Max 7.0 is out

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:Okay, following up from that, if I try creating a new Max Audio Effect under Max7, then at the Save stage it refuses, insisting that it requires Max7 to be authorised.
Its just occurred to me that I was running this in the unauthorised, save-disabled, not-even-a-demo mode. Will enable the proper demo and retry.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Too bad Max is not a VST and a VSTi. :(
(Yes I know it can host VST's and VSTi's)

Would be great if there was a:
Max for Cubase
Max for Reaper
Max for Studio One ...

whyterabbyt wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Okay, following up from that, if I try creating a new Max Audio Effect under Max7, then at the Save stage it refuses, insisting that it requires Max7 to be authorised.
Its just occurred to me that I was running this in the unauthorised, save-disabled, not-even-a-demo mode. Will enable the proper demo and retry.
It would appear that a fully enabled/authorised version of Max7 works fine in Live9. However the Ableton M4L license is not sufficient to authorise Max7.
Casting my mind back, this was the same with Live8 when Max6 came out.

One slightly annoying thing I noticed; C74 give all their pricing in dollars, and seem to forget to mention they charge VAT right up until the payment stage.

After reading the previews I was going to wait to upgrade, because I really only scratch the surface of max, but after trying it out I have to say that the easy VST hosting and direct m4L integration drastically improve the scope of max7 for 'everyday' audio applications.

I've always been somewhat frustrated by how cumbersome it is in max6 to just run some audio through a few things as you can in Bidule or Audiomulch, but max7 is almost as accessible as Audiomulch on that level now (and probably more so than Bidule), while retaining all its depth under the hood. I got max6 to challenge myself, but now I can even actually just sit down and make music. :D

wasi wrote:After reading the previews I was going to wait to upgrade, because I really only scratch the surface of max, but after trying it out I have to say that the easy VST hosting and direct m4L integration drastically improve the scope of max7 for 'everyday' audio applications.

I've always been somewhat frustrated by how cumbersome it is in max6 to just run some audio through a few things as you can in Bidule or Audiomulch, but max7 is almost as accessible as Audiomulch on that level now (and probably more so than Bidule), while retaining all its depth under the hood. I got max6 to challenge myself, but now I can even actually just sit down and make music. :D
The vst~ host object has been in Max for several versions (since at least v4) AFAIK,is there something that's changed about it? I think I'd still give Bidule a big edge on automation handling, but I need to dig into Max a little more.
I agree that being able to throw M4L objects into a patch is great though.

I hadn't notice this before in the Max FAQ, but is interesting
Ableton Live 9: Max 7 is compatible with Live 9 , and you can use Max 7 as the Max for Live editor if you are a Max 7 license holder. (Learn about crossgrading to a Max 7 license.) Full support for Max 7 as the Max for Live editor will be included in a future Live release.
my emphasis... but I'm assuming this means all Max7 features (including new M4L devices) will be available, in the next version of Live.
Im wondering Live 10 suite? perhaps this way Cycling get a slice of the Live9->Live10 upgrade fee?

I think it's great that they are offering a subscription model whilst, unlike Adobe, still allowing full purchases / upgrades.

whyterabbyt wrote:
wasi wrote:After reading the previews I was going to wait to upgrade, because I really only scratch the surface of max, but after trying it out I have to say that the easy VST hosting and direct m4L integration drastically improve the scope of max7 for 'everyday' audio applications.

The vst~ host object has been in Max for several versions (since at least v4) AFAIK,is there something that's changed about it?
Well, it's dark grey now. :D

Seriously though, I really mean from a pure usability standpoint. Having a VST browser where I can click on a plugin and max just creates a vst~ object with that plugin for me is much smoother than the previous max6 way, which requires a lot more typing and clicking. The whole patch 'canvas' is a lot less overwhelming for new users now IMO and generally a lot more inviting for things that you'd otherwise do with Bidule or Audiomulch.

wasi wrote: Having a VST browser where I can click on a plugin and max just creates a vst~ object .
Ah! :idea: Now I see what you mean. I'd completely missed the fact that you could use that for regular plugins, justa ssumed it was for M4L devices since that's all it initially shows. NOw that Ive added my plugin path to Max7 (grrr, why dont they prompt you to do this, eh?) I see what you mean, and yes, that is a big improvement. Cheers!

Impressed. VST is much easier than 6 and generally having demoed every version of Max since Max4 this is the one that could get me onboard. I'm an Audiomulch user but the development is sooo slow that it's becoming a little frustrating. AM has so much going for it in terms of the incredible timeline and automation mind you. I'm not sure Max has a timeline yet…but being able to import all of those M4L sequencers might get some way towards.

And the $10 a month subscription thing is great.

Genuinely exciting version.

Just got max 7 about a week ago. Very happy with it and been eyeballing it for years. Already had max4live because of Ableton live suite but the standalone is awesome for building/prototyping visual-audio apps. The community is also very helpful/insighful. Plenty of patches/vids going around to get anybody started. Well worth the crossgrade price for me.

Also an audiomulch user since day one but I'm not dropping it for sure. AM is still great for my needs in general! Very easy to do something quick and I use it on a daily basis. Updates are really slow though. Ross will come around for sure. It's definitely his personal project.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”