DCAM: Synth Squad underrated?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Doesn't matter anyways - only what comes out of the speakers is relevant (and in a way CPU management of course).

Though for some people the synth's sound will suddenly improve now that they know that the famous {random name} has programmed it... :lol:

vespesian wrote:1. The animator is quite amazing, esp. the advanced arp section.
2. There's nothing quite like Amber.
3. You can make crunchy funky thick sounds with DCam like nothing else.
4. It takes forever to learn - but you can get nice results immediately - or should I say, accidentally. It will make you think differently re: modulation. You really need to study the manual, probably more than any other plug-in I've ever used.

Love this synth.
I agree with all of the above. I think things that plague DCAM is they really need to hire a good UI artist. From what I remember there are still actual bugs in the graphics. Sloppy work. Then, they could all use a nice UI redesign. Not just a new skin, but a better overall layout.

But I think what really sort of hurt them was they designed most of their presets to overdrive the filter. (note, I now see they offer additional preset packs. Maybe too little to late?) This tends to make them sound a little "stiff." They didn't really communicate that well. Backing off the gain to less than 12:00 really opens up the filters and they all of the sudden come to life. FXpansion has a very specific kind of sound when you're overdriving their different stages. If you don't like it, I can see you wanting to pass on them even though they're easily tweaked to avoid that.

I think they also really over hyped it. They sort of said, "We've perfected VA" and in all fairness, they've got a lot of good competition in that realm.

So, if you can get the lot for $99? Hell yeah. It's a bargain and a half. But I think they scared a lot of people away with the initial price, even though it was worth it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

4damind wrote:I don't think it's underrated but there is not so much hype about FXpansion stuff compared to other developers. I use Strobe in most of my tracks but because it's so easy to use and a very stable synth I would not open a thread to talk about Strobe ;)
It's IMO similar with Geist... if Synth Squad or Geist would be from U-He, I think we had dozens of threads about it :hyper:
FXpansion Geist and Synth Squad are two of my favorites... but if they were from U-he there would be regular updates and feature enhancements... Geist would right now have a scalable UI in 10% increments that still looked crisp at any setting.

if you need one, I sell my synthquad with a library + the etch filter ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

OK, to be more clear on what is good and bad about this synth (for me):

Good: As Vespesian said, it makes crunchy funky thick sounds. If you like a thick analogish tone this is it. 3 synths and Fusor for layering cover a much wider range of sound than most VA. For me a plus is that it doesn't sound digital. The sound holds up well comparing against other VA or complementing them.

Bad: Non-sale price and complexity of having to learn 3 synths chases some potential buyers away. UI is not that attractive (but perfectly functional). Not sure how well supported and updated.
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

There seems to be a conception that Synth Squad is no longer selling/viable...

AngusFX March 2014:
Synth Squad is currently our second best selling product in both units and revenue terms after BFD3.
dave

Would be nice if it was out of beta then (which it's been in on the same version for months) and updated to resize without looking bad.

@ aMUSED
agreed
mine won't even resize properly
i was just suggesting that its not as dead
in terms of sales
as one might think given its age etc

dave

FXpansion have great products but their attention to detail is lacking. Bugs take years to fix, installer will not let you choose to install only 64-bit version, no one from the company bothers to answer questions in the user forum, support form still does not have "Win 8" as an OS option, etc. They could certainly learn a thing or two from Camel Audio and U-he.

Synchanter wrote:Not sure how well supported and updated.
You can leave that in the "bad" category.

-Sam

I was thinking about upgrading to latest version. The latest version in my profile is the Public Beta - V.1.2.0.20, released on April 17, 2014.

How long before it is made an official release?

I heard a bass clip I was 100% sure real analog and it turned out to be Cypher!
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I love Synthsquad and could never sell it.

I've often compared it to other newer virtual analog plugins on the market now and it still holds up very well considering it's age. I know the modulation system might scare some away because it can get fairly deep, but when you spend enough time with Transmod you get used to it.

No synthsquad is not as easily accessible as something like U-he Diva, and if you want something like Diva then buy Diva. If you want a even easier to use VA then pick up the Togu audio line stuff.

If i had to choose between Diva or Synthsquad I would pick Synthsquad. Sure the synthsquad might not do the same sounds as Diva, but the modulation system, sound and Fusor make it into a very very powerful package. Actually that's one thing I kind of dislike about Diva is the lack of a powerful modulation system. I always wish i could do the same things with Diva that i can do with the Transmod system in Synthsquad.
:borg:

Try Amber for basses (I'm serious - I know it's a "string synth" - but...). Also, play with the level & volume amounts off each other for Strobe and Cypher, because there's a sort of hidden drive between the two. The detuning fx possible using the voice/unison modulators in all the synths - esp. on keys/organs/etc. are amazing...you can end up with sounds like something from resampled disco vinyl.
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

i think they are way underrated. they can still compete against 2014 synths. the fxpansion synths have a special kind of sound that I like.
the transmodulation is first a bit weird but then it s start to make sense. I think the only fault that expansion did was with the presets. they should haved served more cliche synth sounds. bread and butter sounds ...sounds that you have already heard a 1000 times and mixed them with sounds that gets a bit deeper.
there are a lot of synth-preset-players that only turn the cutoff a bit or change the envelopes and that's it.

Return to “Instruments”