Great track(s) on otherwise forgettable album ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

eleanor rigby wasn't on sgt. pepper was it? i'd thought it was the b-side to the yellow submarine single...

mutantdog wrote:"the best tune off the second album by a band that's first album was a classic"
Sombody needs to start that thread!

Tubular Bells - I like the title track, but everything else on there is shit.

goodies, the funky gibbon.

God Only Knows is the only good song from Pet Sounds..the rest makes me want to vomit. I'm probably in the minority on that.

bluedad wrote:God Only Knows is the only good song from Pet Sounds..the rest makes me want to vomit. I'm probably in the minority on that.
i like the whole album with the exception of sloop john b, however im posting just to say, not content with screwing up perfect day years back the bbc have now ruined god only knows as well. bastards.

robojam wrote:Tubular Bells - I like the title track, but everything else on there is shit.
there are only 2 tracks :shrug: not so keen on the 2nd, but the 1st is still one of my favourite listens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTZG4e6zJr4

Ian McDonald - Let There Be Light on his album Driver's Eyes
"It dreamed itself along"

Back in the '70s there was a heavy rock band called Angel that was noted for having one really good song per album. Their first two albums: Angel - "Tower", Helluva Band - "The Fortune". Nearly all of the rest was forgettable stadium rock.

bluedad wrote:God Only Knows is the only good song from Pet Sounds..the rest makes me want to vomit. I'm probably in the minority on that.
Yeah, I'm with you there; never understood why it's so lauded. Pleasant enough but...

I can think of plenty of albums I've bought on the strength of a single that didn't live up to expectations... maybe Janes Addictions 'ritual de lo habitual', can still nod my head along to 'been caught stealing' but no recollection at all of the other tracks...

vurt wrote:
i like the whole album with the exception of sloop john b
+1

A masterpiece album, imo.
Except for the horrible Sloop John B refrain. Worst version ever of a classic folk tune.

vurt wrote:goodies, the funky gibbon.
:lol: :lol: We used to have that album in our house when I was a boy.

How about reversing this thread as well so that its something like
" what one song spoils an otherwise perfect album "
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

how about... ratt: 'round and round' from the 'out of the cellar' album? it's not so much that the overall album was terrible (which it wasn't), but that 'round and round' was such an epic song. ymmv

There was that one hit band "Whale" with "Hobo-humpin' slomo something something...lol.

As for Pet Sounds, I bought it sometime in the past year. Basically, I just wanted to try and hear what production techniques were considered so revolutionary back then. I concluded that it's just not going to be helpful to me in these times. Still classic, but gathering dust here.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”