Presswerk Public Beta

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Karten wrote:There are no presets.
Settings are very much dependent on the material so, like an EQ, presets don't make much sense (except as a starting point).
A starting point is always nice though :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

bmanic wrote:
egbert wrote:Tried this out on some acoustic bass - sounds great and reminiscent of the AA CL1 comp.
It's not at all a coincidence that people will be saying this. The way the transients get handled is very similar and has the same issues.
It's phase rotation, which is an old broadcast trick for decades. My opinion is that it has its uses, as it can greatly reduce peak-to-peak swing (like rotation was used in on-air processors). Sure, it does something to the attacks, too, it's sort of frequency-dependent predelay (we're doing it at different places). Everybody in doubt should read the ANLG section in the manual and try it on different sources. I personally like it on acoustic drum bus and especially with acoustic kick.
After all, it can be turned off.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Any chance to have also a mix lp filter? It would be a great addition.

kj.metissage wrote:
Urs wrote: A few weeks ago we had the most gorgeous and realistic looking front panels of these machines in Presswerk. And we thought, people will tear us apart for this, it raises the expectation to be a spot-on emulation.
Seriously, how did I miss that.

You could offer it as optional skins in the menu.

Curious to see that. And no, no expectations of 1:1 emulation, just more pleasing to look at.
+1 :)

sascha wrote:
bmanic wrote:
egbert wrote:Tried this out on some acoustic bass - sounds great and reminiscent of the AA CL1 comp.
It's not at all a coincidence that people will be saying this. The way the transients get handled is very similar and has the same issues.
It's phase rotation, which is an old broadcast trick for decades. My opinion is that it has its uses, as it can greatly reduce peak-to-peak swing (like rotation was used in on-air processors). Sure, it does something to the attacks, too, it's sort of frequency-dependent predelay (we're doing it at different places). Everybody in doubt should read the ANLG section in the manual and try it on different sources. I personally like it on acoustic drum bus and especially with acoustic kick.
After all, it can be turned off.
Can it be turned off in FET/Opto/Vari-Mu modes? I see the button only on normal mode.
Also, maybe there's a way to make a variable intensity to the effect?

^no, but there is a workaround... set your compression in one of the simple modes and when switch to the normal view and turn off analog.

Variable intensity instead of button sounds interesting! :)

3ee wrote:^no, but there is a workaround... set your compression in one of the simple modes and when switch to the normal view and turn off analog.
I'm assuming the compete logic for how views relate is relatively elaborate - the parameters are always the same, but the relationships between UI controls above them in Normal/Custom I'm guessing involves more than 1:1 or 1:0 mappings? But the logic users actually have to care about is that paging from Normal->Custom views is destructive, while Custom->Normal isn't. Not sure how clearly this should or could be spelled out in the GUI or the manual, but it's powerful :love:.

Just tested it in the latest Samplitude Pro X x64 version.

This sounds top notch. I like how it enhances transients.

The saturation seems to be "top of the league". Not surprising after what you guys achieved with Satin.

The CPU usage, even in HQ mode is good to me on an "old" Core i7 950 (3 GHz Quad Core).

Now I'd like to see/hear some presets made by mastering engineers, as starting points. Not sure about all the parameters (RMS window, adaptive release, nonlinear reduction curve...), so it would help.

PS : Don't forget to include the "high fidelity skins" for the different modes ;).

^ the RMS window is particularly important in resulting the compressor's character. for an opto/laggy style compressor try values greater than 10? ... you can also think it as turning the compressor from a peak to a rms one.

adaptive release, it seems to be an auto-adjuster for the release time. harder the signal hits the more release is applied.

non linear has to do with compression ratio: that harder the signal hits depending on the setting (since it's bipolar) ratio will increase or decrease as suggested by the transfer curve graph there...

hmm, I wonder if it would be good/more flexible to have the adaptive release as a bipolar parameter also!!?

remember this? .. :hihi:

Like what I hear, wish UI has better contrast though, normal mode visually feels rather cluttered.

softska wrote:Like what I hear, wish UI has better contrast though, normal mode visually feels rather cluttered.
Right-click GUI ..go to Gamma and select your option

has anyone complained about the wood sides?

seems a waste of space and comes across as ridiculous to me in a GUI.

otherwise the GUI is a home run. i love it.

the wood is distracting. #TWSS

kj.metissage wrote:Now I'd like to see/hear some presets made by mastering engineers, as starting points. Not sure about all the parameters (RMS window, adaptive release, nonlinear reduction curve...), so it would help.
adaptive release... from the manual:
Adapt: as finding the optimal release time can be tedious, allowing automatic adjustment is often
your best choice. This saves time while delivering pretty good results. Higher Adapt values
mean a wider 'window' around the nominal release time. Short, percussive signals will lead to
shorter release times, while smooth passages will make recovery much slower.

I have not yet put anything through Presswerk, but right away I noticed I cannot make the gui go away, other than minimizing the gui. Normally I would click on the x within a virtual button and the gui goes away. No x button to click on, just a blank button. CubaseLE4 and Mac OSX10.6.8. I'm fine with the wood panels because there is no danger in getting termites. Makes it seem more like a piece of real gear. Really, there is no need to put wood side panels on real gear either, but makes it look nicer.

Edit: then I noticed NONE of the virtual buttons worked.

Edit: I re-booted my computer and the problems listed above went away. Will presets show up before beta goes away? I have used compressors for over 20 years, but I'm no genius when it comes to compressors. I'm not afraid to tweak things, and presets would probably be good to find a good starting point. I have only played with Presswerk for about 10 minutes, but I'm not finding any settings yet that are making my Superior Drummer sound better (though that could be because of some virtual compressors already on some parts of the drum set, set to the best of my ability). Perhaps a contest for settings/patches could get some good compressor settings happening? I have not tried Presswerk on vocals yet, but have a definite interest in finding settings for vocals. Any advice for settings for drums or vocals would be appreciated.
Last edited by aaron aardvark on Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Return to “u-he”