A very newbie question about DJing!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,

I'm producing electronic music with Ableton 9 for about 2 months now, before that I was using FL Studio 10 for 5 months, so I'm producing EDM for 7 months.

Each track that I'm doing, I feel that I'm getting more and more better, but I'm still far from making a hit.

The thing is that I'm feeling that I should start digging about DJing... BUT, I don't know any ****ing shit about what a DJ do!!! I know that they play songs live, of course... Using some stuff, or a pre-recorded set. But that's all!!

I don't know what equipments you need, how do you connect that stuff on your computer, how do you use that stuff, what good equipments the market offers, what is the technics, etc.

You guys get the point right? I don't know shit!

So I'm hoping that you guys can illuminate my path sharing some information about how to be a DJ if you don't know nothing about that.

You can share how did you started learning this, some good tutorials for beginners or whatever!

Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply man, I will take a look on those links!!

You could use Ableton to create your mixes, a combination of Ableton along with dedicated DJ software such as Traktor and Serato, or just dedicated DJ software such as Traktor/Serato. Pro/club DJs use either CDJs from Pioneer and a Pioneer mixer or turntables, depending on where you are. Controllers are becoming more and more popular with the home DJ, but most big clubs are CDJ/mixer - at least here in the states. To start out, I'd recommend a controller, but which one really depends on the software you choose to do your mixing and your budget.

Start listening to DJ mixes, learn about musical phrasing (which you should already know if you've been producing for a while) and different transition techniques. If you want to get to CDJ/turntables, you'll need to learn beat matching - in fact you should regardless in case your equipment ever takes a dump on you or the BPM readings are incorrect.

Get yourslef over to http://www.livesets.us and download some DJ sets for free, patricularly the genre you're producing and get a rough idea of how a set is built, mixed and performed. Watch some youtube vidoes and download a demo version of Native Instruments Traktor DJ to get to grips with mixing.

What DJs actually do is to pre-listen and synchronize tracks with their headphones before they are played out on the speakers. Also, DJs need to ensure smooth transitions and overall consistency of a mix.

One thing that I don't see mentioned here, however, is that DJs entertain people. No one cares if you can stare at your laptop all night, really. That's why DJ controllers are popular and laptop DJs are not.
Things look a little bit different if you're on the radio and no one knows what setup you're using (hehe 8) ), but also demands are higher - everyone wants to be a DJ these days and people are able to pick any issue immediatelly with their home audio system.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”