Linnstrument + Android

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is probably not the best companion for the Linnstrument due to poor latency, but it works. Linnstrument + Standard USB A-B cable + On-the-go (OTG) adapter + Galaxy Note II running Caustic 3 Demo + Motorola Bluetooth headphones. Thus suggests that Thumbjam on the Galaxy Note 4 should work fine, but I have no immediate plans to upgrade to the Note 4.

Thanks Cliff, this is nice to know. Android devices in general have very few restrictions on the power they can provide over the USB bus. The downside is that the battery will drain rapidly. So even in your case, the upcoming low power mode will be beneficial. It also decimates and throttles the MIDI data slightly (I can't feel the difference with the full rate one), allowing the mobile device to have to do less work.

Afaik, there are no generally available real-time performance MIDI applications on Android that are usable, due to the latency you mention. So the overall usefulness of an Android solution is questionable at this time though. Maybe later this will improve, now that Samsung is actively working on a real-time Audio/MIDI solution, though it will only work on the Note 4. Imho, you're much better off going the iOS route though, where synth and audio apps are years ahead of Android.
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

ThumbJam on the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (and when they allow it, Note 3 and S5) using the new professional audio SDK from samsung (JACK in new clothing) will work just fine with Linnstrument. It supports channel per voice and I've tested it successfully with a Haken Continuum. The latency via MIDI is actually better than the touchscreen, because that is now the limiting factor on the Note 4 hardware, it seems. I'm hoping they can work on that some more....

But yeah, iOS totally rules this area (and will continue to for a long time) for mobile devices.

PS: I'm the dev of ThumbJam :)
Sonosaurus LLC - Developer of SooperLooper, SonoBus, ThumbJam, DrumJam, TonalEnergy Tuner

Return to “Roger Linn Design”