Mpc 1000 with jjos?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How good is it at sequencing external gear? I'm deciding between the 1k and 500. I travel a lot so can't get a big one like id like too.

Its very good for sequencing both external units and software - JJOS is a must IMO, addiing lots of functions and useability - external midi control for example and more comprehensive audio tracks. In comparison the 500 will leave you wanting alot more if your looking to make it the centrepeice. The JJOS makes it better than most of the larger units in many respects. Just make sure it is not the older 1k without the pad upgrade.

I've heard some people say the MIDI timing worse with jjOS, something to consider if that's important to you.

In another thread you mentioned not being sure about which hardware sampler.

Definitely take a look at the Elektron Octatrack ... it's an amazing and unique device with an endless set of possibilities. Very portable too, perfect for on the road. *edit - and it can also be used to sequence external devices.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Almost everyone agrees the 1000 is better than the 500.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:I've heard some people say the MIDI timing worse with jjOS, something to consider if that's important to you.

In another thread you mentioned not being sure about which hardware sampler.

Definitely take a look at the Elektron Octatrack ... it's an amazing and unique device with an endless set of possibilities. Very portable too, perfect for on the road. *edit - and it can also be used to sequence external devices.

Peace,
Andy.
I can't decide on anything, but I would love the octatrack. I don't see any used ones on ebay though. Do you own one? How are the fx?

Yeah, decisions are difficult especially with so many options available :)

I've had an Octatrack for a couple of months now, but have been using Elektron gear for a long time so I'm familiar with the general workflow. When it was released it didn't appeal to me but I recently discovered that it's more than a live sampler / looping device and would be very useful to me for playing live sets.

e.g. it can stream multiple stems from the CF card, so you could have a set pre-rendered and sequenced, and then use the 8 MIDI tracks to sequence external synths.

Or you could run multiple synths and drum machines in to the inputs to record / trigger / remix. The live sampling side is easy to use and opens up a lot of performance and sound mangling possibilities.

Basically, it's a very deep machine but that means there are lots of different workflows, so quite difficult to describe in a short space. You can choose to make it as simple or complex as you like (or abilities dictate).

The FX are very good, covering the standards from filters and delay through modulation and reverb. I really like the dark reverb.

Second hand, check the official Elektron forum:

http://www.elektronauts.com/forums

There's a gear for sale thread, you'll find one comes up for sale every so often.

Check out some of the videos on the Elektron Youtube channel, you will have a much clearer idea of what it's capable of.

Peace,
Andy.

Just thought I'd let everyone know what I bought. I was looking for the right MPC, but I could not find one I was confident in, at least for a good price. Then, searching for the Octatrack, found an Analog Four and bought it instead. You know how that goes haha.

Thanks for all of your help guys (mostly Andy) but I couldn't resist the A4. Next buy is definetely a sampler.

Nice one! :lol:

The Analog 4 is a great synth. Welcome to world of Elektron, it's an addictive place to be once you grok the workflow ...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”