The Hang - poll closed

Official support for: patchpool.de
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BBFG# wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:13:10 - Alchemy vs. Kontakt. Come on, give us a few more votes, please.

It will probably be a multiple-format project then.
Hope so, I have some of your samples for both and depending on how I use them will go to one or the other.
Doubtful that I will ever be a Mach (PACE) user, but I do look at the HALion every once in awhile.
If you did these for HALion also, would they be able to play in the Sonic 2 version or just 5?
Unfortunately HALion Sonic content can only be released by Steinberg, no access for 3rd party devs. I will probably do a HALion library for Steinberg in the future, but not in the near future and not focussed on the Hang.

Machfive I voted for but which one does your heart say will be the best?
Last edited by afcollett on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

afcollett wrote:Machfive
That was my vote too, it doesn't have a chance in this poll against Kontakt and Alchemy though, but I will definitely also release some Hang for M5.

I voted for Alchemy and Mach Five.

I also tried to vote for Halion 5 as I think it's a stunning instrument.

For me I prefer you to produce with the tools you find have the best workflow, and the right features for the job at hand..

When I consider the hours of work needed to make these libraries, and how relatively small the market is for these kinds of products, I find it an easy thing for this user just to buy all of the engines there are for the libraries of yours or any other developer that I need.

The cost of each instrument I own that Simon makes sounds for and in some cases at least bought them specifically for playing Patchpool content hasn't been that prohibitively high as I have got most of these on the market place or in the introductory sale or one of the sales:
Marketplace:
Alchemy 1.5.5, Mach V 3.2, Halion 5, Stutter Edit Reaktor 5.9,
Introductory Sale:
AAS Chromaphone, Iris and Iris 2, Diversion, 2C audio B2
Sale:
Molekular, Razor.

I don't see the problem with owning all this software and not using each individual tool that regularily as they are on a harddisk not filling my studio up with boxes..

Another point is I keep in the loop and can upgrade whichever ones I want as they come with new features, so like wine many of them just keep getting better as time goes by..

I've used software for music since the original Cubase Audio 1994 so dongles are something I've used and just forgot I had them and get on with making music, so I don't really see the dongle discussion is worth worrying about. On my most recent upgrade, the dongle system was actually the most convenient of them all..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Well, it's nice to see MachFive is finally getting some love around here, as it is one of the most complete instruments out there, but the dongle/iLok discussion is not a rational one, so about 50% of potential users are ruled out from the start. Developing libraries for unpopular instruments carries high financial risks, producing a full libs for M5 including the scripting costs me a small fortune every time and when there are not enough revenues, I actually lose money with those products. In the long run though, I believe MachFive and HALion 5 will rule the market more, unless NI comes up with a similar hybrid instrument which can do all sorts of synthesis in one shell, which I highly doubt. And there is still hope for a much improved Alchemy 2, so let's see what that brings to the table.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Well, it's nice to see MachFive is finally getting some love around here, as it is one of the most complete instruments out there, but the dongle/iLok discussion is not a rational one, so about 50% of potential users are ruled out from the start. Developing libraries for unpopular instruments carries high financial risks, producing a full libs for M5 including the scripting costs me a small fortune every time and when there are not enough revenues, I actually lose money with those products. In the long run though, I believe MachFive and HALion 5 will rule the market more, unless NI comes up with a similar hybrid instrument which can do all sorts of synthesis in one shell, which I highly doubt. And there is still hope for a much improved Alchemy 2, so let's see what that brings to the table.
If they are more expensive to produce and have a smaller market perhaps you could break up the libraries into smaller bites and keep the prices high enough for each library so you could turn a profit.. Or perhaps somesort of crowdsourcing, or subscription plan could lighten the economic burden.

I aware of production costs for these libraries and I appreciate the value we are getting when we buy patchpool sounds, though I need to be reminded of the details of how you do what you do to work your magic once in awhile.. Basically the hard truth is there not enough time for the average person today to reach the skill levels needed for this kind of quality work. That's why I'm a happy to be a customer here!

While downloading today, I decided to give HAlion5 demo another chance in checking it out. I realized that much of my displeasure for eLicenser has come as an overflow from my trials with iLok/PACE which disgust me more each time I break down and give them another try (Mainly due to their promise of being better than they were and finding out they are the same).
And I'm not looking to derail back into the 'debate' here, just a segue to pulling out my USB eLicense and giving it a try without lumping it with that 'other protection' company.
Anyway, I'll give it a try this week and see if it is something I can go for.

BBFG# wrote:While downloading today, I decided to give HAlion5 demo another chance in checking it out. I realized that much of my displeasure for eLicenser has come as an overflow from my trials with iLok/PACE which disgust me more each time I break down and give them another try (Mainly due to their promise of being better than they were and finding out they are the same).
And I'm not looking to derail back into the 'debate' here, just a segue to pulling out my USB eLicense and giving it a try without lumping it with that 'other protection' company.
Anyway, I'll give it a try this week and see if it is something I can go for.
That sounds like a constructive approach :)

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Well, it's nice to see MachFive is finally getting some love around here, as it is one of the most complete instruments out there, but the dongle/iLok discussion is not a rational one, so about 50% of potential users are ruled out from the start. Developing libraries for unpopular instruments carries high financial risks, producing a full libs for M5 including the scripting costs me a small fortune every time and when there are not enough revenues, I actually lose money with those products. In the long run though, I believe MachFive and HALion 5 will rule the market more, unless NI comes up with a similar hybrid instrument which can do all sorts of synthesis in one shell, which I highly doubt. And there is still hope for a much improved Alchemy 2, so let's see what that brings to the table.
If they are more expensive to produce and have a smaller market perhaps you could break up the libraries into smaller bites and keep the prices high enough for each library so you could turn a profit.. Or perhaps somesort of crowdsourcing, or subscription plan could lighten the economic burden.

I aware of production costs for these libraries and I appreciate the value we are getting when we buy patchpool sounds, though I need to be reminded of the details of how you do what you do to work your magic once in awhile.. Basically the hard truth is there not enough time for the average person today to reach the skill levels needed for this kind of quality work. That's why I'm a happy to be a customer here!
Subscriptions and smaller portions don't really make this any better, I decided to believe in myself and just go on with it and take risks when they are due. After all, this is about sound exploration and future development, not only about business and revenues. If I don't keep myself fascinated with each project I might as well do something else.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Well, it's nice to see MachFive is finally getting some love around here, as it is one of the most complete instruments out there, but the dongle/iLok discussion is not a rational one, so about 50% of potential users are ruled out from the start. Developing libraries for unpopular instruments carries high financial risks, producing a full libs for M5 including the scripting costs me a small fortune every time and when there are not enough revenues, I actually lose money with those products.

If that's the case would it be worth licensing the ability to load them in UVI Workstation? That may cost more initially but would vastly increase your potential market.

aMUSEd wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Well, it's nice to see MachFive is finally getting some love around here, as it is one of the most complete instruments out there, but the dongle/iLok discussion is not a rational one, so about 50% of potential users are ruled out from the start. Developing libraries for unpopular instruments carries high financial risks, producing a full libs for M5 including the scripting costs me a small fortune every time and when there are not enough revenues, I actually lose money with those products.

If that's the case would it be worth licensing the ability to load them in UVI Workstation? That may cost more initially but would vastly increase your potential market.
Yeah, I checked that out last year, seems out of my reach for now though.

So with today's news that Camel Audio is going out of business, this poll renders pretty useless. There are rumors that CA has been bought by another company, but well, these are still rumors. I am glad that I have't started making Alchemy patches with the Hang samples...

Sampleconstruct wrote:So with today's news that Camel Audio is going out of business, this poll renders pretty useless. There are rumors that CA has been bought by another company, but well, these are still rumors. I am glad that I have't started making Alchemy patches with the Hang samples...
I'm glad you put off doing work on the Alchemy Hang soundset s as well. Though In one perspective all present owners of Alchemy that want to keep using it will not be able to buy sets Camel Audios own catalogue, so if they want new sounds for Alchemy you and others that have produced libraries independently have that market more to themselves.

Your work for Alchemy is particularly interesting and high quality so I think when things settle down, users of Alchemy will checkout Patchpool soundbanks and find something that suits their needs..

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:So with today's news that Camel Audio is going out of business, this poll renders pretty useless. There are rumors that CA has been bought by another company, but well, these are still rumors. I am glad that I have't started making Alchemy patches with the Hang samples...
I'm glad you put off doing work on the Alchemy Hang soundset s as well. Though In one perspective all present owners of Alchemy that want to keep using it will not be able to buy sets Camel Audios own catalogue, so if they want new sounds for Alchemy you and others that have produced libraries independently have that market more to themselves.

Your work for Alchemy is particularly interesting and high quality so I think when things settle down, users of Alchemy will checkout Patchpool soundbanks and find something that suits their needs..
Let's stop the speculations and see what will be, although I have one more speculation to share: if CA has been bought by another investor/company, than that investor will use the Alchemy code for something else maybe, I doubt that Alchemy will stay alive as we know it now, and from now on I don't even care any more, too much time has been wasted with this stupid topic, if and when v2 will be released and what it might include and what not, what a lot of hot air...pfffffffffttttttttt

Sampleconstruct wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote:

Let's stop the speculations and see what will be, although I have one more speculation to share: if CA has been bought by another investor/company, than that investor will use the Alchemy code for something else maybe, I doubt that Alchemy will stay alive as we know it now, and from now on I don't even care any more, too much time has been wasted with this stupid topic, if and when v2 will be released and what it might include and what not, what a lot of hot air...pfffffffffttttttttt
I'm not speculating it's hard facts about my "emotional feelings" and "gut reactions" caused by state of things in audioland...

But IF they have been bought out then no there won't be an Alchemy 2, what company would want to offer an upgrade path when they can charge full price for version one Cacohpny Abatross sound monster plug!

Return to “patchpool”