Energy XT 2.7 Feature - or Bug?

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been using Energy XT as a modular environment to allow looping of audio into big soundscapes.

I capture the output of the process using Melda Recorder into a final WAV

I build the machine I want in modular view then allocate tracks in the sequencer to each instrument as needed.

I can then start recording and use the resulting MIDI tracks to go back and create new versions and mixes of the improvisations. (or correct bum notes ...)

I've discovered that you can change track focus while recording and each track will capture the events you record. BUT - and is this a bug or feature? - when you STOP the recording, the tracks do not appear to have been used. There are no "strips of tape" in the arrange window.

However, if you then select each track and hit RECORD without doing anything - only for a second or so before selecting STOP- the tape strips then appear as you would have expected.

Anyone else get this?

Very complicated transcription... :wink:

Could it be the "Marker Track" is enabled?

Easily to reproduce...
I would call it a bug (not a show-stopper though.)
I can't find a reason why NOT showing 'strips of tape' with recorded material immediately (or at least immediately after stop of recording) should be a 'feature'.

@ZonderP

What - for heaven's sake - is a "strip of tape"? :scared:

I just noticed, when the marker-track is shown it's not possible to record midi. eXT produces just an empty clip of one bar length.

@fanta

'strip of tape' - Marquis introduced this term (I just cited it - for him to better understand), we would preferably call it 'part'.

What Marquis meant:
Assume marker track is not shown so that midi input works as expected...
E.g.: Create 3 MIDI tracks with VST instruments assigned as output.
Then select 1st track and start recording.
Press keys on your MIDI keyboard or whatever input device you have available that triggers MIDI note on/off messages.
While recording, click on header of 2nd track so that it displays as the selected track. From now on recording will go to this 2nd track (but without visual representation (bug!)). Be sure to still trigger notes on you MIDI input device.
Still while recording to the same as above for track 3.
Now stop recording.
You will see a part created for 1st track, but there will be no parts visible for tracks 2 +3, although MIDI data was recorded there.
When you now just start recording again the previously invisible parts on track 2 and 3 become visible.

Thanks a lot. I see clearer now. I overlooked that because I never did 2 tracks at the same time.

By the way...

Create 2 Midi-tracks (no vsti! Just an empty instrument!)
Select the 1st track and record some notes
While recording switch to track 2
Try to record some notes... Crash!!!

But in my opinion I would not report the result of such extreme operations as a real bug (also the results of overstated midi-mapping). I think, Jorgen didn't expect that some users would try to treat eXT close to the edge.

And just for information the behavior of some DAWs...

Samplitude blocks switching an armed track while recording.
Reaper and Ableton allows switching on the fly.

... so you have a choice. If you need it.

Confirmed!
Crashed for me too, but only once in a while.
I was already about to write that I couldn't reproduce after about 10 tries, but then it happened once...

Return to “energyXT”