wow apple release new mac mini with NO quad core at any price

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jdnz wrote:
mhog wrote:Forget the imacs, those are even less costomizable than the mac mini and have an awful "fusion drive" solution.
once you realise the 'fusion drive' is just a layer of software on top of a separate sata hdd and ssd card it's not so bad - takes about 5 min to turn off the corestorage stuff and get back to having a separate 128gb ssd and 1tb hdd ( a LOT more useful for daw use - I'd rather choose what's on ssd and what's not than have s/w double guessing me)

what does suck on the new imacs is having to unglue the screen to get inside to replace/upgrade the hdd (even worse - the ssd card is on the wrong side of the logic board, so you need to totally strip the guts out to get to it - had a card go bad thankfully since it's in apple cover the replacement was apple's problem)
IMO a 128gb ssd (for OS, apps and dual boot, Windows+programs) is not enough nowadays. It should be at least 256 gb. The 1tb internal 7200 rpm hhd (for data, recordings and samples)? I think an external USB3.0 or Thunderbolt external HDD is almost faster and safer today.

Again, I think the macbook pro solution is still the best one for computer music, home recording and such. It is easily customizable, it has no glue, just small regular screws. I wanted to replace my old core2duo macbook pro with a new mac mini, but the 2014 ones are very disappointing. The new "top" Mac mini (3,0 Ghz i7 dual, 16 gb RAM, 1TB hdd) would cost 2,219,00 €, which is a steal for a mini pc (with no monitor and input devices). For that price I prefer to remain on macbook pro connected to an external display :dog: :x

Er, I have 989. in my quad mini with the 16 gig I added myself... 1 terrabyte drive. That's too good a deal for Apple to let out the door.

:roll:

Apple Phones Inc.
(Previously Apple Computers Inc.)

"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

I guess this will just drive people that are looking for professional machines to the Hackintosh community, which is a shame as one of the nice things about Apple computers is not having to fiddle with them. I'll confess to being on the cusp of Apple fanboy, but a tool is a tool, and they broke the Mac Mini as a tool with this update.

dannyhawaii wrote:I guess this will just drive people that are looking for professional machines to the Hackintosh community, which is a shame as one of the nice things about Apple computers is not having to fiddle with them. I'll confess to being on the cusp of Apple fanboy, but a tool is a tool, and they broke the Mac Mini as a tool with this update.
How does it exactly work? I mean, is it something legal? I can see many "hackintosh" offers on Ebay and such, pc "mavericks ready" for half the price of a mac mini and double or triple power. I ask because I usually buy the macs just for Logic and nothing else, put Windows in dual boot and do the rest there. Unfortunately there are no comparable products like Logic for PC. I am confounded about Apple's policy, they now put glue and solderings (even on RAM), so that you cannot customize or expand your computer unless you pay a fortune. Not only the new mac mini is soldered, but the iMac and the new macbook pro models, too! :x

Mac owners will show their resentment by - carrying on buying and supporting Apple. Thatll show em. All these limitations will be celebrated soon as innovations. Maybe the iwatch will run Logic? :-)

UltraJv wrote:Mac owners will show their resentment by - carrying on buying and supporting Apple. Thatll show em. All these limitations will be celebrated soon as innovations. Maybe the iwatch will run Logic? :-)
I doubt there is any significant number of Mac users who resent the move to a dual-core only Mac mini. Those of us who do not resent it, have no reason to switch from what we believe to be a superior product to generate moral support for those who do.

Apple dropped the 17" Macbook a couple of years ago too. It just wan't a profitable model. Sure, there were some who resented the move, and many of them may have switched to Windows to stay with a 17" screen. I just switched to the 15" Retina model and got stronger glasses. :)

mhog wrote:
dannyhawaii wrote:I guess this will just drive people that are looking for professional machines to the Hackintosh community, which is a shame as one of the nice things about Apple computers is not having to fiddle with them. I'll confess to being on the cusp of Apple fanboy, but a tool is a tool, and they broke the Mac Mini as a tool with this update.
How does it exactly work? I mean, is it something legal? I can see many "hackintosh" offers on Ebay and such, pc "mavericks ready" for half the price of a mac mini and double or triple power. I ask because I usually buy the macs just for Logic and nothing else, put Windows in dual boot and do the rest there. Unfortunately there are no comparable products like Logic for PC. I am confounded about Apple's policy, they now put glue and solderings (even on RAM), so that you cannot customize or expand your computer unless you pay a fortune. Not only the new mac mini is soldered, but the iMac and the new macbook pro models, too! :x
Wow! Permanent RAM!?!

As for the Hackintosh, only certain processor/chipsets work with the Mac OS, thus "Mavericks Ready" would mean it's compatible to install Mac OS on it. The kicker is that Apple's EULA states that the Mac OS may only be installed on Apple-Licenced hardware. I'm not sure that most governments would back that up if you had purchased the OS though. Nintendo lost a court case to running official Nintendo games through "unofficial" Gameshark-type devices. So yeah, idk. My thoughts anyway.

well yes obviously.. but i think that graph hides a small thing.. the thing that people don't buy a new computer w/every release cycle but many many of them buy the new iphone every time it comes out. so, maybe one laptop every three years but 3 phones every five years..

but obviously they sell a dick load of phones and ipads. millions and millions of the phones.

i suspect they'll sell a small handful less computers now that they've dumbed the mini quad.. a super small niche of audio nerds will take a walk over to tonymac and build a hackintosh when perhaps maybe would've bought a macmini quad.
standalone wrote:Apple Phones Inc.
(Previously Apple Computers Inc.)

I just bought a 2012 quad core server Mac Mini 2.3ghz and when funds permit I'm going to max it out with 16 GB RAM and 2×1 TB SSD drives.

http://www.very.co.uk/apple-macreg-mini ... 978116.prd

Buy now pay in 12 months
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

This one would be a good buy to upgrade...
http://www.very.co.uk/apple-macreg-mini ... stid=78124

dayjob wrote:but i think that graph hides a small thing..
also....iphones and laptops are not competing products. iphone may take a much larger percentage, but it is of a much bigger pie. if they are selling less computer product, it's not because they also sell iphones. in fact, i am sure there are even some cases where an iphone acted as a gateway drug for some

the mini was always the secret weapon for semi-pro users, and it was very un-apple like to allow it to exist as it had. it could be expanded to 16g ram, and could house 2 drives (even in the non-server model). it supported quad i7, and the internal graphics are no slouch. couple it with a cheap display, and you had a great system, which was great value in apple terms. certainly within the music-making community, i could see the mini stealing away sales from macbook pro, imac and mac pro. it is of no surprise to me that they made it more consumer, as opposed to pro-sumer

When I first read the thread title, I thought Apple had launched new dual core Mac minis at "pay what you want" price .. :lol:

Aren't iphones and ipads computers? I mean, they remain "computer based" products. If it was like Yamaha and such, Apple would produce high quality guitars, motorcycles, pianos etc. For now, the only "Apple Guitar" I know is this one:

:hihi:

By the way, the new mac mini is a real kick in the teeth, sort of wooden apple to bite, ouch! The only mac quad-core serious product for home recording and computer music remains the Macbook Pro 15 (2,000+ €). Otherwise: nothing.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”