Presswerk Public Beta

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fantomatica wrote:I no Big Money ! Please me 45% / 30% discount this plug. I loved company ))
Developers have to eat too you know ?

Spam doesn't taste good ;-)
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

I bought it some days ago and I'm pretty happy with it, only it came without presets. I'm eager to get the finished version with proper professional presets!

I have a request, if possible. HQ mode sounds great but takes much more CPU. It would be nice if the plugin did off-line rendering in HQ mode by default, or maybe with a setting. Otherwise I would have to turn HQ on in every instance before rendering, which would be annoying and easily forgettable.

dorremifasol wrote:.......

I have a request, if possible. HQ mode sounds great but takes much more CPU. It would be nice if the plugin did off-line rendering in HQ mode by default, or maybe with a setting. Otherwise I would have to turn HQ on in every instance before rendering, which would be annoying and easily forgettable.
Huge +1
rsp
sound sculptist

dorremifasol wrote:I bought it some days ago and I'm pretty happy with it, only it came without presets. I'm eager to get the finished version with proper professional presets!
Are the different Views enough of a preset format? Presets on Dynamics and EQ are surely not a good idea?

Cintronic wrote:presets
good idea?
most pleasurable utterly effortless instantificated gratification :hyper: :party:

all the best (presets excluded)...

Just a heads up:

There'll be a new beta in a few days. I'm sure some people will be surprised because we have removed the "vintage views". This happened for a good reason. First off, Presswerk does not emulate the units those views were reminiscent of. They were supposed to depict typical use cases for a compressor, but that didn't work so well. Secondly, we can do much better than that!

We figured that instead of doing "semantics" (works a bit like this or that compressor) we should do "pragmatics" (use this way for that material, use like this for that purpose).

So we start fresh, with a greatly enhanced user interface for the "full view", with lots of feedback taken into account and with the goal to make this a great compressor per se - before we add alternative views. Who knows, we might even get some famous engineers to mould their favourite workflow into such an alternative view (as a free upgrade, needless to say).

What do you think?

- Urs

P.S.: Almost forgot to say, projects/presets done with alternative views will load just fine!

Much better idea Urs !

Can't wait to see that !

Go for it !!!

I think the initial confusion was that the "vintage views" were somehow different and did not bear any relationship to the main page. I think its neater to have everything in front of you.

I actually use the main page view all the time.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Urs wrote:What do you think?
But... but... what about the instant gratification of accessing the 1176 view and all settings are made for me already, so I only need to merely tweak them?

I'm lazy, I don't know how to recreate a 1176 or LA2A with the normal view (actually, it's bugged out with 2999 in Cubase, apparently not in VST Plugin Analyser?). I'd be lost!

[/exaggeration]

On a serious note... I really loved the "view modes". It's dead simple to use. I don't know where it didn't work out, but I'd love to see that feature kept. Especially considering that the two usual suspects by UREI have adaptive thresholds depending on the ratio (1176) and the used mode (limiter vs compressor, LA2A).

It's IMO a selling point - if the interaction with the "normal view" works.
And if it could have been enhanced with a handful of buttons (slightly advanced features), even better IMO.

Else, I currently feel a bit overrun with the normal GUI to be honest, more than with SATIN. At least on first looks. Don't get me wrong - I can walk myself through it, and then it's fairly easy to understand (simpler than other technical comps - again, DC8C-2 comes to mind). Maybe it's because I'm using compressors more than tape machines. I really don't know. I am just like "okay... basic settings are down - now how can I re-create X-compressor". I really blame it on the view mode now.

This is what the initial concept (or at least the one with beta 2999) made it so great for the non-skilled or not-so-skilled engineers (producers, preset jockeys, etc). The simplified GUIs.

Something that makes DC8C-2 (Klanghelm) so great as well - it can be highly technical and to some confusing, or simple and absolutely powerful. Though I do get where you aim at - you don't want to be branded with PRESSWERK as offering "another clone machine". That plugin needs to walk on it's on in order to be successive.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Enthusiastically awaiting the next beta. That's quite a big change

I haven't really touched the vintage view panels much though

I think that presets that emulate those compressors will be good enough as start points

Rah wrote:enthusiastically awaiting the next beta
have not really touched the vintage view panels
presets that emulate those compressors will be good enough
:hyper: :tu: :party: :hug: :tu: :hyper:

Rah wrote:I think that presets that emulate those compressors will be good enough as start points
Agreed.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Compyfox wrote:This is what the initial concept (or at least the one with beta 2999) made it so great for the non-skilled or not-so-skilled engineers (producers, preset jockeys, etc). The simplified GUIs.
Well, also pretty much most of the complaints were about them, even more so than the phase rotation button being labelled "analog". Both things obviously required a change.

As I said, we will add "simplified UIs" at some point, but they won't depict vintage units.

Good move, and thanks for renaming the phase rotation function! :tu:

Compy, try my vintage emulation presets for the LA2A and 1176, I basically started from switching from the simple views to have the settings and tweaking from there adapting to some of the best emulations on the market.

Also, it seems that my presets turned out a bit more accurate (to what emulations I tried against) than the simple views were, (not bragging, just an info) so don't be lazy anymore! :P

Return to “u-he”