing, the unique LP transfer wizard, and other practical tools such as the great collection of meters and analysis graphs. I think by keeping the simple automatisms to the already available tools but giving more advanced quality options for those who want them, is the key.

--

EDIT: I ran into another issue with a plug. DMG Equilibrium equaliser is not showing as it should, half of its screen is hidden, as though the window can't be scaled to show all the contents. It has a built-in resizing option, so i have to go to the plugs' settings and change the size to small. Then i can see more, but still a part from the bottom doesn't show, and when starting it up again it goes back to its previous state. A similar problem i had with some of MeldaProductions' plugs too but not in that degree, when restarting the issues were gone.

Hi Willie!

I'm sorry for my late reply.
WillieFloyd wrote:Guess i have to bug you once more. But that's because Acoustica really grows on me. Stable and fast, flexible, with a handful of features and a clean interface.
Thanks - that's a good sign, I guess... :)
WillieFloyd wrote:The bit depth converter is very weak. It lacks the options to shape the noise and change the type of dithering, using a fixed algorithm instead. In an extreme paradigm, downsampling a low volume track from 24-bit to 8-bit produces lots of hiss. Its integration with the sample rate converter is another issue. You cannot bypass one or another, meaning that should you only want either depth conversion or resampling (even if you match the bit depth or the sample rate with your waveform) it applies unnecessary conversion to both. Also, i don't know in which order it processes the conversions (ideally would be working with the highest depth - altering the bits prior the hz when upsampling, the opposite when downsampling) but this way you cannot change the sequence. An on/off button on each module or a separation of the two would make more sense in my opinion. It also misses a preview option, and can't be added to the effects chain like the others, so you have to apply the conversion to hear the result.
The sample rate conversion module is one of the oldest in Acoustica, so I agree that there's room for improvements. You can separate sample rate conversions from the bit depth conversion, however. If the target sample rate is identical to the original, the signal is not processed by the sample rate conversion. I see your point regarding the order, though.
WillieFloyd wrote:The same goes more or less with the time stretch transform. Lack of antialiasing filters leave an obvious robotic effect on the sound, even at 110%.
Anti-aliasing is not necessary in time stretching algorithms, since there is no frequency scaling going on. However, time stretching is in a physical sense impossible to achieve. The algorithms trick the brain in order to achieve their effect. The time stretching in Acoustica should be very good when compared to other solutions, although artifacts are noticeable.
WillieFloyd wrote:Some synths aren't recognised for some reason, the Zebralette and Alchemy Player for example. Maybe that's because Acoustica doesn't have a keyboard instrument? I can't say if there's support for VST3.
Synths are omitted from the list on purpose since Acoustica doesn't support MIDI. VST3 is currently not supported.
WillieFloyd wrote:Tab options with a right-click menu such as save all, close all or close other tabs, would be very handy when dealing with many files.
Good idea, duly noted...
WillieFloyd wrote:The standard edition of Acoustica and the plug-in version of the restoration suite seem a better choice for me - if only for the instant updates and versatility of the latter. If you consider on including the signal/noise generator in the standard edition as well, or maybe a plug-in version, i won't say no!

My conclusion is that Acoustica is far more than decent, especially for the price. In fact it's like Sound Forge without the bloat, i can do almost anything i did with Sound Forge in a slight different way. Not to mention the addition of multitrack editing, the unique LP transfer wizard, and other practical tools such as the great collection of meters and analysis graphs. I think by keeping the simple automatisms to the already available tools but giving more advanced quality options for those who want them, is the key.
I'm glad to hear that. Improved workflow is definitely something we'll focus on in the future.
WillieFloyd wrote:EDIT: I ran into another issue with a plug. DMG Equilibrium equaliser is not showing as it should, half of its screen is hidden, as though the window can't be scaled to show all the contents. It has a built-in resizing option, so i have to go to the plugs' settings and change the size to small. Then i can see more, but still a part from the bottom doesn't show, and when starting it up again it goes back to its previous state. A similar problem i had with some of MeldaProductions' plugs too but not in that degree, when restarting the issues were gone.
Unfortunately, Acoustica doesn't support resizable GUIs at the time being. There's a flag for this in the VST specification, but some plug-ins seem to ignore the flag.

Best,
Stian

I'm interested in Acoustica, do you see it working with Equilibrium anytime soon ...?

wulfye wrote:I'm interested in Acoustica, do you see it working with Equilibrium anytime soon ...?
Thanks! We will definitely address that, but it might not be before version 7.

Best,
Stian

Hi
I noticed that Acoustica got silently updated last week, but i don't see any changelog nor on Kvr, nor on Twitter, nor on the website : is there any changelog available somewhere ?

Hi!
sinkmusic wrote:Hi
I noticed that Acoustica got silently updated last week, but i don't see any changelog nor on Kvr, nor on Twitter, nor on the website : is there any changelog available somewhere ?
Here are the fixes in the latest build:
  • VST plug-ins received incorrect sample format in some cases
  • Rare freezes when importing ogg files
Best,
Stian

Thank you.

I have a couple of feature requests for the batch processor, which would really help when working with samples.

1) Normalize
2) Strip silence
3) Add loop points

Thanks!

a big +1 for these requests.

Henbane wrote:I have a couple of feature requests for the batch processor, which would really help when working with samples.

1) Normalize
2) Strip silence
3) Add loop points

Thanks!
Thanks for these suggestions. Normalize is already planned for version 7 (one of the most requested features, actually). Strip silence would be a nice addition, and I'll see if we can get this in as well. I guess we should add this as a menu command as well.

Setting loop points is a bit trickier. Should they be set depending on the audio? We're looking at different options for scripting which would make this possible.

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”