old school

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone ,
I'm trying to make 80's drums but not too vintage ,more house sound..
Last edited by funkynoya on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

I wouldn't really call them 80s drums.

Sounds to me just like a pretty stock standard house kick (the rounder the better) and some hats.

Try the Vengeance House packs (the early ones Vol. 1 & 2)

There's also a disco break over the top which has been low cut. That's were the extra 'live' feel and ambiance is coming from (and probably some of the hats).
Sound Engineer / Musician / Producer......but I'm always learning.

Here are real 80's sounds, but I don't know if this is what you are looking for...

http://www.zenhiser.com/genre/80-s.html

Maybe this is more to your likings:

http://www.zenhiser.com/nu-disco-fundam ... m-kit.html

soul_junkie wrote:I wouldn't really call them 80s drums.

Sounds to me just like a pretty stock standard house kick (the rounder the better) and some hats.

Try the Vengeance House packs (the early ones Vol. 1 & 2)

There's also a disco break over the top which has been low cut. That's were the extra 'live' feel and ambiance is coming from (and probably some of the hats).
I tried Vengeance House packs kicks ,they are these kind of kicks.But if you listen again carefully there's a snap at kick which cuts mix.I couldn't find that kind of kick..Do you know sample packs for disco breaks ?

manducator wrote:Here are real 80's sounds, but I don't know if this is what you are looking for...

http://www.zenhiser.com/genre/80-s.html

Maybe this is more to your likings:

http://www.zenhiser.com/nu-disco-fundam ... m-kit.html
Thanks a lot! These sample packs are great for 80's sound ...

You're welcome.

funkynoya wrote:I tried Vengeance House packs kicks ,they are these kind of kicks.But if you listen again carefully there's a snap at kick which cuts mix.I couldn't find that kind of kick..Do you know sample packs for disco breaks ?
If you're searching for the EXACT kick you'll go round and round in circles and get nowhere! :)

Listen to the body of the kick, and find something similar, then listen to the attack, find something similar, then blend :)

There are a few sample packs around I'm sure, none I can name of the top of my head, but the best source of disco breaks is the first 30 secs of most disco records ;)

Or just sample that one you posted and move on....I won't tell anyone 8)

soul_junkie wrote:
funkynoya wrote:I tried Vengeance House packs kicks ,they are these kind of kicks.But if you listen again carefully there's a snap at kick which cuts mix.I couldn't find that kind of kick..Do you know sample packs for disco breaks ?
If you're searching for the EXACT kick you'll go round and round in circles and get nowhere! :)

Listen to the body of the kick, and find something similar, then listen to the attack, find something similar, then blend :)

There are a few sample packs around I'm sure, none I can name of the top of my head, but the best source of disco breaks is the first 30 secs of most disco records ;)

Or just sample that one you posted and move on....I won't tell anyone 8)
hahah ok buddy thanks for keeping it secret :) yeah i think i don't satisfy if i couldn't get the same sound but it's wrong ,i'm in circle now :) i made a lot of similar kicks so i will stop trying to make same sound ...thanks for your advices:)

Of course there are many different kinds of drums that sound 80s.

But in general I would say that one main thing about 80s drums - at least early to mid 80s ) it that the kick is usually more in the backgorund while the snare is in the foreground. And many time there's a pretty heavy and reverbed snare.

The kick I think should rather be felt then heard.

Today it's pretty much the oposite with a very loud kick in the foreground and a light snare.

Listen to Don't you want me baby" , "Self control", "Sounds like a melody", "Vouage vouage", "Johnny Johnny" etc...

sfd wrote:Of course there are many different kinds of drums that sound 80s.

But in general I would say that one main thing about 80s drums - at least early to mid 80s ) it that the kick is usually more in the backgorund while the snare is in the foreground. And many time there's a pretty heavy and reverbed snare.

Today it's pretty much the oposite with a very loud kick in the foreground and a light snare.

Listen to Don't you want me baby" , "Self control", "Sounds like a melody", "Vouage vouage", "Johnny Johnny" etc...
Yeah nowadays kick drums are in the foreground.I always practice to sit kick balanced not in the foreground but punchy ,i think this is the most important thing in the mix

funkynoya wrote:

Yeah nowadays kick drums are in the foreground.I always practice to sit kick balanced not in the foreground but punchy ,i think this is the most important thing in the mix
A good example of a great and very powerfull song where the kick is almost unhearable is David Bowies "Heroes".

The kick isn't always necessary to make a punchy grove. A good bass and aj heavy snare drum can have the same effect. Bronsky Beat's "Smalltown Boy" is one example. Another song with a great and heavy bassline where the kick is in the backgorund is Depeche Mode's "But not tonight".

A loud and punchy kick in the front can be nie to sometimes. But IMO we had to much of that for the last 20 years or so. It's getting like... a cheap and easy way to make a tuen sound punchy. Take a pad and add that super techno kick and sure it sounds punchy...but..well...

Another thing about kick drums in 80s musi is that there's less four-to-the-floor kicks then one might imagine.

Listen to a few song from the 80s with that typichal octave to octave bassline and you'll hear that there's not so much FTF kicks.

funkynoya wrote:hahah ok buddy thanks for keeping it secret :) yeah i think i don't satisfy if i couldn't get the same sound but it's wrong ,i'm in circle now :) i made a lot of similar kicks so i will stop trying to make same sound ...thanks for your advices:)
I'm not keeping anything secret, in fact quite the opposite. I'm telling you were to find the sounds you're looking for. If you are only looking for the EXACT drums that he used then good luck on that search, you'll be there a while.

Here I made this in 3 mins using the instructions I gave you. Some old kicks and snares from a Vengeance Pack and a disco break.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwhtt0xxxkvml ... 2.mp3?dl=0

soul_junkie wrote:
funkynoya wrote:hahah ok buddy thanks for keeping it secret :) yeah i think i don't satisfy if i couldn't get the same sound but it's wrong ,i'm in circle now :) i made a lot of similar kicks so i will stop trying to make same sound ...thanks for your advices:)
I'm not keeping anything secret, in fact quite the opposite. I'm telling you were to find the sounds you're looking for. If you are only looking for the EXACT drums that he used then good luck on that search, you'll be there a while.

Here I made this in 3 mins using the instructions I gave you. Some old kicks and snares from a Vengeance Pack and a disco break.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwhtt0xxxkvml ... 2.mp3?dl=0
You told me 'Or just sample that one you posted and move on....I won't tell anyone'' in your last message.I mean that while saying thanks for keeping secrets ,i was joking :)
I listened your drums now ,kick drum is almost same ,could you please told me which Vengeance samples are they ? That kicks will be my go to kicks !

sfd wrote:
funkynoya wrote:

A good example of a great and very powerfull song where the kick is almost unhearable is David Bowies "Heroes".

The kick isn't always necessary to make a punchy grove. A good bass and aj heavy snare drum can have the same effect. Bronsky Beat's "Smalltown Boy" is one example. Another song with a great and heavy bassline where the kick is in the backgorund is Depeche Mode's "But not tonight".

A loud and punchy kick in the front can be nie to sometimes. But IMO we had to much of that for the last 20 years or so. It's getting like... a cheap and easy way to make a tuen sound punchy. Take a pad and add that super techno kick and sure it sounds punchy...but..well...

Another thing about kick drums in 80s musi is that there's less four-to-the-floor kicks then one might imagine.

Listen to a few song from the 80s with that typichal octave to octave bassline and you'll hear that there's not so much FTF kicks.
I listened tracks that you wrote at top,their kick drums hit polite but tracks punch with snare and nice basslines.When we listen pro's sounds they are all hiding kick drums in mix.It's a professional side of music.
Yeah in 80'S there's not so much four to the floor kicks ,i realized that too and this is the nice thing about 80's music.I'm thinking to use 4/4 less in my future tracks,they give more live feel...

If you want a really good selection of 80s drums, give http://www.beatmachine.co.uk a try. I've bought LOADS from there and they are cheap. The Italo Disco packs are pretty awesome for punchy gated drums of the 80s.
'Only came outside to watch the night fall with the rain...'

Return to “Sound Design”