is zebra hz upgrade worth it, if i dont use presets?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

_al_ wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Nope. Comb filter is a tuned delay line. Resonator is a parallel bandpass filter network.
well thats why i was careful to say "similar in sound". both have a kind if metally effect when sweeping through the high freqs.
No, they are unrelated and sound completely different. There are no 'metallic' sweeps in the Resonator, but very strong EQ effects with characteristic distortion.

ah right. i think the last time i used a resonator was over 5 years ago, and that was just a single band thing (grm tools). sounded pretty combish from what i remember, maybe wrong though.

_al_ wrote:ah right. i think the last time i used a resonator was over 5 years ago, and that was just a single band thing (grm tools). .
I used to use the GRM-Resonator stuff 20 years ago and liked its sound very much...so i was very happy to find out (about a year ago) that the MeldaMultiComb sounds quite similar :-)
...but probably the GRM-Resonator hasn't too much in common with analog resonators.

funny enough, i made the same comparison when i heard the melda comb

Howard wrote:
_al_ wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Nope. Comb filter is a tuned delay line. Resonator is a parallel bandpass filter network.
well thats why i was careful to say "similar in sound". both have a kind if metally effect when sweeping through the high freqs.
No, they are unrelated and sound completely different. There are no 'metallic' sweeps in the Resonator, but very strong EQ effects with characteristic distortion.
I think you're both right: both the comb and resonator have repeating passbands in the frequency domain. But I believe they sound different because their different implementations make the spacing of the comb filter's frequency repititions linear (ie not harmonic) and the frequency spacing of the resonator's repititions are exponential (ie harmonic). I know the former fact is true, and I'm pretty sure but not positive of the latter.

I've been putting off upgrading to HZ for a while now, and I love resonators. In the Dark Zebra u-he video, at 7:00 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rBMb2oijyo , is that also the resonator module at work? Sounds it (I suppose the "Res 1" module in the effects panel answers my question. I absolutely love that sound. The melody as well.

And how does it compare to Live's resonator (which I'm also a huge fan of) ?

AnalogGuy1 wrote:I think you're both right: both the comb and resonator have repeating passbands in the frequency domain.
But the ZebraHZ resonator doesn't have "repeating passbands". Again, it's completely different from a comb filter! See video of the Polymoog resonator... it's like that.

Return to “u-he”