MacOS Yosemite anybody?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Downloaded and installed on a external disk because Beta 6 still had some issues with menus in Dark mode.

Almost everything else worked flawlessly. Still, I prefer to wait until 10.10.1 update based on my 10 years OS X experience to get a more polished production system.

I would also be interested in the improvements (snappier?, workflow improvements). Mavericks works quite well here, so I am wondering about the benefits of upgrade vs. the risk of breaking things that work...

FAW Circle needs reactivating in both Logic and Traction. Unfortunately, the serial doesn't work which seems odd. This must be a Circle/Yosemite thing. Anyone else?

Email sent to support anyway, will let you know what they say.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Boot time is a bit slower but from what I know there isn't any performance hit compared to Mavericks. Most improvements are on the GUI side and iPad or iPhone users will really like features like handoff and continuity. It's really cool to pick and make phone calls straight from your desk, send SMS, etc.

My advice is getting a external USB disk and installing there to see what works and what doesn't.

Edit: after some research VMWare 6 seems to work fine, so once 10.10.1 is out this Mac will be updated.

By the way, all our plug-ins still work as good as with Mavericks :)

I'm waiting to see compatibility reports, I don't want to spend a weekend to reinstall everything.

So far, I read the Midisport interfaces don't work on Yosemite... I have four of them (2x Midisport Uno and 2x Midisport 2x2) and, although I'm not using them anymore (I have 2 Motu Micro Express now), I kept them as spare just in case I need some additional ports. If I were to upgrade my music-only MacMini, then I could only use them with my old Macbook which can't be upgraded past 10.7. :?

As far as the other devices and software I have, a few are reported to work while there's no info for most of them.

I'd really like to try Yosemite, but I don't want to compromise an almost perfectly working setup.

More bloat of stuff I don't care about. I would just like a lean OS where I have the ability to free up CPU/RAM resources by turning off 'features' that I couldn't give a toss about.

Loading a project in LPX on Mavericks is a wee bit slow the first time it is loaded. If I've quit and then re-loaded, without restarting the computer, it is incredibly fast, much faster than loading a LP9 project.

From my experience, too, OS updates take a while to 'settle in' and perform optimally. This is the first time I am not jumping in without taking the time to watch others' experiences. So, I'll just stay in popcorn mode for now.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

The only thing that interests me about Yosemite is the better iOS integration, particularly with iCloud drive. It's extremely annoying that Apple have tied this to having to update to a new OS, why it couldn't just be an addon to Mavericks is just spiteful, particularly when Windows users can access it through an app, it would have been trivial for Apple to just do the same for Mac users. I'm hoping that some enterprising third party comes up with a way to circumvent this (just as I see an iOS developer has already created an iCloud Drive Explorer app since Apple didn't think to include such a thing themselves).

Windows' history has shown us what happens first on a productive system: all the performance-eating rubbish like transparency, reflections, shadows and space-wasting theme features are turned OFF - not enforced. So... how hard can it be to integrate an option to keep the menu bar and dock transparent, but turn the "new" transparency off for everything else?!

First they take away the optional 2D dock in Mavs, for no apparent reason, and now we have to look at something that looks like squinting through an eyeful of milk. And sorry, but that new font just looks wrong. Too bold and too widely spaced, not good for reading.

They say they wanted to move away from skeuomorphism, but then they use shadowed 3D cog wheels (sys pref) and use text in icons (Maps)...? Are you kidding me? The overall move isn't "away from skeuomorphism", but "away from an unobtrusive background system to SOMETHING THAT SEEKS ATTENTION BY SHOUTING BRIGHT COLOURS IN BIG CIRCLES RIGHT AT YOUR FACE ALL THE TIME".
Thereby basically eliminating the main reason I prefer OSX over Windows so much.

Feels more like candy iOS8 HD than a new OSX.
That guy Jobs shoulda stayed alive a few more years.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

aMUSEd wrote:The only thing that interests me about Yosemite is the better iOS integration, particularly with iCloud drive.
With Yosemite AirDrop also works between OS X and iOS devices.
chokehold wrote:And sorry, but that new font just looks wrong. Too bold and too widely spaced, not good for reading.
I agree, the new font does not look very good with non-retina displays.

George wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:The only thing that interests me about Yosemite is the better iOS integration, particularly with iCloud drive.
With Yosemite AirDrop also works between OS X and iOS devices.
Yeah but I don't care about that (and there are third party apps that do that already) - iCloud Drive support is really what I need as iOS apps save to it as a matter of course so I would like to be able to access it from my Mac without having to update to Yosemite - it finally creates a central file space for the whole ecosystem.

Actually there is a sort of solution - it turns out that the web interface to iCloud Drive works properly now (it didn't last time I tried):

https://www.icloud.com/#iclouddrive

You can use this to create folders and upload/download documents etc. Not as good as having this integrated into Finder but better than nothing.

penguinfromdeep wrote:Does it feel snappier?
Yes. Snappier™

I am quite happy with this update. Everything is working fine for me. Bitwig, Machine, lots of plug-ins, no problems so far.

But I've already experienced the real benefits. Today I was on the couch with my laptop and my phone rang, which was in my bedroom. I just hit answer on my computer and had the conversation over the macbook speakers/microphone. That's awesome. Plus normal texts on the macbook. The continuity stuff is great too.

With the iCloud drive I might actually start using some things on the iPad that I never would have before. The whole file storage per app thing drove me nuts. Seems like iCloud might be a great way to store things I'd like to access sometimes like samples!

I also quite like the new safari. Not only that but my time machine backup magically started working again without having to do a big reset which is annoying. Can't say I mind the fonts either.

There's other useful things to like being able to connect to apple tv without going through your network apparently. Haven't tried that yet. I think most of the benefits are if you have other apple things they all work very well together.

Is it true that the fonts in Yosemite are even more blurry than in Mavericks? I read you need a retina display, otherwise reading is a pain for eyes. I would like to buy a new macbook pro, connected to a normal external monitor. Actually I just need it for Logic and AUs (for the rest I find Windows 7 much better: the workflow seems to be faster and everything looks less "cheesy" so to speak... last but not least, fonts are far more readable and comfortable in Windows than in OSX).

mhog wrote:Is it true that the fonts in Yosemite are even more blurry than in Mavericks? I read you need a retina display, otherwise reading is a pain for eyes. I would like to buy a new macbook pro, connected to a normal external monitor. Actually I just need it for Logic and AUs (for the rest I find Windows 7 much better: the workflow seems to be faster and everything looks less "cheesy" so to speak... last but not least, fonts are far more readable and comfortable in Windows than in OSX).
Er... No. Fonts are fine in Yosemite on non-retina displays.

penguinfromdeep wrote:Does it feel snappier?
Phase47 wrote:Yes. Snappier™
Cool bro.
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”