Are you a UI snob?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For me, it doesn't have anything to do with snobbism. There are many great plugins out there these days, and I have a limited amount of money. Why should I not go for the ones that I like / suit me the best - every aspect of them, including (G)UI.
And even when it's not about money (freeware); I also have a limited amount of time.

Still, I have a few commercial plugins with (G)UIs that I don't like - well, aspects of it anyway:
- D16 silver bundle: Too 3D
- Older Arturia plugins: Too small
- Sytrus: Too small

T-CM11 wrote:- Sytrus: Too small
+1 Far too small for the Big sound Sytrus can create

Image Line should really think about giving it a fix up

Numanoid wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:- Sytrus: Too small
+1 Far too small for the Big sound Sytrus can create

Image Line should really think about giving it a fix up
Yep. Definitely.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I'm also a logo snob I don't like the DIVA logo I prefair it as solid text. I really can't stand how the T-Racks logo makes their plugins look cheap. That syle of logo is typical of l USA companies logos in 1990 - 2008 some still use that style.

I like a lot what Future Audio Workshop did with Circle a few years ago. I think it was one of the first "flat design" UI I have seen for audio plug-ins, and it was really cool to use it. Moreover, I liked a lot the animation of things sync'ed with modulation. I would like that a lot of other synths have animated components this way.

I like also the UI design from the Audio Damage guys, which is for me one of the most innovative done these last years. Even when they are doing a "simple mono synth", they are able to do something which looks very different of what other companies do, in my opinion.

That one from audiodamage is really great, flat, clear and easy on the eyes.

I will try the synth just because of it.
dedication to flying

Who buys a new car they think is ugly just because it gets them where they want to go (unless you have no other choice ofcourse)? Just like an ugly car,ugly plugins "can" be a deal breaker for me unless it's got something so killer it trumps ugly. I don't buy ugly shoes just cause they have sole either. Everybody likes nice looking stuff.
Same with plugins for me I gotta like to look at it. I hate cartoony plugins. Too many great plugins to have to stomach ugly ones. I never liked Absynth green. Turns my stomach. I use it, but I close it as soon as I get the sound I need. What would the neighbors think? I wouldn't buy it again cause it's so ugly. Guess that makes me a gui snob if you wanna call it that.

dblock wrote:Who buys a new car they think is ugly just because it gets them where they want to go
except that's not really a good analogy. the issue here is that people would ditch the most incredible sounding plugin, purely on the basis of how it looks

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
dblock wrote:Who buys a new car they think is ugly just because it gets them where they want to go
except that's not really a good analogy. the issue here is that people would ditch the most incredible sounding plugin, purely on the basis of how it looks
I might agree except that the op never mentioned ditching plugins but rather downloading an ugly one in the first place. I mentioned not buying a car because it's ugly (even a corvette if I thought it was ugly) Sounds like a pretty fair comparison to me.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: except that's not really a good analogy. the issue here is that people would ditch the most incredible sounding plugin, purely on the basis of how it looks
The thing is; there's not just one most incredible sounding plugin. :wink:

T-CM11 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: except that's not really a good analogy. the issue here is that people would ditch the most incredible sounding plugin, purely on the basis of how it looks
The thing is; there's not just one most incredible sounding plugin. :wink:
That's my feeling. There are so many choices, I look for something that sounds incredible AND looks good. That's just me. There's a big wide plugin world out there that offers both so I see no need to settle.

Affortunately the plug ins which sound I love and like have good to very good GUI's.

Seems some developers have skills (to design or choose a good designer) for both.
dedication to flying

iDesignSound wrote:I know I am.
If something looks ugly I just won't download it, even if it's free (and probably sounds great) I just like prefer to use nice looking things.
So, tell me, which soft synths and effects get your vote for the best UI's? :party:
* shameless self-advertisement here... *   :D

ImageImage

Looks good, but I'm a 64 bit snob. :P :D

dblock wrote:Who buys a new car they think is ugly just because it gets them where they want to go (unless you have no other choice ofcourse)? Just like an ugly car,ugly plugins "can" be a deal breaker for me unless it's got something so killer it trumps ugly. I don't buy ugly shoes just cause they have sole either. Everybody likes nice looking stuff.
Same with plugins for me I gotta like to look at it. I hate cartoony plugins. Too many great plugins to have to stomach ugly ones. I never liked Absynth green. Turns my stomach. I use it, but I close it as soon as I get the sound I need. What would the neighbors think? I wouldn't buy it again cause it's so ugly. Guess that makes me a gui snob if you wanna call it that.
If you care about how pretty your table saw and drill are, you have problems. I care about how well the tools works. If you buy a car based purely on looks, you have problems.

Return to “Instruments”