New Dell Latitude E7440 Crackling and popping under low strain?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello .. I've just upgraded from an old XP lappy to a new Dell E7440 and I'm not getting the performance I should be. When using ASIO I get crackling n popping and jumpy cpu usage in a DAW, while Win7 task manager shows plenty spare resources. If I switch to DirectX the problem goes away, but obviously I get massive latency.

I've tried two different USB soundcards and I get the same problem, so this isn't soundcard or drivers.
I've tried two different DAW's and I get the same problem, and different plugins, so its not software.

Test scenario: LMMS music software with the demo of Serum vsti, load the first patch and play some notes - I get crackling and popping, the DAW cpu indicator shows jumpyness, but Win7 task manager shows plenty spare cpu/ram. I presume this is a fairly intensive patch/synth, but this laptop should easily be able to handle it.

Note that I can make music up to a point, but even some of my projects made with my old WinXP laptop have minor crackling and popping when loaded on the new significantly faster machine. Somet ain't right.

I have posted on the Dell forums of course, maybe its a USB issue; I do have issues with a USB hard drive stalling and not transfering properly; but it could have nothing to do with that.

Any initial ideas? Thnx
Last edited by flitemusic on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

I take it you were using the supplied proper ASIO drivers for the USB devices? Try just using the interfaces and nothing else. You may be drawing too much current from USB.

See if this will help :

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/kn ... -daws.html

Thanks, yes using correct drivers; and had tried different versions etc. I can confirm that this problem happens with the laptop and a USB ASIO soundcard alone; nothing else plugged in at all. I'm using 256 buffer size but have tried higher and lower settings and still get the problem. I've turned off all the Dell audio rubbish which comes with the computer, and don't have any other programs running, nothing unusual in process/applications list. Over 4gb of my 8gb ram spare, and plenty spare CPU according to task manager ... While the problem is occurring I get jumpy cpu load in the DAW with short lived spikes of no more than 65%, but windows task manager is showing cpu load of about 30% at most and not showing the spikes or jumpyness at all.

I've scanned through the Steinberg help file and nothing really helps. I've been through the usual kind of causes and tried to eliminate the most obvious causes before posting this. It's not clipping audio or anything to do with volume levels. Its a digital data rate type noise; as if the cpu was maxing out; but its actually got tonnes of spare cpu. Initially I thought I'd found a VSTi which was too hardcore for this brand new i5 machine, but it's turned out that many commonly used VSTi cause it; in situations that this laptop should be able to handle with ease.

I see all the ports on the e7440 are usb3 - presuming your interface is usb2 have you checked whether your existing i/f's drivers are happy on usb3 (remember people having issues with NI KA6 on usb3 ports).

It could be WIFI or network related. Have you tried running DPC latency checker?

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Yea I had tried running the soundcard thru a USB2 hub and the problem was the same. And actually had just turned all network adapters off. But:

Wow, I was just deliberately making the machine pop n crackle with one VSTi alone open, and I got a BSOD - the computer shut down, black screen .. rebooted and all ok .. something is very wrong! I'll post this on the Dell forum of course...

flitemusic wrote: Wow, I was just deliberately making the machine pop n crackle with one VSTi alone open, and I got a BSOD - the computer shut down, black screen .. rebooted and all ok .. something is very wrong! I'll post this on the Dell forum of course...
still sounds like a driver issue with the usb sound card - what make/model are the two you've tried?

Well I have an M-Audio FastTrackUltra and have tried old and new drivers; currently using the newest Avid drivers.
And to test I tried using a Behringer UMA25S instead, and the problem was exactly the same, very latest drivers.

jdnz wrote:
flitemusic wrote: Wow, I was just deliberately making the machine pop n crackle with one VSTi alone open, and I got a BSOD - the computer shut down, black screen .. rebooted and all ok .. something is very wrong! I'll post this on the Dell forum of course...
still sounds like a driver issue with the usb sound card - what make/model are the two you've tried?
+1 BSOD = driver or hardware. The Dell forum probably wont be much help as low latency audio is a niche area. You also mentioned a problem with USB HDD. Id check it on another machine. Seems like you have USB issues otherwise.
Last edited by UltraJv on Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

flitemusic wrote:Well I have an M-Audio FastTrackUltra and have tried old and new drivers; currently using the newest Avid drivers.
And to test I tried using a Behringer UMA25S instead, and the problem was exactly the same, very latest drivers.
don't know about the M-Audio but the behringer is using the Ploytec drivers (which were never great) - and looking at the dates in the 64-bit uma25s drivers they're also OLD (2009) - so well before usb3.

Hate to say it , but you may need to go for a new interface that's got current drivers

Change windows power options to not limit the CPU. Full performance, cpu power may reduce 0% etc. Its different depending on the brand but this very well could be your problem. I had this problem when I got my new laptop.

I got the Avid drivers from here, October 2014, no mention of USB3 on that page but surely they would have thought of that?!
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... ra-Drivers

And I've done the usual Windows power saving rubbish, just looking now it says:
Processor Power Management: Max processor state: 100% (both plugged in and battery, but this laptop is plugged in)

I've tried the DPC Latency Checker and its all green lights, even when causing the pops n crackles - so I think that's ok, thanks.

At least Avid are active in updating the drivers very recently, I can at least try emailing them, tho the card is discontinued now.

Thanks for all replies : ) I will post any further info/solution if/when ..

I just had 4 x BSOD trying to play an mp3 through Windows Media Player!!
This can only be the Avid FTU 6.1.10 drivers I installed last night.
I've gone back to my trusted 6.0.8 and everything is back to normal. The original problem will still be there of-course.
I have emailed Avid... :scared:

It may also be interaction of drivers. Mix n match ASIO drivers dosnt work well. Maybe one device will work without the others drivers being there. That means complete uninstall of both tho. Then one at a time.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”