Going modular; what to get?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm so bored with soft synths, i need hardware :P

Last time i had hardware synths (~14 years ago) i had a Prophet 5, Wavestation A/D and some other fun stuff. The Prophet 5 was a real joy to make sounds with! So for a long time now i've been looking at (and listening to) the new Prophet's and also the Moog's, Minibrute, Bass Station 2, Pulse 2 and so on, but i don't know, the Prophet's doesnt sound that good imo (havent listened a lot to the Pro 2 yet though) and the other's seems kinda meh (the Pulse 2 did strike my interest slightly though). I really want something that i can do a lot with, anything from strange drone sounds to deep bassdrums.

So I've started looking at Eurorack modules and also Korg MS-20 mini which seems fun / creative (connecting external sounds is a must, its something i'd really like to play around with, e.g connecting a guitar etc).

Any recommendations? Should i skip the MS-20 and just get Eurorack modules or is the MS-20 a good start and then connect modules to it (that would work, right?) Or should is start with e.g something like http://www.thomann.de/se/doepfer_a100bs2.htm ?

I have approx $2000 to start with.

Any help would be great. I hate messing up expensive purchases so it would be good if i could avoid that ;)
Thanks

Been looking into this myself - this is a great site but be warned that there's lots of candy:

http://postmodular.co.uk/home

I so want one of these:

http://postmodular.co.uk/endorphin-es/f ... -generator

but if I wanted to make it part of a complete system there's so much there it's pretty overwhelming - I personally would not go for a ready made Doepfer system though as I would prefer something more exotic:

This is a good site for modular advice:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/

Thanks, i'll take a look there. ...and yes i'm really afraid it's going to get way too overwhelming if i start looking at separate modules, that's why i looked at the MS-20 and also the Doepfer system, something to start with rather quickly + i think you can get really "exotic" by just adding modules of your choice later on anyways.

Edit: ah goddammit i'm gonna be broke (looking at that .uk site).
Last edited by bemushroomed on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah I get that, on the other hand spending nearly 2 grand on a system made of modules you end up replacing with more exotic ones later on may be a false economy. I wonder if it would be useful to use the spec for that system as a sort of template for the mix of modules you need as a minimum, then fill out the specifics with more boutique stuff?

btw forgot there was a useful guide to this in SOS a few years back:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr09/a ... odular.htm

I think you might be right.. it's one thing selling a separate unit for ~£100 when you find something better and whole other matter to have to sell a unit worth 2 grand when you've switched most / all modules. Yes some sort of template would be a must, when you're new to this it's really overwhelming..

Check out modular grid:

https://www.modulargrid.net

Planning for your modular! ;)

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

modular is expensive even on the cheap. that's just the facts. However, it is the most fun I've ever had with synths.

I personally went MU instead of Euro, mostly because of the aesthetics/ergonomics of bigger knobs, 1/4 jacks and somewhat easier power scheme. However, Euro have more "crazy" modern type modules that integrate digital tech with analog functions. You can get them in MU, but not with quite the breadth of options.

But, in the end, I wanted a 1969 modular rack. So, that's what I acquired. I've expanded to add some Buchla and Surge style modules.

But again, modular is an endless rabbit hole of cash and time. So, be careful.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

This is about 80% of my current modular. Although I have it in different cabinets than this layout.

and, hooking something like a minibrute or voyager to a modular is awesome.

Also, hooking a DAW to a modular via Expert Sleepers is super sweet too.

Again, RABBIT HOLE WARNING!

I have my minibrute hooked to my modular. Yeah, it's awesome. A lot of new sonic possibilities. There are a lot of semi-modular offerings too. Stuff like the Doepfer Dark Energy, Boomstars, Kraftzwerg, Tereshkova, Blue Lantern Dwarf Star, MS20, Moog Werkstatt-01. A lot more if you look around. A full modular in a smaller rack might be good. You can get enough to start, then build up by buying the particular ones you really feel a need for. When planning for a full modular, you definitely want to do some homework on different utility modules too. Not just VCO, VCA, VCF, that's for sure. The semi-modulars are great for that too though. The ones with full CV patching can really be added on to fairly easy.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

FULL DISCLOSURE: I work at the MuffWiggler store in Portland, OR

you can do a lot for $2k. i've set up small 1 row systems for less than that.. and if you dig around for a few used items you can make your money go further.

even with a simple analog voice you have a lot of options to get passed the basics of fixed architecture synths.

for analog FM get two triangle core VCOs or two VCOs that have really pure sine waves. something like a malekko anti-oscillator/richter oscillator II.. or bubblesound VCOb.

do not shy away from digital modules!! some of the most interesting things in eurorack modular are digital modules. harvestman piston honda MKII or hertz donut (best name for any module ever), mutable instruments Braids etc..

filters.. there's a ton.. from classic to vactrol.. tiptop Z2040 is great.. malekko dual borg, borg. makenoise MMG, toppobrillo multifilter (super sweet sound musical filter)

modulators.. there's just so many... 4ms PEG, malekko envelator, makenoise maths (swiss army CV processor),

basically.. look at the malekko, makenoise, mutable, harvestman tiptop audio, 4ms stuff.. you can't go wrong.

you can do one row with a tiptop happy ending kit to start.. it's a cheap way in and is expandable.

also, 4ms modular rows are great.. more spendy but more durable and a stout power system.

more case options are coming soon and there seem to be new modules all the time so take your time w/the start...

i'd say, oscillator, filter, envelope, VCA, LFO (or modulator of some kind)

some kind of midi/cv interface.. unless you want complete computer integration with something like expert sleepers silent way and one of their ES series modules like ES3.. great stuff.

check out MW forum and modular grid as well. there are modular dealers pretty much everywhere now.. several IN USA, a few in europe and UK. so wherever you are you can find most of what you need.

do some research though.. a little goes a long way.

Many thanks for the help, Modular Grid is absolutely great! Wow. I have a lot of reading to do.. And yes the rabbit hole-factor indeed ;) That looks like a sweet setup, SJ_Digriz. For now Eurorack seems most interesting to me..

Let's say i start simple and get a MS-20 mini (i can probably find a used one here in Sweden since they're fairly common), what can i connect to it? Euroracks? Edit: googled it.. seems like i need Harvestman English Tear to make it compatible with Eurorack.

Braids looks cool

From the Doepfer minimal system let's break it down to see what is really needed and what could be substituted or added to at a later point - to me the great thing about this is one can add stuff gradually once a base system is created.

Sound sources/generators

2x Standard-VCO A-110 (Ideally I would like to be able to use soundsources like Braids and the Furthrrrr Generator rather than bog standard oscs)

1 x Noise/Random A-118 (some sort of noise generator would be useful not just as a soundsource but also modulation)

1 x VC Waveform-Processor A-116 (not sure what this is?)

Filters

1 x VCF1 A-120 (24dB Low pass 1)
1 x XP-VCF A-106-6 VCF2

Modulation

1x Ring Modulator A-114 (here I would like something more interesting)

VCA

1 x linearer VCA A-130
1 x logarithmic VCA A-131

Envelope generators
2x ADSR thomann A-140 (can you get more complex envelopes in modules?)

Mixers/routing
1 x linearer Mixer A-138a
1 x logarithmic Mixer A-138b
1 x Audio-Divider A-115 (I assume this is a routing utility?)
1 x Multiple I A-180 (might want more of these)

LFO/modulation sources
1 x LFO A-145
1x A-146 Variable Waveform LFO
1 x Dual-S&H A-148
1 x Trigger-Teiler A-160 (not sure what this is either)
1 x Trigger-Sequencer A-161
1 x Dual Slew Limiter A-170

Essentials
Midi-CV Interface A-190-1
Power supply
Case/rack

What is certainly missing from this list are effects - I would want to add bitcrushers, delays, reverbs etc

On the other hand is there anything that is not really needed?

bemushroomed wrote:Thanks, i'll take a look there. ...and yes i'm really afraid it's going to get way too overwhelming if i start looking at separate modules, that's why i looked at the MS-20 and also the Doepfer system, something to start with rather quickly + i think you can get really "exotic" by just adding modules of your choice later on anyways.

Edit: ah goddammit i'm gonna be broke (looking at that .uk site).
Look here: http://cluboftheknobs.com/portables.html - this is good to start. And they have big systems too, if you can afford them :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”