Bitwig Studio 1.1 life

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheoM wrote:thanks for answering re the fades.. so you CAN create gain handle type automation fades on a clip then copy, loop that clip with those in tact? (i am talking about making the fades in the editor on the lower part of the screen, at least, that's what i understand you to mean when you say that's where one can do it)
If you loop, the fades repeat with the loop; you would have to use track automation to get a single fade at the start or end up a looped clip I think.

http://i.imgur.com/qRXAADW.gif

Ogopogo wrote:
TheoM wrote:thanks for answering re the fades.. so you CAN create gain handle type automation fades on a clip then copy, loop that clip with those in tact? (i am talking about making the fades in the editor on the lower part of the screen, at least, that's what i understand you to mean when you say that's where one can do it)
If you loop, the fades repeat with the loop; you would have to use track automation to get a single fade at the start or end up a looped clip I think.

Take an FX layer container throw a tool in it.
delete the tool.

Now just automate the gain on that layer. This is how I do all gain automation when doing an arrangement. It also goes to -inf so it would go lower then just using a tool plugin. This works great and I used to do the same in ableton live so I didn't lock faders to automations.

Would be very easy to do fades with this very quickly. I usually have it at the end of my device chain for whatever channel i'm using it for. Fades would be cool but not really needed imo.

Sorry, guys'n gals, had a connection problem here, KVR was superslow for a while and ate my reply:
My information about Omnisphere and Trillian was wrong. Claes started working on it but it seems to be a weird one and needs more investigation, probably some help from the devs at spectrasonic.
So not solved yet and no date, but definitely on the list and looked into.

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Hey thomas is it worth sending in a bug report after the beta crashes and we open it again and it says send crash report. Like I know exactly why my ish crashed (well im pretty sure lol) but I sent in a crash report like bitwig asks. Is that all that needs to be done? Or should I go the extra mile?
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

ThomasHelzle wrote:
jaesm wrote:
KTlin wrote:I really hope that Halion will work in Bitwig 1.1 :pray:
If you are referring to Halion 5 then... no. Just tried it. Still no love there.
Can you remind me - what was the problem with Halion? Doesn't show up at all? Crashes?
ThomasHelzle wrote:Downloaded the Demo of Halion 5 and indeed it doesn't work.
It's scanned correctly but crashes on instance loading.
I created a ticket for it.
Hi there Tom. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, but I see you've found what's going on with Halion in Bitwig meanwhile.
Indeed, it crashes on instance loading. Strangely (somehow), it works flawlessly if opened inside Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork or MB7 plugins. This is the workaround I use in order to get Halion into Bitwig.

Thanks for your help :tu:

qtheerearranger wrote:Hey thomas is it worth sending in a bug report after the beta crashes and we open it again and it says send crash report. Like I know exactly why my ish crashed (well im pretty sure lol) but I sent in a crash report like bitwig asks. Is that all that needs to be done? Or should I go the extra mile?
Filling out that crash-report-requester with as much detail as you can on the circumstances is crucial for bugfixing, since it can also send the exact place in the code where the crash occurred. So it's usually much more to the point, since often you think, well, I opened this or that dialogue and then it crashed, but the actual cause of the crash may be something completely different that was triggered by certain events in the background.

Normally filling out this requester is enough, it automatically is inserted into the bug database with high priority and if the same crash occurred before it is paired with it's siblings.

Cheeers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ThomasHelzle wrote: My information about Omnisphere and Trillian was wrong. Claes started working on it but it seems to be a weird one and needs more investigation, probably some help from the devs at spectrasonic.
So not solved yet and no date, but definitely on the list and looked into.
They should ask developer of other DAWs how they deal with it, as all other DAWs that I've tried show the names. Maybe they have some buddies from Ableton or NI to ask in the neighbourhood? Either way, I hope it gets sorted soon. Glad they are working on it.

Found one problem.
The shortcut to deactivate tracks or mute clips (ctrl+alt+d) is the same as slice to drum machine.
Now its not possible to slice to drum machine by the shortcut :(
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

ronnyrydgren wrote:Found one problem.
The shortcut to deactivate tracks or mute clips (ctrl+alt+d) is the same as slice to drum machine.
Now its not possible to slice to drum machine by the shortcut :(
Yeah, nobody is really happy with those two shortcuts here either. It's currently under discussion if one shortcut would be enough to toggle it, although that doesn't make a mixed multi-selection explicit as does having two. So for Live use, a toggle wouldn't be as defined.
What do you guys think? Is that an important aspect for you or is having only one shortcut better overall?

Cheers,

Tom

I do find it strange that the activate/deactivate has two shortcut keys rather than a single one to toggle the state. If ctrl-alt-d is used elsewhere, then it doesn't matter to me which command they use, there are plenty of free keys+modifiers to use. Though they are currently using ctrl-alt-a for activate.

goatgirl wrote:I do find it strange that the activate/deactivate has two shortcut keys rather than a single one to toggle the state..
+1

Ogopogo wrote:

Perfect... using clip gain automation to do fades is no different to me than fade handles, especially the way you showed it in your link. Cheers

billcarroll wrote:
TheoM wrote: Also, sorry to ask again, but can the arrange page tracks be zoomed vertically now?
No vertical zoom. You can switch between single or double track height, but you can only zoom on the arrange by using an automation lane.

Thanks Bill.. I guess this might be a paradigm they will stick with, how big is double height/ is it big enough for at least seeing where something needs to be spliced etc?

Also you are on mac osx also yes? How is the performance these days?

Have you tried using a second program in sync with it with jack?

The issue I am having is that i am hugely addicted to reason but i am having cpu overloads with it all the time (same problem as i had 2 years back) - if i rewire it into any rewire master, ALL of reason's processing gets stacked on one core.. but i was thinking if i used bitwig and jack maybe i could have reason AND bitwig both using multi cores in different processing spaces and basically being able to totally max out my machine properly. Cheers

TheoM wrote:
billcarroll wrote:
TheoM wrote: Also, sorry to ask again, but can the arrange page tracks be zoomed vertically now?
No vertical zoom. You can switch between single or double track height, but you can only zoom on the arrange by using an automation lane.

Thanks Bill.. I guess this might be a paradigm they will stick with, how big is double height/ is it big enough for at least seeing where something needs to be spliced etc?

Also you are on mac osx also yes? How is the performance these days?

Have you tried using a second program in sync with it with jack?

The issue I am having is that i am hugely addicted to reason but i am having cpu overloads with it all the time (same problem as i had 2 years back) - if i rewire it into any rewire master, ALL of reason's processing gets stacked on one core.. but i was thinking if i used bitwig and jack maybe i could have reason AND bitwig both using multi cores in different processing spaces and basically being able to totally max out my machine properly. Cheers
Double height on the arrange page isn't high enough for me, when you open an automation lane you can get roughly 7 cm additional height which is pretty darn good.

Performance seems fine, although Bitwig really needs the ability to display performance per plugin. Overall performance metering is almost useless. Often there is an offending plugin causing issues. Once such example was Phalanx. The effects in Phalanx were murdering CPU in Cubase and it took me forever to figure out what was causing CPU overloads. Per plugin performance is a MUST.

Good segue to a new feature, deactivating tracks and plugins. Now you can bounce a track, and then deactivate the original. You can hide deactivated tracks as well. This gives you essentially 75% of the same functionality as Studio One's track transform. You can always reactivate the track, make changes, and rebounce quickly. Almost there. Studio One still does it better. However, great feature in Bitwig, and it definitely allows you to save resources.

I thought about trying jack, and then realized I have a life. I stopped screwing with it and went out on a date instead. Slim chance I might try it later, but I've sold Cubase and decided to put myself into the Bitwig box for the sake of creativity. Less engineering and tech detail, and more creating. I think Bitwig is the way forward. I like the way these guys think, and I like the direction they are taking.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Hi all,
Is part of the reason why crossfade handles aren't there (at least like in other DAWs) because, being a clip oriented DAW, Bitwig Studio already has a mechanism in place to avoid clicks/pops when launching clips and adding them to the timeline?
And is that implemented as an auto-crossfade or zero crossing mechanism? Just curious about how that works.
Thanks.
Studio One Pro 3.3 and PT 12.6 on Win 8.1 Pro, i7-3930k, Sabertooth x79, 16GB G.Skill 2133, Lynx Hilo, Eleven Rack, Chandler TG2, Liquid Channel, Mojave MA-200, Focal CMS65s. Oh, and a "few" guitars...

Return to “Bitwig”