New Rob Papen Synth for Reason: Rob Papen Quad

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Neon Breath wrote:
eXode wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Sounds pretty generic to me like 150 other synths we've already heard thousands times… Where's the magic and the uniqueness?
But does it sound like any of the ~15 synths available to Reason users? ;)
Good point
Yup, plugin wise the situation in Reason when it comes to selection, is like it was for AU and VST 10 years ago :P

I agree, the GUI looks like a cheap/freeware VST. Nowadays you have to inspire the users with sound and graphic quality. IMHO.
Anechoic Chamber Screaming :o

Timman wrote: Nowadays you have to inspire the users with sound and graphic quality. IMHO.
WOW!!!

what ever happen when ones talent was the inspiration...

a sign of the times... :scared:

There is a point though. A good GUI can be very inspiring, while a bad one can ultimately hold you off from making music.

just cant see that happening...

if the music is in you...

how could a GUI stop it from coming out...

that sounds kind of confusing to me...

but to each his/her own...

:tu:

neverenoughfunk wrote:just cant see that happening...

For sound design a good interface that is both easy to control and easy on the eyes is a consideration.
When sound meets eye candy pure magic can happen.

I get your point especially if you are not into sound design and just scroll through presets.
If you don't look at the mantlepiece whilst stoking the fire I guess it doesn't matter. :D

neverenoughfunk wrote:what ever happen when ones talent was the inspiration...
+1

But when you see the prices of RE's you expect some extra polish

Some synth GUI's are absolutely off-putting up to the point i really doubt i'd be able to make music with them. And i don't mean the visual aesthetics. I mean the handling. Some are really absolutely awful in that regard. I won't name names. :P

Valhalla is somebody who goes to show that a simple GUI, doesn't mean you get crap, it's at the top of its class: http://valhalladsp.com/

But their prices is also much more reasonable than the average RE

Antidote GUI is pretty good, and that came out before Reason 7, so Qu4d GUI is more a case of laziness in the Rob Papen camp I think:

Yep, that's an example of a well made GUI, which should be nice to handle.

neverenoughfunk wrote:just cant see that happening...

Think about it : if you were let’s say a sculptor. Which environment would inspire you the most ? Where would you like to create? In a 80’s yellowish living room with a brown carpet, cheap wallpaper & huge white ugly neon light, or an old recycled industrial loft with nice wooden pillars, high ceilings full of nice warm natural lighting?

Same thing with a GUI! Some really can kill inspiration. Simple as that… And I am not even talking about the poor workflow some have too…

Neon Breath wrote:Think about it : if you were let’s say a sculptor. Which environment would inspire you the most ?
Down the pub :D

The Virgin logo came to be when Richard Branson flagged down a designer at a party, who scribbled it out on a cocktail napkin :o

Numanoid wrote:Antidote GUI is pretty good
Yes, Antidote strikes a very good balance of features vs usability imho. It's probably my favorite instrument RE from a usability-design perspective. kHs ONE is also quite good (although not a "pure" RE), and finally I also think that propellerheads own Parsec has a pretty clear and user friendly layout.

After hundreds of patch, I can easily says that parsec too often fall down into the "water drop" preset. It's quite annoying...

Return to “Instruments”