Gforce introduces the new oddity version 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Oddity2

heffus wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Looks good and sounds even better :) Some of those demos spread that vintage atmosphere, very nice :) Seldom felt that with any other software synths.
On the beat pattern for instance sounds awesome :) Slow funk groove as well... The next as well, gee, they all sound so funky, perfect for black music.

I hope it doesn't have 0df filters, else it would use too much CPU for me. I wonder how readable the gui is in its actual size...
What is "black music"?
Not sure that term is still pc, but it was used when I grew up. Black music included Soul, Funk, R&B, Jazz, Fusion.
That synth sounds like it would be perfect for Fusion for instance.

Oddity (along with Absynth, timewARP and ModularV) is an old softie I've never tired of. It does a terrific job capturing the ambiance of the original Odyssey. And given how the slightest adjustments on that layout can turn noise into perfection, patch management on this emulation is particularly requisite. But truth be told though, I've programed a couple of duophonic patches on Diva using ring mod on the "Byte" osc through the "ladder" filter that comes pretty damn close to the sonic punch of the 2035 on an actual analog ARP. But I don't think Urs is going to add ARP modeled oscillators or that fantastic Odyssey mixer to Diva any time soon.

So I've sent my money in for the Oddity update. Dave and Steve are terrific. I'm not expecting outright zero filters in the new one, elsewise it surely would have been mentioned. But any application of more modern coding in that direction would be most welcome.

buescher wrote:Oddity (along with Absynth, timewARP and ModularV) is an old softie I've never tired of. It does a terrific job capturing the ambiance of the original Odyssey. And given how the slightest adjustments on that layout can turn noise into perfection, patch management on this emulation is particularly requisite. But truth be told though, I've programed a couple of duophonic patches on Diva using ring mod on the "Byte" osc through the "ladder" filter that comes pretty damn close to the sonic punch of the 2035 on an actual analog ARP. But I don't think Urs is going to add ARP modeled oscillators or that fantastic Odyssey mixer to Diva any time soon.
Even if he did I think the Oddity is still super useful. For one, very low cpu. For two, the modulation system, like the minimonsta is quite capable. Also, I find different between dev version of things are much like different physical analogs, they have their own character. Hence Monark is totally worth having even when one already has Diva.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Monark is totally worth having even when one already has Diva.
the 2 most celebrated examples of recent state of the art emulation.

Definitely worth owning both Diva and Monark. Patches programmed the same in either synth sound noticeably different. I don't imagine Oddity 2 will be near as authentic but you never know.

I'm excited to see how this turns out, I'm sure it will be very good. GForce stuff always is.

I was looking forward to this, as I love all of GForce's stuff. But, then I remembered, NO AAX. As a PT user, I've kinda decided if it doesn't work in the new format, I don't need it. But, I do use the rest of their stuff in PT via DDMF's Metaplugin. Works great. I'm sure the new Oddity is pretty good, in any event...

only the preset selection in oddity is stonage, i hope they will do something similar like in imposcar2, and an arpeggiator or sequnencer would be very nice.

BigSZ wrote: I'm sure the new Oddity is pretty good, in any event...
Yea it looks very good with the new additions.

Oddity2 was released today and it certainly doesn't disappoint.

I won't harp on about what makes it so great but suggest you download the demo:

http://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/ ... o_download

GForce are such a great company. They avoid the splashy hype that surrounds so much of the virtual instrument business these days and quietly go about their business releasing instruments that have all gone on to be considered classics via word of mouth. And Dave Spiers certainly knows his onions when it comes to analog synthesis and he puts all that knowledge and passion into every instrument he develops.

Another future classic I reckon.

Sounds nice and the addition of polyphony is a nice bonus. :)
:borg:

Cool - already bought this so downloading now.

very interesting comparing 2 to the original. i'm sure that with a little practice everything that can be induced out of the original is readily available in the new and improved. but at the moment 2 seems like almost an entirely new synth, capable of the most ethereal polys, strings, and polyrhythmic romps, while the original remains easy access to that basic Odyssey goodness.

waiting on my license from jrrshop

update: License rec'd Dec 3...very nice.
Last edited by scook on Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

metrosonic wrote:Dave Spiers certainly knows his onions when it comes to analog synthesis and he puts all that knowledge and passion into every instrument he develops.
I think much (all?) of the DSP is done by OhmForce, which probably means Laurent. At least he's the first one mentioned in "Thanks and acknowledgements" after ARP's founders.
http://www.gforcesoftware.com/gforce/about
https://www.ohmforce.com/Company.do

buescher wrote:very interesting comparing 2 to the original. i'm sure that with a little practice everything that can be induced out of the original is readily available in the new and improved. but at the moment 2 seems like almost an entirely new synth, capable of the most ethereal polys, strings, and polyrhythmic romps, while the original remains easy access to that basic Odyssey goodness.
I think this is the genius of what the GForce team have achieved. It loads all the patches I made for v1 without problem but the new features takes it into poly Oberheim territory.

When I heard that GForce weren't updating the presets system I was a tad irked but now that decision makes much more sense. And to be honest I now use my DAW to manage all my synth presets so it's not really an issue.

I can see Oddity2 finding a place next to Monark, Diva & Imposcar as my most used virtual instruments.

Return to “Instruments”