NI Komplete Kontrol S-series

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ogopogo wrote:My idea for the ultimate keyboard controller: 61 key keyboard, 8 endless rotary knobs, oled touchscreen covering the whole top panel, and the ability to script your own interface (I dunno if bitwig goes that deep). Basically a tablet keyboard combo that you could use like your very own custom keyboard workstation. Make it as complex or simple as you like, since it's oled all the space you aren't using would just be dark. Way better than a bunch of blinky lights. Maybe add a few dedicated button like arrow keys too if that's easier.
By the way, as I said above, even if you have ten pages on the Device panel mappings, you immeditely access them on the Nektar screen, 8 knobs at a time.. It's that simple, they have direct access to Bitiwig's API; No programming needed.
I'm not an expert. Can other panels do that ?
C-Wave

Totally agree. The Kontrol S keyboard is shockingly underwhelming. The lights are the only appealing thing for Kontact patches. Otherwise you're better served by just about any other keyboard with controls and a screen.

And personally I think only 8 controls is silly. Why would anyone want to scroll pages 3 times more than on something like the nectar or Novation SL, where there is already enough scrolling between pages.

c-wave wrote:By the way, as I said above, even if you have ten pages on the Device panel mappings, you immeditely access them on the Nektar screen, 8 knobs at a time.. It's that simple, they have direct access to Bitiwig's API; No programming needed.
I'm not an expert. Can other panels do that ?
C-Wave
I'm not sure, I was thinking of stuff beyond editing stuff with knobs, like showing a session view grid, or showing a big waveform view for the sampler and letting you edit your start/end/loop points right on it, or hey maybe even duplicating your whole device lane so you can instantly see or edit anything without switching banks, or showing the arrange/editor/mixer, and who knows what else you could come up with if you had complete integration with the daw.

Looks like NI is on it: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... e-kontrol/

- Lot's of Software thrown in, so that the price makes more sense, at least if you don't have Komplete already.
- An update to the Komplete Kontrol software that makes the thing more usable.
- For summer they announce VST support with deep integration.

Will be interesting if there will ever be a "Mark II" of this with more controls and a display...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Thinking of buying Kontrol S49. But using OSX and Ableton. Most of my VST plugs are 32-bit..

Does anyone know if I can use Komplete Kontrol VST to wrap others VST 32-bit plugs in the 1.1 update that came this month?

If this is not possible is it others wrappers that can be used? Jbridge is an alternative, but I havent had good experience with it.

just more knobs and it would be quite nice imo

Curious to know if anyone has any recent experience with the controller and it's compatibility with Bitwig. Has improved in the last 18 or so months? I have a S61 on the way and I'm trying to decide between which DAW to purchase. Any insight would be much appreciated!

totheatom wrote:Curious to know if anyone has any recent experience with the controller and it's compatibility with Bitwig. Has improved in the last 18 or so months? I have a S61 on the way and I'm trying to decide between which DAW to purchase. Any insight would be much appreciated!
No. It works fine, the script does it's job and I use Komplete Kontrol with Bitwig every other day, but if you want full integration (automatic track focus and track selection) you will have to look elsewhere. All depends what kind of features you look for.

Return to “Controller Scripting”