FR: Mono Tracks & True Pan Pots

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nice one goatgirl!

one question, whats your idea behind the second tool in each chain?

BTW: I love this community, getting more interesting every day! Just wanted to mention that!

QT: We started with the script sharing community, was the most important one for the beginning, and we won't stop there. But one step at a time, you know we're only a gang of around 10 passionate people...

Goatgirl: Exactly, get in the ring of the super builders :)

All: Have fun tinkering, i'll be back after a weekend of recharging...

Cheers,
Dom

Well, the first tool splits the left and right channel into its mono components. The second one puts the now mono in its own left and right channel which I then balance using the macros. Its crude but kind of works. :)

Thanks Dom, can't wait for you guys to open up the full modular system.. this girl is gonna have fun :D
Last edited by goatgirl on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

... have not checked out the preset, but the approach sounds exactly right, goatgirl!
suloo was trying to do the same and was just confused by the phase reverse buttons not being mute buttons for left and right.

over and out!

Indeed. I think the manual could do with a little more explanation regarding many of the devices. Us poor users have to be go and start twiddling things to find out what things do ;)

Here is another one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckb9z31upw9kx ... reset?dl=0

Macro 1: left channel pan
Macro 2: right channel pan
Macro 5: Mid Volume Control aka panning law
Macro 6: Side Volume Control

additionally there is a compressor for the mids and a reverb for the sides.

just one thing that i still couldn`t solve, is the change in the volume when activating just the pan control tools.
The original file is a little lower in volume on the right channel, but those pan tools make them both the same, so its not neutral.

Could this be a bug or a feature? :D

cheers Dom, have a good weekend!

In the one I posted, if Pan A is hard left and Pan B is hard right (or vice versa), then you still see the small change in volume between the two. Anything else and you are cross feeding the signals, such that both in the centre positions each channel has equal amounts of left and right, which shows as the same level.

ah ok, yea i see. Nice One!

dom@bitwig wrote:If you compare that to a more complicated pan section that clutters up just any track, even if you don't need it, it is a matter of taste what is better.
I think a DAW focussed more on tracking and studio work, like Cubase, is fine with such a pan section. In a DAW aiming more at creation and sound design, like Bitwig Studio, i like the tool approach more.
Just a crazy idea that came up some time ago and back when i read this (know that it's a little bit off topic, but ;) ):
I some other daws there are these mixer interfaces where you have these little eq curves, compressor parameters for each channel (e.g. Reason with its SSL-mixer).
Of course this approach of a preconfigured chain doesn't fit to bitwig at all! But all in all it's not bad to have these 'quick params' for fast adjustments and comparability of tracks.

So for BWS it could look like this: you can setup a so called 'default track fx chain'. This contains some devices which you can choose and setup yourself. There you have the total freedom to not only use an eq and compressor but also Distortion, Blur, Tape/vintage emulations, VSTs or whatever you want.
Now the clue: the user now can select Macros, parameters s/he wants to show in the mixer view -> As knobs, little faders or in another manner (like little eq curves). (of course custom interface design beyond knobs probably isn't possible until version 2.0)
This default track fx chain is loaded into every track that is created. To save CPU all contained fx are deactivated but can quickly be activated from the mixer.
I mean, the Bitwig mixer would be really powerful. It could compete with all these preconfigured mixers of other DAWs with their quick access params. And it would definetly beat them because of the customization features!

Please let me know what you think about this idea! Would like to hear other opinions, ideas! If not everybody bashes it and Dom didn't instantly veto it, we also could open another thread for it ;)

you mean like a macro view in the mixer wich can be switched on and customised by the actual track FX?

sounds nice!

then i could also get my pan controls into the mixer hehe :D

u-u-u you should make a thread about this...it's a nice idea imo.

OK, I'll copy over my text ;)

New free plugin came out a few days ago that made me think of this thread.

A1StereoControl
http://a1audio.de/index.php/a1stereocontrol

Pretty solid implementation of pan laws, dual panning, stereo width, mono, "safe bass" mono below a given Hz value, along with a few other things.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

nice one thx!

I made a really easy to use true pan here.
it boost volume a bit so beware of that. But it do true panning.

Turn macro knob 1 left to pan left and turn same knob right to pan right.

Why do this work?
It is because i used fx layer and panned the channels left and right and used macro on them with bipolar.
Then i used pan left and pan right 1 tool each on each channel. After those i used width to 0 to make each mono.

i pan with tool to left , then mono, it makes left being played in mono. and having channel panned to left it plays that content on left. so when i drag that channel to right it brings left into right.

Try it. Works like a charm :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

Return to “Bitwig”