Imperial Delay by Boz Digital only $299..

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Imperial Delay

Robmobius wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
You were right the first time. Your advert in my email stated "It will most definitely never be priced this low again" - now you are backtracking and saying you will occasionally drop the price again (maybe not as low). That's a great way to piss everyone off - the people who you imagine will pay the premium price won't if they have any sense because they know it will come down, or even worse, those few that fall for it will feel cheated and angry because they paid a ton and then it came down, and the people you think will want to buy it when it's a lower price may not do so because they feel, like me, that you are pressuring them with the message "buy it now or you'll never be able to afford it again". I actually had it in the cart on your site but then thought half of it was a reaction to feeling I only had a few days to snap it up at that price - and then I felt manipulated and closed the page. I am sure I am not the only one feeling like that - treat your customers like adults not mugs, with a fair stable price and quit messing everyone around with tactical marketing.
aMUSEd has totally nailed it... You should be rethinking you strategy Boz. First rule of business - Don't upset potential clients and keep the ones you have happy. I consider myself in the latter camp as I did buy T-Bone (which is a good plugin).
I am sort of in the market for a delay but I don't like to buy based on time pressure. There is something about stable pricing that gives me an impression of stability within a company. Waves being the exception, although when they first started having these huge price slashes It did make me wonder.

Aside from that I don't like the GUI all that much. Part of it is very nice looking 3D (which I don't care for much) but then other parts look very basic. It's just a bit unmatched, like a photo with digital overlays.

The buttons are a bit small too.

Lacks some useful presets (although I know you are going to address that, and I am perfectly able to make my own)

Having to register just to get a demo. Hate that.

Just some feedback, don't take it the wrong way. I do think it sounds good though.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

asksol wrote:Demoed it a little bit, but couldn't tweak it into making a sound that I *really* liked.

They have a youtube video entitled "Killing the Eventide H3000", but I don't see how that could happen.
Maybe for microshift it's decent, but at that price I would expect something novel with lots of features or something intensely musical like the Soundtoys PrimalTap. Probably worth the intro price but not something I have use for given the alternatives.

Also it seems that the 0.1ms delay time is way more than 0.1ms, or maybe it's just a combination of parameters?
The delay goes to 0.1 ms, until you engage the pitch shifter, which requires an additional 2,500 samples of delay to fully process. So, if you're working in 44.1k, it comes out to about 56 ms. If uses a built in delay compensation.. if the delay is over 56 ms, it'll have enough time to fully process that pitch shift and be fine, but anything until 56 ms will still be delayed 56 ms. So if you have the pitch shift engaged and the delay down to 0.1 ms, it'll still come out to 56 ms as it has to process the pitch shifter.

Sheesh. Tough crowd.

Well guys, I'm more than happy to talk about marketing stuff with anyone who wants to, but clearly a public forum isn't the place to do that. I don't have anything to hide, but it's too easy to take anything anyone says out of context and not understand the intent of what is written. That goes both ways.

Boz the 'crowd' here represents a sample of your customers (and don't ignore the fact that most of us feel positively about your delay and other products) - treat this as an exercise in market research and take the feedback on board.

Ima chime in.

I think it's important to listen to the tough crowd because like it or not, it's your main base ;)

Still, I haven't done the demo.......my bad.

There's a lot more to marketing than just price. Making something expensive will not instantly put it in the big league of pro software. The likes of Waves have such a long history within the industry and such a good rep (not to mention extensive catalogue of plugins) that an artificially high price for the studios may be justified. Don't forget also that Waves, SoundToys etc also have a number of bundles available at significant discounts.

I seriously doubt that Elton John or someone similar is gonna walk into a studio and say "I heard about this new delay effect by some guy called Boz, i want that one". Maybe there's a few sales to be had from professional engineers but even then I suspect they are too busy to care about checking out every new high-price plugin on the market.

I assume that the money made from these early sales will be used to run extensive promo campaigns in SOS and any relevant industry publications. Will it be worth it? Who knows. By all accounts (i haven't tried it), you have made a decent plugin here. There are plenty of devs making decent low-cost plugins that seem to be doing well for themselves (ValhallaDSP springs to mind here). I really think you'd be better off positioning yourself in this part of the market than trying to compete with the big boys.

As it stands, I might well want to buy a decent delay effect in a few months, i simply can't afford one right now. If your asking price by then is $299 then you've absolutely lost a sale. I'm sure I'm not an isolated case.

hibidy wrote:I think it's important to listen to the tough crowd because like it or not, it's your main base ;)
except if you go back to his opening gambit, he doesn't see us as his main base at all :shrug:

Well then, that seals the deal :D

So for $300 you have some pretty stiff competition..

$50 will get you Ubermod.
http://valhalladsp.com/valhallaubermod

$89 will get you Sigmund
http://www.d16.pl/sigmund

$99 will get you Bloom
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=197&tab=478

$99 will get you Echo
http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/delays/psp_echo/

$130 will get you Satin
http://www.u-he.com/cms/satin

$144 will get you Timeless 2
http://www.fabfilter.com/products/timeless.php

$180 will get you Echoboy
http://www.soundtoys.com/product/echoboy
:borg:

This can't be serious...

What's next, a Jesus Delay for $599? :D

Don't forget AD's Discord3, DMG Pitchfunk, and NI's Guitar Rig, which is great for delays.

That said, it does look like a very capable delay.

I bet if he priced this at $59 and did an intro sale for $39, nobody would talk about it. Any publicity is good publicity, right? At least people talk about it. Don't know if that will work out, but that's his decision.

I think in one point he is right: most people here at KVR (and other places) neglect that in the (upper) pro league usually time is an issue, not money. If a tool helps you to get a good result fast, it might pay for itself in a day. Buying a beta version of trikit delay for €9 like I did would be a no go. Small market though as boz said himself.
Let's go back in time like twenty years, shall we? While big studios bought the latest eventide or lexicon effect unit for lots of money (because they still could make a profit with it) I had an alesis nanoverb. The price difference between "pro" and "amateur" equipment was huge. Nowadays it's next to nothing. Good times! Who cares whether some delay will cost $300. The next one is waiting round the corner...

So what's my point here? Don't really know, still waiting for my second espresso to kick in.
Peace. Love. Shellfish. Go make some music or test drive another plugin. Go outside and do nothing...

I wonder why my coffee tasted weird today...

We have very capable delay plugins already available for a fraction of the $299 which this plugin will cost in a few days. Thats what this thread is all about.

Sure, you can like other delays more (like i do) or you can favour this one but thats a complete different story and basically not the topic here. That said, of course it's hard to keep the line because it's natural to compare it with other lower priced delays. At the end it's KVR here.. :)

For me this is par exellence an example how "not to do it" nowdays but as said before it is his own business so what?

Only one thing (or two): As other pointed out already Boz should not underestimate or misgauge his real customer base (which many from us still are).

Also keeping as argument for a ridiculous high price that a "Pro-User" or whatever you want to call Elton may need a plugin delay within the next hour during a studio session is at least totally unrealistic.. ..sorry to say so.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

valerian_777 wrote:Elton may need a plugin delay within the next hour during a studio session is at least totally unrealistic.. ..sorry to say so.
it's such a strange argument. if someone needs something urgently, they still have much to choose from. the idea that the kind of studio that elton john records in won't already have tools that the engineer knows back-to-front, is bizarre. even then, if something new is needed instantly, why does someone need to pay $300 dollars ?? does boz guarantee that a license bought on a sunday morning at 2am, will be email delivered within two minutes ?? if so, then perhaps the offsetting of potential lost studio time could be the major selling point.

Yeah, and make sure the installation process doesn't require restarting the computer either, it's a plugin ffs.

Return to “Effects”