Seriously, how do you do it? Growing fanbase?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

debra1rlo wrote:
RunBeerRun wrote:My fanbase is growing because they eat too much :love:
My fanbase is growing because they took mind expanding chemicals and inhale helium. :wheee: :love:
hey ...
i didn't know you had helium ...

experimental.crow wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:
My fanbase is growing because they took mind expanding chemicals and inhale helium. :wheee: :love:
hey ...
At least she doesn't Barium
:hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Thanks a lot everybody, a lot of useful input.

By no means I'm making music for the sake of 'popularity'. I'm making it because that's what I love.
However the idea of making music that's not supposed to be listened to baffles.
At least we all should try.

Of course it won't be easy and I am going to proceed no matter what.
However I do want people to check it out.

Any other ideas?

You need to realize that we are all people, and if you want better input you need to show more of yourself. What details do I have about plain flavored oatmeal?

Feed people to receive input. Starve them and you were lucky the thread got anywhere at all.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

trimph1 wrote:
experimental.crow wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:
hey ...
At least she doesn't Barium
:hihi:
Barium? I damn near killed `em! :P

The sycophant strategy I mentioned earlier transferred to a social media context would be to follow, link to and comment on established musicians' activities on social media. Create a social media persona for yourself (use the same artist name in all contexts), drop (preferably good/interesting/funny) comments, links etc. Kiss ass, support others, casually drop links to your own music. This kind of behaviour isn't exactly what I would consider being a good person, but it may lead to more attantion as an artist.

Thanks a lot.

The reason I haven't posted my SC link (yet) is because I'm afraid that that would make the whole conversation a bit subjective. Will post a bit later for sure, though.

Interesting input about hiring an agent.

Where do you find one? How do you make sure he's the right one and knows the game?
What's the deal usually like? Does he cut some %?

You must learn that music is a business. It's not enough to have a good product, the most important thing is to show the world that everybody needs this product because it's so great and different ;)
Self marketing is very important for a growing fanbase. Where is your Soundcloud link to show the world your great music? Where is your Youtube video? How often do you post new songs on Facebook/Twitter/Google+ etc?
You must give other people a chance to hear your music without that, nothing will occur.

I forget... besides marketing. You must also take into account, that often the music is not good and interesting enough or the producing quality has not this level that a lot of people will have some interest to become a fan. There are too many musicians trying the same things, so you must be different.

forsaken87 wrote:The reason I haven't posted my SC link (yet) is because I'm afraid that that would make the whole conversation a bit subjective. Will post a bit later for sure, though.
This is wrong. Such attitude will get you nowhere.
forsaken87 wrote:Interesting input about hiring an agent.
Forget about it. You need a promoter, someone, who will be bragging about you to other people. The best promoters are the fans, who are your friends. Look for people who like your music, communicate with them, make them friends. In return they will let other people know what a cool guy you are, how your music is really cool. Make sure that there's a community building round your music and nurture it.
Wonder whether my advice worth a penny? Check my music at Soundcloud and decide for yourself.
re:vibe and Loki Fuego @ Soundcloud

Why forget? Can anybody share their experience about hiring an agent?

Thank you very much for the help.

How much are you going to pay an agent? And what for exactly?
Wonder whether my advice worth a penny? Check my music at Soundcloud and decide for yourself.
re:vibe and Loki Fuego @ Soundcloud

My friend got on Ferry Corsten's label by handing him a demo at a show. So it can happen. :)
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Maybe some other useful input?
Thanks guys...

Loki Fuego wrote:
forsaken87 wrote:Interesting input about hiring an agent.
Forget about it. You need a promoter, someone, who will be bragging about you to other people.
What do you think an agent does? Agents don't get bookings by saying "We have this artist who is pretty shitty really..."

as to soundcloud, it's social media. I know people that make challenging music and get a LOT of action there, but they are social, they go around and make friends.
other than that, the really heavy action is on shit that is not challenging anyone, basically a lot of people relate to it as fellow 'producers' and they're all doing pretty much the same moves as each other, and all the time.

if you do not have a following organically, 'hire an agent' expects that cart will pull your horse. It won't and you're opening yourself up to be conned out of money.
If you do have a following, I mean people go looking for what you do next, and have shown you they're getting their plastic out to get the downloads in better quality than your stream or free crap, and there's a next step LIKE A TOUR or something, look into having management.

I don't agree that 'be different' is what drives soundcloud hits, per se. I don't really pay that much attention but the things I see from here that have a thousand comments is because everybody has exactly the same expectation of the thing; this, psychologically, is known as MIRRORING. The more different you are the less this will be true.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”