More damn good not oft discussed plugins.. the lindells

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:
antithesist wrote:We've had one of each of the hardware modules since they came out... all single digit serials made in Poland with UK transformers (don't know if they're better or worse than the newer Chinese versions).

I haven't demoed the plug-ins yet, and honestly, may not for some time.

They only came out a week or so ago, for people wondering why they hadn't heard of them.

Oops... movie about to start... more later (maybe).
Oh, is that it, it's new? Ok, I don't feel so bad then.
Yes... just checked the pre-AES press release dated 10/1/14 (more "or so" than a week at about two and a half weeks, but still relatively "fresh off the boat" and "out of the blue").

I've followed LSR a little, though somewhat skeptically since their free VU meters didn't work out for me on first try, and their other early offerings didn't really grab me enough to demo.

That was four "tubey" and/or dynamics plug-ins, four "single knobbers."

Then interestingly came the API 525 emulation, which gets mixed reviews and is high-priced, in my opinion.

Now Lindell... Tobias Lindell is interesting, too: GS High End forum mod, studio owner, producer, engineer, etc. (though somewhat cryptic and enigmatic).

Anyway, a few things strike me as odd about these plug-ins... though here's just a couple:

1) None of the hardware modules have filters (other than the side-chain HP on the comp), and Tobias has stated that he doesn't have much use for filters in production.

2) The plug-ins are high-priced relative to what I'd expect, especially given that the modules they model are low-priced: $100 for a plug-in version of a $300 module.

They are being well received generally and each plug-in module offers additional features over the hardware.

I'll be watching for sale prices and would probably go for the bundle at half-price or less, given a favorable demo, of course.

Lastly, my top pick for "DAMN GOOD NOT OFT DISCUSSED PLUGINS" are ones that I think theom has mentioned before: overtone DSP (the 500 comp/EQ bundle is on sale right now, too).
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:We've had one of each of the hardware modules since they came out... all single digit serials made in Poland with UK transformers (don't know if they're better or worse than the newer Chinese versions).

They only came out a week or so ago, for people wondering why they hadn't heard of them.

Cheers for the brief details antithesist

All the best

Dean

antithesist wrote:
hibidy wrote:

Oh, is that it, it's new? Ok, I don't feel so bad then.
Yes... just checked the pre-AES press release dated 10/1/14 (more "or so" than a week at about two and a half weeks, but still relatively "fresh off the boat" and "out of the blue").

I've followed LSR a little, though somewhat skeptically since their free VU meters didn't work out for me on first try, and their other early offerings didn't really grab me enough to demo.

That was four "tubey" and/or dynamics plug-ins, four "single knobbers."

Then interestingly came the API 525 emulation, which gets mixed reviews and is high-priced, in my opinion.

Now Lindell... Tobias Lindell is interesting, too: GS High End forum mod, studio owner, producer, engineer, etc. (though somewhat cryptic and enigmatic).

Anyway, a few things strike me as odd about these plug-ins... though here's just a couple:

1) None of the hardware modules have filters (other than the side-chain HP on the comp), and Tobias has stated that he doesn't have much use for filters in production.

2) The plug-ins are high-priced relative to what I'd expect, especially given that the modules they model are low-priced: $100 for a plug-in version of a $300 module.

They are being well received generally and each plug-in module offers additional features over the hardware.

I'll be watching for sale prices and would probably go for the bundle at half-price or less, given a favorable demo, of course.

Lastly, my top pick for "DAMN GOOD NOT OFT DISCUSSED PLUGINS" are ones that I think theom has mentioned before: overtone DSP (the 500 comp/EQ bundle is on sale right now, too).
Just what I was thinking (well without as much precise knowledge as yourself on this topic). The pricing seems steep in my opinion but then maybe it is a way of getting more home studio sorts to have a look at his outboard offerings (As mentioned the 500 with USB interfacing being a big case in point).

I've been using or have at least tried one of the overtone DSP plugins which came with CM mag, Not tried any of their full version. I do like the uniform and function over form look which they share. Perhaps I'll investigate them sometime in the future

one thing hardware vs software.. not limited to one instance per $300 hardware unit vs 100 instances for example of $100 plugin :wink:

I wonder why at Lindell don't release some strip down free version (like the SlickEQ of the humble TDL Team or other companies), this plugs are really impressive but business is so full of similiar products... Hope they'll do it! :-)

TheoM wrote:one thing hardware vs software.. not limited to one instance per $300 hardware unit vs 100 instances for example of $100 plugin :wink:
Yes, and each instance doesn't waste a converter output + input, and you have parameters automation and recalls. Software processors are actually very convenient... :)

I dunno. I feel it's good, but overpriced. And again, something is funny with the low end. Maybe it's just me though, but I find the high end pleasing. I've already mentioned I like the comp, but I have so many good comps.

I'll keep messing around with it, see if the dev checks in, check for specials.

I guess I could demo all the modules separately if I wanted? Maybe I'll do that.

lsrmanu wrote:
TheoM wrote:one thing hardware vs software.. not limited to one instance per $300 hardware unit vs 100 instances for example of $100 plugin :wink:
Yes, and each instance doesn't waste a converter output + input, and you have parameters automation and recalls. Software processors are actually very convenient... :)
Come on guy's, I am a bit daft but not deluded into opting for hardware over software 80% to 90% of the time. Certainly not because I view either as better or worse than the other; Basically what is good value for money outboard wise (including hardware boxes running dsp) that will serve me well for multi-tracking full band setups (For instance, Say around 16 mics plus triggers on the drum kit shells, 2 mics on the cabinet and a DI feed of the bass guitar, 3 mics on the cabinet and a DI feed of the guitar (Usually twice) then another two times, 1 or 2 mics for vocals and backing vocals, Then any lead guitar parts if applicable on the guitar). So instead of not doing any form of processing at all (Which is viable but just a preference) track with some processing applied. I find it makes the mix come together a lot quicker for me personally plus I am afforded the opportunity of using more plugin processors, effects (Plus drumagog) when mixing down as everything isn't totally dry when I reach this stage :)

I know that is not at all how everyone works and will have much varied preferences, Still as daft as I admittedly am, That is what works for me and I guess I am set in my ways

All the best to all as always :tu:

Dean

There will be a lite version of 6X-500 shipping with next issue of CM, out May 20th.

http://www.lindellaudio.se/index.php/6x-500/

Return to “Effects”