New Windows User, Can't Install Kontakt Instruments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.

I'm coming back to Windows after several years using OSX. I have apparently forgotten the various methods for Windows. I keep trying to install some third party instruments for Kontakt Player. It appears as though I'm doing everything the install instructions indicate, but I'm not having any luck.

Every time I launch Kontakt Player, I get a "Library Content Not Found. Click Locate To Set The Content." message. I have repeatedly tried to automatically resolve it, as well as directing it to the content manually, but it doesn't do anything to remedy the problem.

Does anybody know what I should do?

Thanks!

Try right-clicking the host shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator". It doesn't always work, but you might be lucky.
... space is the place ...

Make sure the path in preferences is directed to the right folder?

Hmm... Why should I try "Run as administrator", and hope to "be lucky"? Isn't there a legitimate, simple, straight forward way to install software on a Windows machine?

Don't other people run Kontakt on Windows?

Also, what is "path in preferences"? Seriously. I'm not being a smart ass. I'm just not used to this, so forgive me.

It's a valid technique for getting things running on Windows. For whatever <insert random reason here>, some Win systems require it for some software or plugins. It may only be required once, you'll have to test it yourself.

Carpenter wrote: Also, what is "path in preferences"? Seriously. I'm not being a smart ass. I'm just not used to this, so forgive me.
No problem, it's not as apparent as one might think. I don't have it in front of me so excuse me if I forget something or worse, am completely talking about another one of their instruments. But in the upper left corner under file there is a sub menu. Either preferences or options or? That should open a box with tabs and in there navigate to where it has the paths. You might have to browse and add the path and then it's either scan or rebuild DB from there. Then close and restart. Sorry I'm being so unsure in giving you the info here as I don't do it often, but sometimes. And like I said, I don't have it in front of me ATM.
I did happen to have to update a third party set today (one of the unlicensed, so it has to be accessed through files.) But this particular one placed the updated files in a subfolder of the sample folder which kept it from being found until I moved the files into it's parent folder. So that may be relative, but not exactly to what I think you're trying to find.
Hope something in that blather at least gives you a couple of places to check though? :?

And I'm hardly close to being any kind of Kontakt expert around here, so one that is should be giving you a better answer than I in the next few comments.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Try right-clicking the host shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator". It doesn't always work, but you might be lucky.
I second this, 'cause I was in the same situation of the OP since I switched last year to Windows for my desktop. If the OP uses Live, "Run as administrator" is the key to make plugins work properly.

Coming from a Mac (which I use more than Windows these days), it's best to think of "Run as administrator" as the equivalent of "Repair disk permissions". Sometimes, magic happens.

Carpenter wrote:Hello.

I'm coming back to Windows after several years using OSX. I have apparently forgotten the various methods for Windows. I keep trying to install some third party instruments for Kontakt Player. It appears as though I'm doing everything the install instructions indicate, but I'm not having any luck.

Every time I launch Kontakt Player, I get a "Library Content Not Found. Click Locate To Set The Content." message. I have repeatedly tried to automatically resolve it, as well as directing it to the content manually, but it doesn't do anything to remedy the problem.

Does anybody know what I should do?

Thanks!
First things first: What version of Kontakt Player are you using? Does ANY library appear in the left list under the proper tab in the left column of Kontakt? Did you use the button to "install new libraries" (or find new libraries or something like that - I also am not in front of my music computer, so I am talking without possibility to confirm). And how did you install the libraries in question? Do they have a proper installer os did you just copy folders to the hard-disk?
Fernando (FMR)

BTW, a stint in owning IK STank products has trained me to install everything under 'run as administrator'.
Even to the point of having each desktop shortcut set to do so under properties\advanced\run as administrator after the install.
But it's actually rare when you need to do so and I've since tired of the extra second or two in opening/confirming this - so I've removed that from 99% of the software I run. (Using it on the Service Centers and such only now).

Keeping in mind the file paths also, sometimes you have to manually change that in the registry to match.

Another thing is that when I do updates from NI, it sometimes wants to put updated *.dll's in some default place
(usually users\documents\Native Instruments) and I have to move them to the place I keep them.

Perhaps this will help you:
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/su ... tallation/

If you do not save the instrument after finding the content, you WILL encounter this error EACH TIME you open Kontakt. Be sure to save the instrument after locating the content!

This vid may also help you to understand the libraries not found error and how to fix this problem:
http://soundsandgear.com/how-to-add-lib ... und-error/

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Instruments”