How many presets do you develop in a month (average) and how many of it do you keep?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well the title says it all :)

Recently I've been making one a day on average, usually with multiple variations of the same patch. I'd spend many hours tweaking it until I'm totally satisfied with it. These days I avoid saving mediocre presets and try and shape each one as best as I can. If it fails, I bin it.

good question!

I usually don't save patches, just open and program the synth from scratch or play with other patches...

I save "interesting" ideas and cool oscfx combinations and something like that to have for reference when I'm building a patch bank.

When I'm in my patch bank building period, I usually make about 2-3 a day on average? (without XY control assignments and usually leaving complete MW and AT hookups and optimizations till the end)

Since I save interesting stuff, I rarely chuck away or delete patches (prefer to not save and start over if something just isn't turning out good)
When building a patch bank, instead of deleting patches, I put them aside if they don't really "fit" the theme/vibe/feel of the bank.

I'm glad I'm not alone, here:
tedlogan wrote:...These days I avoid saving mediocre presets and try and shape each one as best as I can. If it fails, I bin it.
3ee wrote:...(prefer to not save and start over if something just isn't turning out good).
I find that when I'm not "inspired" in the direction of creating a nice patch, if I'm "not inspired" enough to screw it up to begin with, then I'm certainly "not inspired" enough to try to fix it! :O

In my case, I'll probably take more time later this fall, as the weather cools down - transition to "indoor-mode" - and get a few things off my plate and give fuller attention to it... :D

It totally depends....These days, not as many, maybe 1-3 per track that I work on (and time-wise, per month). But when I'm just wanting to get some patches made cause I plan to do a lot of tracks or finish a bunch, then easily 3-4 a day. I like to make patches first, then do a track, as well as get in the middle of a track, then stop and make a patch or two to use in it, it just varies.

But if the OP is asking about what % we 'keep' or use, then I'd say about 2/3 are keepers, but I'm either pretty good or lazy by now I guess ha-ha. :hihi: It helps when you only have/use 5 or 6 synths, you get to know them better, and bend them to make them sound closer to what you had in mind to start with. Practice helps. I know I've thrown away 4X-5X what I've kept patch/sample-wise, and that's just since I went pro/commercial. Before that.....forget about it, like 20 : 1 ha-ha.

Return to “u-he”