Upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need to upgrade my iMac for use with Logic X from Lion to either Mavericks or Yosemite. My instinct is to choose Mavericks as I suspect there are still some issues with Yosemite. Is this sound reasoning?

Any one who uses Logic X with these OS's care to share their experiences?
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Avoid Yosemite, all Steinberg products are not compatible yet.

Thanks Simon

I'll get a move on with installing Mavericks this weekend then, buy Logic X in a week, and start a subscription on Groove 3 for learning the beast..

Btw I notice the Stutter Edit doesn't work in Logic X 10.07

TwoToneshuzz wrote:Btw I notice the Stutter Edit doesn't work in Logic X 10.07
Really? Haven't opened that beast in ages, I'll also check later.

If Logic X is compatible with Yosemite then Yosemite .I recently stepped up to Yosemite and after a few teething problems everything is working fine.Its the new black.:-)
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Installed Yosemite on a 2011 Mac Book Pro which I mostly used for work related stuff, but has most of my hosts and plugins installed. So far I've not run in to many problems, now that the 10.10.1 update has been released to fix the WiFi bug.

A few plugins required updating (e.g. Redline Reverb).

M-Audio Firewire 1814 audio is working, but the control panel doesn't. Make sure your sound card drivers are supported for 10.9 / 10.10.

Haven't noticed any performance related problems.

Laptops post 10.8 do appear to have a problem with batteries, reporting a "Service Battery" error and reduced capacity or just less time available when unplugged from mains.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Using Logic X with Yosemite here. No problems :wink:

I'm unable to download a full Mavericks installer from anywhere today, so I'm going to install Yosemite on a seperate disk for now..

Too bad these processes always take ages, waiting for 5 Gb download from apple server, I tied up my computer for 4 or 5 hours to day doing a backup system drive...

I guess logic X will be taking a while to download and install, then all my drivers and plugs will need to be updated, so I guess in a weeks time I should have things running..

I can read some books or play old Ludwig Van on the pianeo

Playing the piano sounds like a good plan, who needs computers anyway.

Okay I'm on Yosemite using a iMac mid 2011 i5 3.1 Ghz 12 Gb ram I've setup a project in my Host Numerology Pro 4. James Coker

I've checked so far just playing and loading sounds from my external SSD and external System firewire 800 harddisk

AAS: String Studio V2, Lounge Lizard EP 4, Ultra Analog 2, and Chromaphone OK

Dmitri Sches: Diversion 1.3.3 OK

Camel Audio: Alchemy v 1.55 OK

MOTU : Mach V 3.2 OK

Steinberg: Halion 5 1.0.0.87 OK

Steinberg: Padshop Pro 1.1.0.134 OK

iZotope: Iris v1 OK

Uhe: Diva Filterscape VA, ACE OK

2C audio: B2 OK

I've got an amazing set of tools filled with amazing sounds, it all seems to work fine on Yosemite..

Every logic user I know except one hates X and is still using 9.

Most everyone I know that was forced to change (for various reasons) from Snow Leopard to anything since regretted it too (myself included!)

I don't wan't to dissuade you if you need to migrate for a good reason but I would definitely consider running a dual boot if you are able to. The you have the option to make the transition from your existing OS and Logic gradually and when your 100% sure that you won't run into problems ;)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

I'm extremely slow to upgrade my computer and hosts, but now I just feel it's time to take the plunge. I keep a working system with the older plugs and older hosts at the ready to fall back on. But I feel now it's just to move on as older hardware becomes more rare, speed increases that allow more plug ins to be run, new plugs that are interesting that only run on newer hardware and so on..

But I can see for some applications keeping it simple and reductionist has it's charms for sure..

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”