How does Diva's CPU load compare with the synths of 2014?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

what I can say is that Diva uses all cores of your CPU. Most softsynths including Reaktor/Monark use only one core, therefore use much more CPU resource.

Diva is very efficient. It can run on very limited resources like a recent Atom CPU.

All Diva needs is a Filter bypass option and Audio in to make it that much better. .
:borg:

Well,

As for updates: Sure, there are plans. Things depend a lot of factors. We have plans for every product, including Filterscape which I haven't updated with new features in 10 years. The past year or two went by pretty much with nothing else than structural changes at u-he. We hope to become more efficient in maintaining old plug-ins, while at the same time finishing all those projects that had been sitting in drawers.

Specifically for Diva: We have very cool plans for a new oscillator model and a new effect. We also have a half-way-there filter emulation. Can't say if and when. Maybe for the Frankfurt trade show next year.

We'll see :-)

Urs wrote:Specifically for Diva: We have very cool plans for a new oscillator model and a new effect. We also have a half-way-there filter emulation. Can't say if and when. Maybe for the Frankfurt trade show next year.
Awesome!

Some people here saying to use Diva in draft mode!? I really don't see the point, as the sound quality is the best thing about this synth. Just use freeze track if you're running out of CPU.

Quick question to Urs - with the multi processing button on, if I have multiple instances of Diva, wouldn't this actually reduce performance?

Say I have 3 instances of Diva playing multiple voices, and have multi core enabled on each of them. I would imagine that each synth spreading it's load over all the cores would actually create extra work for the CPU?

When is it best to enable multi core?

Eta Carinae wrote:When is it best to enable multi core?
It depends on the system. We recommend to use multicore for 2-4 instances and freeze the others. The overhead for thread switches isn't too bad since, say, Sandy Bridge.

Eta Carinae wrote:Some people here saying to use Diva in draft mode!? I really don't see the point, as the sound quality is the best thing about this synth. Just use freeze track if you're running out of CPU.
Draft mode for sketching, divine for rendering of course.

Freezing doesn't really help e.g. on Ableton. Don't know why.

Permanent freeze/unfreeze is a workflow killer for me.

i think diva usage is fine, and sounds good enough for final render even in just the second quality mode. of course, it is essential to engage multi thread. this is what gives it a unique advantage in resource usage as that's a very rare option for a vst plugin to have it's own multithread independant of the host.

Unless i am imagining things here, i think it can also max out the host more by using this method.. what i mean is, that the host will crack and pop at a higher overall cpu percentage than when diva multithread is off. is it using cycles of available power outside what the host is able to access itself? (i.e is diva multithreading in it's own seperate process?) I dunno, but it works. No probs using 3 or 4 of them for pads even on a very average old macbook like mine.

it's actually usable on my machine where things like oxium are simply not. Lush was barely usable either but i think they also added multithread now. spire destroys my cpu, the resource usage of THAT one is horrid.

I decided to Demo Ace and Bazille because why not and my gosh the text anti-aliasing and gamma options are nice! Do you plan to add these things to Diva? They make things look all nice and polished. :D The additional scope options would be really nice also.

So far it performs pretty good using the "great" option.

Actually on draft i could easily use multiple instances in a project very easily.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

KingTuck wrote:The additional scope options would be really nice also.
I will quickly update my opinion here by making it known that the fire scope option is too much fun to look at :D .

Diva has basically ruined me for other softsynths. I fire up one of the other virtual analogs and expect that sort of glorious, warm squishy analog sound and...meh.

I own literally dozens of softsynths, and yet Diva is on my default channel strip.

Yeah, it hammers my CPU pretty hard when I get a couple of instances running (especially since it's usually running through Decapitator, Echoboy, and/or something Slate) but it's totally worth it. I am not exaggerating when I say it has completely changed the way I write and arrange tracks.

I've certainly spent more than my fair share of time running a big analog lead through a huge hall reverb and pretending I'm Vangelis and it's 1984. :)

That said, I wouldn't mind more filter and osc options! Maybe some sort of unusual, squelchy transistor-based filter of the type that defined entire genres of music 20 years ago would be nifty [cough303cough].

My two year old computer was handling about four instances of Diva (albeit in draft/offline best mode) and four of Bazille just fine yesterday. I've maxxed out the buffer size on my ASIO driver but I think that's pretty darn good.

personally I always use one instance of a VSTi and render to audio. Similar to the old days where you recorded your hardware synth to an audio track. I see that this method is very much outdated because today people like to run a dozen of VSTi's at the same time.

Of course I use more than one VSTi in a project; but only one Diva instance.

I downloaded the demo and love it.
Luckily I use hardware synths and this is my first VST Synth other than Kontakt for samples.
I have a fast ASRock rig for live work and Bidule is lean, so 4 x instances of Satin and Diva at max quality is no sweat.

Seems that 4/8 Cores is no biggie, running @ 4.6GHz w/ 32GBs @ 1866.
Maybe it's the Samsung XP941 or the Plextor M6e..who knows..who cares.
This dog will hunt.

Return to “u-he”