iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

Sampleconstruct wrote:
werp wrote:Tone 2 has done the same thing with ElectraX and Electra 2.
ElectraX patches are fully compatible with Electra 2, this is totally not the case here.
I don't think you're going to lose Simon. You can sell soundsets for Iris 2 as well as for the original Iris should you choose to.
I bought your soundsets for Iris, maybe I'll buy soundsets for Iris 2....
Just treat it as a separate synth. what's the big deal?
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
werp wrote:Tone 2 has done the same thing with ElectraX and Electra 2.
ElectraX patches are fully compatible with Electra 2, this is totally not the case here.
I don't think you're going to lose Simon. You can sell soundsets for Iris 2 as well as for the original Iris should you choose to.
I bought your soundsets for Iris, maybe I'll buy soundsets for Iris 2....
Just treat it as a separate synth. what's the big deal?
I'm fine, just very bewildered, that's all. I'll sort something out for my future with Iris. For some a deal is big, for others small, for others non-existent.

Caine123 wrote:i can only warn people getting this, yes it is a nice vst and i somehow love it but unlike u-he, alchemy etc. their support lacks, it's not such a nice and communicative way like the others i mentioned. and this synth totally lacks the granular synthesis + time stretch function + the UPGRADE price is a joke + the new functions!

izotope makes new interfaces and new modulations, wow. then 100 bucks for upgrade? lol
agreed

Not impressed, in the same boat as Sampleconstruct.
One thing that seems so obvious that doesn't seem to be in the update is basic EQ for each sample. Sure the RX filter that you draw on the sample is an EQ of sorts, but doing things like boosting bass, or adjusting EQ between samples after you've drawn madness all over them is a PITA compared to the simple, yet seemingly not in the update addition of basic EQ per Sample layer.

or a 'regular' filter per layer
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

After giving it some more thought, I don't plan to upgrade.

As an owner of Iris 1 already, along with all 8 sound banks the v2 update does not represent enough value for money for me.

I have already purchased all the original sound banks. So it would only be 3GB of new sounds for $99 for me.
I also don't think that there are enough actual IMPROVEMENTS to warrant it.

PLUS, now I would have the additional hassle of having to launch BOTH versions in order to use the older 3rd party content and newer Iris sounds together.

3rd party libraries I have from:

Audiothing
Homegrown Sounds
Luftrum
matteogk
Patchpool (2.5 years worth of subscription sounds there)
+ my own stuff

So yeah... meh... not interested... not buying.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

(I'll spare you the pics.......)

titanic, edsel, izotope. Seriously strange and completely disengaged from the user base.

Perhaps this is crazy but true but as the saying goes, no news is bad news from a business perspective..

Owners of version 1 will be able to sell in a few months at a premium to buyers that are interested in getting access to the golden oldies the classic libraries of yesteryear...

Isotope gets more noticed as bad guys seem cool in some strange way, heh they are interested in the bottom line, yeah, nice guys finish last...some potential customers will think " I don't have Iris now because it was missing features and lacked pizzaz, now it's more of more, and I get the huge library, I'm in."

Sound designers that haven't made anything for Iris v1 can make a name for themselves as there will be fewer Iris 2 libraries to compete with..

Original Library sound designers get sympathy votes and perhaps sell more libraries in the short run. In the long run willing owners of both Iris 1 and 2 will whittle a way at converting the old libraries, and wanting to do some good in the virtual reality community make the new patches available for free to other library owners..

One down side I can see is that iZotope should have made more improvements to the core functionallity...
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

They are listening to there users, just not the majority of them it seems. In the video posted recently dude mentioned its tailored more for the people too busy to create presets due to deadlines etc. Odd to say for such a synth since its more of a 'geek' tool to begin with. Same line of thought with the ozone update it seems.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:They are listening to there users, just not the majority of them it seems. In the video posted recently dude mentioned its tailored more for the people too busy to create presets due to deadlines etc. Odd to say for such a synth since its more of a 'geek' tool to begin with. Same line of thought with the ozone update it seems.
I've just watched the video and that struck me too.

The inclusion of standard synth waveforms combined with a listen through the sample presets leads towards the conclusion that rather than the great drone/soundscape/pad and percussion generator that I used Iris 1 as, Izotope are trying to make Iris 2 into a more all round synth to compete with the subtractives out there, which is surely a poor decision and directed at the wrong market altogether.

Some good points here. Most of them I don't care. Still I ditch the upgrade. What would really make me buy Iris2 is if the tools would snap to musical grids (frequency and time) and if the tool sizes would be changeable to "beat" sizes. That's what I missed the most.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

how does frequency and time relate to the 'grid' of selecting fundamentals and harmonics?

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:They are listening to there users, just not the majority of them it seems. In the video posted recently dude mentioned its tailored more for the people too busy to create presets due to deadlines etc. Odd to say for such a synth since its more of a 'geek' tool to begin with. Same line of thought with the ozone update it seems.
Exactly!

That's what I meant when I said they seem much more like a big corporation now than a bunch of cool dudes doing cool and innovative stuff. They've really lost something in the past few years.. catering to the masses and dumbing down everything and milking existing customers with updates that contain things they should have fixed in the first place.

Normally I wouldn't even bother to comment but some of their tools are invaluable to me (mainly RX advanced) so it's really sad and frustrating to see this company get so detached.

Iris was also very high up on my "to purchase" list. :(
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: it's really sad and frustrating to see this company get so detached.
Ya, they really do seem to be losing the plot, don't they? :nutter:

mysticvibes wrote:how does frequency and time relate to the 'grid' of selecting fundamentals and harmonics?
I don't know, but since you know the length of the sample and the BPM, you should be able to calculate a grid. And when you know which note is which frequency you can also calculate a grid. Lay that grid (how I have no clue) upon the graphics/waveform where the tools snap to.

For instance this way I could use a tool to select A2 every quarter.

I think that should be possible.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Return to “Instruments”