Crashes when i turn 2 particular knobs.

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Weird bug.
When i turn 2 particular knobs simultaneously one after the next on my controller energyXT shuts down.

I have tried changing the CC# and midi channel of the knobs and without fail it crashes every time. I even tried changing midi controllers and i still run into this problem.

note:
this only happens after i have worked on a project for awhile. if i start from scratch to test turning the 2 knobs, it does not happen.

anyone else have this issue?
crashes.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Can't confirm.

While eXT is still running...

Added two loops and set them to "Stretch"
Changed the tempo from 120 to 100
Added two weird and sometimes unstable and ressource-hungry software-synths (Cerebrum3 and RPS1 which crashes often in my other DAWs)
Mapped CC7, CC71 and CC74 to volume of master and the two loops
Mapped CC77 to volume inside RPS1 and CC78 to volume inside Cerebrum3
Mapped CC76 inside Cerebrum3 Kick-Pitch
Cutted something from the loops end
Changed the tempo to 110
Added another hungry synth (Feldspar)
Recorded something on this track
Mapped CC75 to LFO-1Rate inside Feldspar

Turned multiple knobs at the same time and also one after another on my master-keyboard

All these operations above while eXT is running in loop-mode for about 20 minutes!

The only thing was, that the memory-buffer expands from about 50.000K up to 90.000K.
But thats trivial with 3 synths running and a resampling audio-engine.

The message you got is from windows, not from eXT. So I guess it's a memory-leak or a driver failure. If you mapped something wrong or one of your plugins are incorrect, eXT would shut down without a message.

Has anyone ever seen a message from eXT while crashing? Jorgen spared us this "feature", I think. That's self-confidence. :D
Last edited by fanta1 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

well, i can map everything fine in ableton using the same controllers and my DAW does not crash. So im not sure how it is a windows thing.

I have 16 GB of RAM so i doubt its a memory thing.

its just this one particular action makes it crash without fail.

Mmmhh.... I would not compare one DAW with another. There are too many different internals. Framework, memory-sharing, the basic concept, a.s.o. Also we don't know how many RAM the application is able to address.

F.e. Tracktion 5 is meanwhile incompatible to a lot of plugs. Tracktion until V3 had no problems. As you mentioned Ableton: I remember until V7 Ableton came up with messages like "Rewire failed" or "Failure in DLL blahblah". In real it was just a simple memory leak evoked by external plugins and a criticle c-library version.

I mainly use Samplitude for years. But I beware of to say it's better than this and that. It has its goods and its bads. And meanwhile I learned the pitfalls. So - for some things - I switch to a different DAW. eXT is fine for me because its better natured in handling unknown plugs. But I would not do whole projects with it because I feel eXts automation too crude and the controller-mapping too rough and complicated.

To press a DAW into something that is not made for is senseless and wasting time.
And if I take a look into your modular view ... I feel, you pushed eXT over its limits.
In my view eXT was made as a small and lean solution for tiny notebooks. In combination with its excellent value for money energyXT is unbeatable.

...just my subjective opinion...

Ok, so i just spent the whole day rebuilding the set up again, made it a lot cleaner with the cc mapping and it crashes again. only this time the 2 particular knobs i turned are different. when i turn these same 2 knobs one after another it crashes without fail. Every other knob and component in this set up does not crash the program.

This set up is air tight. no conflicting CC messages or anything.

Why is this happening?!?!? how is it 2 selected random knobs make it crash?!

I am in hell right now. so close to building my ultimate set up.
CRASH2222.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fanta1 wrote:Mmmhh.... I would not compare one DAW with another. There are too many different internals. Framework, memory-sharing, the basic concept, a.s.o. Also we don't know how many RAM the application is able to address.

F.e. Tracktion 5 is meanwhile incompatible to a lot of plugs. Tracktion until V3 had no problems. As you mentioned Ableton: I remember until V7 Ableton came up with messages like "Rewire failed" or "Failure in DLL blahblah". In real it was just a simple memory leak evoked by external plugins and a criticle c-library version.

I mainly use Samplitude for years. But I beware of to say it's better than this and that. It has its goods and its bads. And meanwhile I learned the pitfalls. So - for some things - I switch to a different DAW. eXT is fine for me because its better natured in handling unknown plugs. But I would not do whole projects with it because I feel eXts automation too crude and the controller-mapping too rough and complicated.

To press a DAW into something that is not made for is senseless and wasting time.
And if I take a look into your modular view ... I feel, you pushed eXT over its limits.
In my view eXT was made as a small and lean solution for tiny notebooks. In combination with its excellent value for money energyXT is unbeatable.

...just my subjective opinion...
The reason i compared using it in another DAW was to explain how its not my controller or windows. It is XT that is the problem. I was hoping that someone could help me fix it.

what do you mean RAM leek?

can energyXT extend the amount of RAM used?

My computer is the most powerful one money can buy, no reason it should be crashing.

Perhaps something was lost in translation. I'm german. Sorry 'bout my poor english.

I wanted to communicate , that you should not compare DAWs. The experience is, it makes no sense. Especially for bug-tracking. All DAWs are made under different conditions. One developer prefers (or his history is) audio, another one prefers midi, or so. Like... Ableton had a strong market position in audio (stretching, beat detection) in the beginning but the midi and external plugin implementation was poor. Cubase was top what midi belongs. First steps with Atari Computers (midi only - before the Falcon comes up). You can see and "feel" it until today.

Okay. Meanwhile all DAWs are very close. I see some influences of Ableton in eXT. Also a lot of influences of ProTools in Reaper. Just for example...

So, why won't you accept that your Ableton is perfect for controller-mapping and eXT for your other choices? Your "modular-bitmap" produces just chaos and panic in me. :wink: ... If I imagine you pauses your work for a month. Will you remember all settings and mappings to work fluently further? I'm in doubt you will... I see the modular tab just as a crook (forgive me, Jorgen) to implement some tiny corrections, not to rebuild a new DAW.

Even big studios are working with more than one DAW (some claim that, but most don't. It's just marketing).

So keep cool and use what you got. Music making is like at work. You will not use a hammer if you need a screwdriver. Won't you?

With all respect

fanta1

Postscriptum: You may not think that eXT is allowed to use your complete 16GB RAM. One part is for your system (2-4G). Another part is for background services. Perhaps a small part of RAM is used for eXTs temporary audio things like "stretch" or "pitch". A tiny part for the rest.
If you would buy the biggest computer on earth - if you'll treat a program over its horizon, it crashes.

Return to “energyXT”