Official Xils3 LE V2 Analog Modular ( The EMS VCS 3 Emulation )( CM version Released )

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
XILS 3 LE

ENV1 wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:For the kb-on/off I dont remember what you said the first time, sorry, I'll try to recover your original post ( but this thread is quite long :? )
The problem is that either the labels are wrong and the functions are right, or the labels are right and the functions are wrong. (At least when you consider that KEYB ON normally provides the Trigger voltage for the AD stages and the Gate voltage for the Sustain stage whereas KEYB OFF would merely provide the Trigger voltage for the Release stage. But thats not how it currently works.) Thats why it would be good if Xavier explained what exactly he intended for KEYB ON and KEYB OFF to do, i.e. what is supposed to do what, and why, and any other details he can give. Until that part is fully clear its all just poking in the dark, especially since the inconsistent labeling (KEYB OFF on small grid vs KEYB GATE in enlarged window) confuses the whole thing even more.
Well, I'll try to explain how it works, with my words.
KB On is a trigg generated on Note On. If you're with the Trapezoid envelope, it will trigg/do the Attack, On, Decay, OFf and also loop depending on the value of OFF. ( Dont forget that in trapez EV, decay will be perceived as a kind of release ) For other modules it can be used to start the sequencer. ( but not to stop it, for this you'll need the Gate, or KB OFF )
KB OFF is generated when you stop holding a note, ie like a Note Off event.

Gate ( or KB OFF ) is used to stop the loop in a trapez EV, maintain sustain, or is also used for the LFO delay ( On Xils3/4 ), or stop the sequencer, etc.

Now these triggs behave in a different way if you're using standard ADSR EVs ( But are faithfull to the behaviour of the VCS3 in case of trapez mode.)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

PLus the tooltips typos are under work now.

-------------________________

Then, only 10 days left for the no brainer intro price :)

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Hi ENV1,

Thanks for your report !!
I just uploaded a new beta 2.0.2 version (it should be the last one if everything is correct) which is fixing the various typos and problems with the tooltips.

Best regards
Xavier

xavier wrote: I just uploaded a new beta 2.0.2 version (it should be the last one if everything is correct) which is fixing the various typos and problems with the tooltips.
You must have uploaded the wrong build then.

2.0.2d is identical to 2.0.2c, except that the tooltips of the bi-axis knobs dont exhibit the 'have-to-be-clicked-once' problem anymore. The rest is still exactly as it was.

Anyway, here are some more things for you. :) Just 3 more Label/Tooltip related things, then comes the important technical stuff.

- Filter/Oscillator: There has to be a slash between Filter and Oscillator. (Indicates that it can be both Filter and (Sine-)Oscillator. Its not meant to be 'FilterOscillator'.)

- PAN EXT. Tooltips: 'Pan Left' and 'Pan Right' should be replaced with 'CH.1' and 'CH.2' to be true to original machine labeling.

- Oscillator Coarse Frequency Dials: Labels on dials (+/- 0/1/2/LOW) do not correspond to tooltips and actual Octave/Frequency shift.

- Osc1 Waveforms: On a real VCS3, the Ramp of Osc1 is not shapeable. In the X3 it is, but with Width in center position the Ramp is 1 octave higher than the Sine. (And all the other Oscs, which is of course wrong.) This can be quasi-corrected by setting the Width hard left or hard right, but then the Sine is no longer a Sine. The Ramp must therefore be fixed to be an octave lower to really correct the problem.

- Sine Waveforms: According to the manual of the real machine, the 'jagged' side of the width-altered Sine should be much sharper with the Width set hard left or hard right. See attached screenshot for details.

- Square Waveforms: According to the manual of the real machine, the width of the Squares is supposed to go all the way to 0% so that there is no audio output when the Width knob is set hard left or hard right. (Effectively a steady DC.) Right now the minimum width in both directions is only ca. 20%. See attached screenshot for details.

- Triangle Waveforms: According to the manual of the real machine, when the Width knob is set hard left or hard right, the Triangles should become Ramps/Saws, i.e. like the Ramp of Osc1. In the X3 the width-altered Triangles look like Ramps/Saws on the oscilloscope, but soundwise they are way too dull, i.e. nothing like the Ramp of Osc1. This is a real problem, because it makes decent detuned saw sounds impossible.

- Meter: Has no DC (center-zero) mode. Should have a switch like the real machine so that proper DC signal metering is possible.

- Meter: If i route say Osc3 to Meter and FilterModulation, the meter indicates 2 times the speed of the actual modulation, in other words it is twice as fast as the oscillator actually runs.

- Note Priority: Last is not working on Uni modes.

- Sequencer Position Indicator: Not in sync with currently played note if Tempo faster than Tempo*1.

- UI Handling: Controls respond to MouseX and MouseY at the same time. This is extremely annoying since the slightest movement in the X direction messes up the value you mean to set by dragging up or down.

- UI Handling: When you drag a control, and the mouse leaves the plugin boundaries, mouse control is interrupted until the mouse is dragged back within the boundaries. This makes it extremely difficult to work with the upper and lower row knobs since you will be dragging outside the boundaries for sure if you want to turn a knob more than just a little bit.

I have some more points, mostly related to the voicehandler, but i have to finish for now. Ill be back when i have time.

@Lotuzia: I know these things, the problem is just that KEYB OFF, for example, should not trigger the ADSR. (Obviously you would expect this to be done by KEYB ON, which does it too, but it will not Sustain.) I will get into more detail when i get back.

Last edited by ENV1 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Authorization issues fixed and working fine now on my desktop too.
Enjoying and learning this very nice little gem now.

Thanks guys ! :tu:

I see a new build has been uploaded since i had posted this afternoon. Just for the sake of better communication, could you please make a quick announcement when youre doing this? It was pure coincidence that i downloaded again because i accidentally desintegrated the installer. :hihi:

Anyway, were getting closer. :) Most of the labels and tooltips are OK now, heres the ones that slipped through:

- Noise: Tooltip was changed to 'Color'. Original machine label says 'Colour' though, (british english), so the tooltip was actually the correct one and the UI label needed the correction. (Ultimately immaterial, but if youre striving for perfection, thats how its right.)

- ADSR: A, D and R still have 'Vca' in the tooltip. Only S was changed to VCA.

- Input/Gate: Attack tooltip still only shows on mouse-down, but never on mouse-over.

- G.Level/G.Tune Tooltips: One still says 'General' and one says 'Global'. Since Global is the more commonly used word for such items, its probably G.Levels tooltip that should be changed to 'Global'.

So much for now...will check back tomorrow. :)

One more thing before i go offline for today.

Regardless of the existing problems, i find the sound of the X3 great. Its one of the roughest sounding softsynths ive heard so far, to me way better than certain other products that enjoy a lot of praise around here even though they sound so blatantly synthetic (pardon the expression) that the last thing they remind me of is an analog hardware synthesizer where everything from the wall socket to the speaker coils is pure electricity.

In one word: Im glad to have gotten a copy of this synth. Thank you. :)

I bought it, thanks for the nice deal. Shouldn't I now see a discount coupon in my account that reduces the upgrade to Xils 4 to 149€ as stated here?

Diego_C wrote:Authorization issues fixed and working fine now on my desktop too.
Enjoying and learning this very nice little gem now.

Thanks guys ! :tu:
Thanks Diego :)

ENV1 wrote:One more thing before i go offline for today.

Regardless of the existing problems, i find the sound of the X3 great. Its one of the roughest sounding softsynths ive heard so far, to me way better than certain other products that enjoy a lot of praise around here even though they sound so blatantly synthetic (pardon the expression) that the last thing they remind me of is an analog hardware synthesizer where everything from the wall socket to the speaker coils is pure electricity.

In one word: Im glad to have gotten a copy of this synth. Thank you. :)
Thanks ENV1 :) ( For all )

paterpeter wrote:I bought it, thanks for the nice deal. Shouldn't I now see a discount coupon in my account that reduces the upgrade to Xils 4 to 149€ as stated here?
Hi PAterpeter thanks for getting it.

Could you contact me by PM and give me your Xils details, so that if the Upgrade path is not on your account, it can be edded manually. Thanks.

LtZ

Lotuzia wrote:
paterpeter wrote:I bought it, thanks for the nice deal. Shouldn't I now see a discount coupon in my account that reduces the upgrade to Xils 4 to 149€ as stated here?
Hi PAterpeter thanks for getting it.

Could you contact me by PM and give me your Xils details, so that if the Upgrade path is not on your account, it can be edded manually. Thanks.

LtZ
Nevermind, the codes are there now.Thanks a lot for your response, though. XILS is a fun, quirky oddity (in the best of senses).

Just this once won't hurt... I send this post on two threads.

Here are splendid examples of things that can be done with this incredible synth. All the songs of this post are made using the XILS 3! Not the original EMS VCS 3 or Synthi... not another emulation either... but the XILS 3!

Just a point: if you love only the EDM and techno styles... this post will totally bore you. But if you like or even love the cosmic rock and the strange atmospheres... you're going to take off for an incredible dream!

(note: all the things written in blue are not from me but from the website that I quote, and of course I give the URL at the end)

The Red Book - by Sweep
Using XILS 3. This was done using the XILS 3's sequencer, with changes made to the patch while playing. The musician makes extensive use of the different patch-pin values made possible in the upgraded version of XILS 3. The title refers to C.G. Jung's written record of his active imagination experiences, which had just been published when the musician recorded this piece.

Bleak Landscape - by Sweep
Using XILS 3 and Technics KN750 (piano). The XILS 3 was played through two Classic Delay VSTs and then a Lexicon MPX550, and edited extensively while playing. The synthesizer part was recorded in one take, and then the piano part added in a second take. So all the sounds which are not the piano come from the XILS 3.

Awakening - a Hawkwind track from Space Ritual
Performed by Sweep using XILS 3.

Kurosawa - by Sweep
Song in a modern Japanese style using XILS 3 and Technics KN750 (for the koto sound).

Zylis - by Sweep
Using XILS 3 and Lexicon MPX550 reverb, plus a short lead line from the Arturia MiniMoog V.

Georgina Watson - by Sweep
This track uses an unusual development of the EMS Synthi idea. What if EMS had continued into the 1990s and - this will be sheer heresy to some people - created a Synthi with PCM WAV sounds instead of analogue oscillators, but with the more usual Synthi modulation options?

The musician simulated what this might have sounded like by taking one of his V-Synth EMS emulation projects and replacing the Synthi samples with equivalent sounds played on a Technics KN750. Some sounds were sequenced, while others were played using unusual keyboard techniques. The result was a set of PCM versions of typical Synthi modulations, which were then modified with the V-Synth using manual operation of the control knobs, much as a Synthi might be played.

The PCM Synthi emulation occurs in the central section, along with the harp. The Synthi sounds in the first section, accompanying the piano, are from the Rehberg Synthi Av, with the addition of some modified Synthi sounds from the V-Synth which have more compex modulations than would be possible with a Synthi. The last section uses the XILS 3. The other instruments are: piano (Casio CTK900 and Technics KN720 layered), harp (Casio CTK900), Direct Wave sampler, shakuhachi, and violin.

Sacred Yew - by Sweep
The Sacred Yew was inspired by an ancient yew tree in the village of Hope Bagot, England. It stands in a churchyard over a holy well and is most probably older than the twelfth century church. Comparing it with other ancient yew trees I've seen I'd guess at possibly ninth or tenth century. There's no guessing how ancient the well is, and possibly the tree was planted at an already sacred site due to the presence of the well.

The music is performed by Frank Spears on EMS Synthi A, and Sweep on shakuhachi and sampler. Frank recorded a lengthy Synthi performance, and then the Synthi and shakuhacki were both played from the sampler (Direct Wave software). The full performance by Frank Spears was played and layered by holding keys, with other parts brought in selectively here and there. The shakuhachi was sampled in relatively small sections and played looped through the Classic Delay software.

Sweep made extensive use of the ChorX spacial delay software from XILS 3 in this piece. All the Direct Wave sampler performances were processed through ChorX, giving movement and three dimensional depth to the sounds. This was a vital part of the earthy, living quality of the final piece.

All these songs above are from this webpage The Synthi Music Site Beyond EMS where you will listen to many other songs made with other emulations of these EMS instruments and even some of them made the the original hardware instruments.

But for me the world best virtuoso and composer on the EMS synths is and has always been Tim Blake, who lives in France at Usson-Du-Poitou, close to the village where I was born. I know this incredible keyboardist from his participation during several years in the franco-english prog-rock/fusion-jazz band called Gong in the first half of the 70's (with another ultra-famous musician, the guitarist Steve Hillage, among several other great french and english musicians). Here is a recent album from Tim Blake, on his own website. The album is titled "Noggi 'Tar". It says perfectly what it want to say... No guitar! And however it is a powerful guitaristic album! There is even no hardware synth! There is nothing else that VST synths! So... what does he use in this album? Tim's Virtual Gtr uses AMPLITUBE , virtual amplification.( Turned-up to 11 ) Tim uses the XILS synth (XILS 3) to play all the EMS parts. Tim's Theremin is midi-fied by the i2m Musicport by Sonuus, and uses the Minimonsta plug-in by G-force. You can hear (and download) the full album here (click the picture):
If you love Tangerine Dream, Ashra Tempel, Klaus Schulze and musicians of this style... you will certainly love the albums made by Tim Blake, especially in the second half of his very long career where his music is much less jazz and much more "cosmic", "Ambient"... and coooooool.

Many people think that the EMS VCS 3 was an instrument made only for effects. It was true... only for the first version which was called the "Putney" when used without the DK2 keyboard (which was sold apart). Jean-Michel Jarre for example made an extensive use of the Putney without the keyboard, and that's probably a strong reason why the EMS VCS 3 is so much known as an "effects synthesizer".

But in fact, as some other musicians (like Tim Blake, Klaus Schulze, Edgar Froese, Eddie Jobson (Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, Roxy Music, Yes...), Miquette Giraudy (Steve Hillage's girlfriend), Ozric Tentacles (one of my preferred band ever), Kraftwerk...) show in their use, the EMS VCS 3 (and the suitcase declinations called "Synthi", "Synthi A" and "Synthi AKS") was a comprehensive synth, capable of all what was possible to do with all the other synths of these 70's years (the Minimoog, the ARP 2500 and 2600, etc.) and 80's years as soon as it was used with the keyboard (and even several keyboards connected to it!). It is even one of the most comprehensive modular synths ever made able to produce incredible modulations for complex leads as well as the smoothest long pads ever.

Enjoy!
:phones: :phones: :phones: :phones: :phones:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Nice!

Can't wait to here what Sooty comes up with. :hihi:

BlackWinny wrote:Just this once won't hurt... I send this post on two threads.

Here are splendid examples of things that can be done with this incredible synth. All the songs of this post are made using the XILS 3! Not the original EMS VCS 3 or Synthi... not another emulation either... but the XILS 3!

Just a point: if you love only the EDM and techno styles... this post will totally bore you. But if you like or even love the cosmic rock and the strange atmospheres... you're going to take off for an incredible dream!

(note: all the things written in blue are not from me but from the website that I quote, and of course I give the URL at the end)

The Red Book - by Sweep
Using XILS 3. This was done using the XILS 3's sequencer, with changes made to the patch while playing. The musician makes extensive use of the different patch-pin values made possible in the upgraded version of XILS 3. The title refers to C.G. Jung's written record of his active imagination experiences, which had just been published when the musician recorded this piece.

Bleak Landscape - by Sweep
Using XILS 3 and Technics KN750 (piano). The XILS 3 was played through two Classic Delay VSTs and then a Lexicon MPX550, and edited extensively while playing. The synthesizer part was recorded in one take, and then the piano part added in a second take. So all the sounds which are not the piano come from the XILS 3.

Awakening - a Hawkwind track from Space Ritual
Performed by Sweep using XILS 3.

Kurosawa - by Sweep
Song in a modern Japanese style using XILS 3 and Technics KN750 (for the koto sound).

Zylis - by Sweep
Using XILS 3 and Lexicon MPX550 reverb, plus a short lead line from the Arturia MiniMoog V.

Georgina Watson - by Sweep
This track uses an unusual development of the EMS Synthi idea. What if EMS had continued into the 1990s and - this will be sheer heresy to some people - created a Synthi with PCM WAV sounds instead of analogue oscillators, but with the more usual Synthi modulation options?

The musician simulated what this might have sounded like by taking one of his V-Synth EMS emulation projects and replacing the Synthi samples with equivalent sounds played on a Technics KN750. Some sounds were sequenced, while others were played using unusual keyboard techniques. The result was a set of PCM versions of typical Synthi modulations, which were then modified with the V-Synth using manual operation of the control knobs, much as a Synthi might be played.

The PCM Synthi emulation occurs in the central section, along with the harp. The Synthi sounds in the first section, accompanying the piano, are from the Rehberg Synthi Av, with the addition of some modified Synthi sounds from the V-Synth which have more compex modulations than would be possible with a Synthi. The last section uses the XILS 3. The other instruments are: piano (Casio CTK900 and Technics KN720 layered), harp (Casio CTK900), Direct Wave sampler, shakuhachi, and violin.

Sacred Yew - by Sweep
The Sacred Yew was inspired by an ancient yew tree in the village of Hope Bagot, England. It stands in a churchyard over a holy well and is most probably older than the twelfth century church. Comparing it with other ancient yew trees I've seen I'd guess at possibly ninth or tenth century. There's no guessing how ancient the well is, and possibly the tree was planted at an already sacred site due to the presence of the well.

The music is performed by Frank Spears on EMS Synthi A, and Sweep on shakuhachi and sampler. Frank recorded a lengthy Synthi performance, and then the Synthi and shakuhacki were both played from the sampler (Direct Wave software). The full performance by Frank Spears was played and layered by holding keys, with other parts brought in selectively here and there. The shakuhachi was sampled in relatively small sections and played looped through the Classic Delay software.

Sweep made extensive use of the ChorX spacial delay software from XILS 3 in this piece. All the Direct Wave sampler performances were processed through ChorX, giving movement and three dimensional depth to the sounds. This was a vital part of the earthy, living quality of the final piece.

All these songs above are from this webpage The Synthi Music Site Beyond EMS where you will listen to many other songs made with other emulations of these EMS instruments and even some of them made the the original hardware instruments.

But for me the world best virtuoso and composer on the EMS synths is and has always been Tim Blake, who lives in France at Usson-Du-Poitou, close to the village where I was born. I know this incredible keyboardist from his participation during several years in the franco-english prog-rock/fusion-jazz band called Gong in the first half of the 70's (with another ultra-famous musician, the guitarist Steve Hillage, among several other great french and english musicians). Here is a recent album from Tim Blake, on his own website. The album is titled "Noggi 'Tar". It says perfectly what it want to say... No guitar! And however it is a powerful guitaristic album! There is even no hardware synth! There is nothing else that VST synths! So... what does he use in this album? Tim's Virtual Gtr uses AMPLITUBE , virtual amplification.( Turned-up to 11 ) Tim uses the XILS synth (XILS 3) to play all the EMS parts. Tim's Theremin is midi-fied by the i2m Musicport by Sonuus, and uses the Minimonsta plug-in by G-force. You can hear (and download) the full album here (click the picture):
If you love Tangerine Dream, Ashra Tempel, Klaus Schulze and musicians of this style... you will certainly love the albums made by Tim Blake, especially in the second half of his very long career where his music is much less jazz and much more "cosmic", "Ambient"... and coooooool.

Many people think that the EMS VCS 3 was an instrument made only for effects. It was true... only for the first version which was called the "Putney" when used without the DK2 keyboard (which was sold apart). Jean-Michel Jarre for example made an extensive use of the Putney without the keyboard, and that's probably a strong reason why the EMS VCS 3 is so much known as an "effects synthesizer".

But in fact, as some other musicians (like Tim Blake, Klaus Schulze, Edgar Froese, Eddie Jobson (Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, Roxy Music, Yes...), Miquette Giraudy (Steve Hillage's girlfriend), Ozric Tentacles (one of my preferred band ever), Kraftwerk...) show in their use, the EMS VCS 3 (and the suitcase declinations called "Synthi", "Synthi A" and "Synthi AKS") was a comprehensive synth, capable of all what was possible to do with all the other synths of these 70's years (the Minimoog, the ARP 2500 and 2600, etc.) and 80's years as soon as it was used with the keyboard (and even several keyboards connected to it!). It is even one of the most comprehensive modular synths ever made able to produce incredible modulations for complex leads as well as the smoothest long pads ever.

Enjoy!
:phones: :phones: :phones: :phones: :phones:
:tu: BlackWinny :tu:
Sweep is really an artist that stands out of the crowd. I just love some of his tracks ! Such an open sound.

Return to “Instruments”