iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

Since I don't own any of the iZotope addon packs, I decided to go with the upgrade. 11GB of Sample data, plus the improvements (maybe not the obvious ones we were expecting but none the less, improvements) and the fair upgrade price from AudioDeluxe swung my decision.

I will still have acces to IRIS 1 and have not invested in any 3rd Party Libraries, so I'm not bothered about backward compatibility. I'm only interested in the product (IRIS2) as it stands.

EUR70+ a few quid is not too bad at all considering.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

so is distortion still present there in iris 2? i struggle getting distortion a lot with iris 1!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Aloysius wrote:Since I don't own any of the iZotope addon packs, I decided to go with the upgrade. 11GB of Sample data, plus the improvements (maybe not the obvious ones we were expecting but none the less, improvements) and the fair upgrade price from AudioDeluxe swung my decision.

I will still have acces to IRIS 1 and have not invested in any 3rd Party Libraries, so I'm not bothered about backward compatibility. I'm only interested in the product (IRIS2) as it stands.

EUR70+ a few quid is not too bad at all considering.
Plan it for another 2.5 years investment only...
You may only plan to use factory patches, remember.
Then, good luck with Iris 3.

Just had a chance to look at their promo video - gosh they really are trying to sell it to the dubsteppers and people who would buy things like Massive (even making a similar modulation system). I notice in the demo presets there are no atmospheres or textures.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/eff ... ents/iris/

I did wonder at first if it was my display but the video confirms to me what I was saying about the gui - even at the highest res many of the controls seem to have irregular outlines, almost like drawn with crayon, and as for the comic sans font what were they thinking?
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caine123 wrote:so is distortion still present there in iris 2? i struggle getting distortion a lot with iris 1!
Just turn the oscillator volumes down before they hit the filter, some filters react sensible to Input gain, others don't, or which distortion are you on about?
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:And some modulation combinations are simply not possible in v2, so the "advanced modulation system" is in fact less advanced in some respects. E.g. I had the Modhweel assigned to the volume of Osc2 in v1, also a temposynced LFO was assigned to volume in Osc2 via Macro 4, turning the wheel up brought in Osc2, turning Macro 4 up added synced amplitude modulation on top of that. With the wheel up and M4 down Osc2 was inaudible, as it should be.

Now with the wheel down and the Macro up I still hear Osc2 being modulated by the LFO, no matter which combination settings I choose in the Combine (Mod 1-2) menue and which depth settings I choose in the LFO assignment, as LFOs are only bipolar there is no workaround, but maybe I'll find a workaround...
And yes, the workaround is to not assign the wheel to osc volume but an emevelope with sustain set to 0, then assign the Modwheel to the envelope sustain level and the desired result can be achieved.

That's amazingly advanced, bravo iZotope, why keep things easy when you can complicate them.

EDIT: shit, it still doesn't work as expected, so the LFO modulation even overwrites the sustain level of the envelope, that must be a bug.
EDIT: ahh, now it works with the Modulation combo set to multiply.
EDIT: but it still sounds wrong, nothing like in v1, it's simply not possible to recreate that combination it seems.
EDIT: I finally found a way to recreate that routing, assign the wheel and the Macro to LFO depth and set Modulation combo to Min, now it sounds the same as in V1, but that took 6 assignments to substitute 2 assignments in v1. That's not advanced!
Altogether it took about 90 minutes to recreate this patch - LOLOLOLOLZ, of course now I know a bit more about the workarounds so next time it would probably take less than 30 minutes.

Only another 200 hours to go then ...

lnikj wrote:Only another 200 hours to go then ...
Forget it :)

matteogk wrote:Plan it for another 2.5 years investment only...
You may only plan to use factory patches, remember.
Then, good luck with Iris 3.
I am unable to see into the future, so I have to base my decisions on what is in front of me. I'm planning on right now investment. ;)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Well... I have also been in dialogue with the iZotope product manager - received a free license of Iris 2 on the day of release, nice! :wink:

I too, pointed out the preset compatibility issue to their product manager and also named Simon in my email too and nothing in the response I received from Brad had the touch of a template answer, in fact quite opposite - it seems like they are hearing us and working to resolve the preset issue and hopefully they will: "The complexity of the spectral processing plus the new modulation system is making this incredibly difficult, but we're working through the weekend to try and find some solutions for designers like you and Simon, and of course all the users who have designed many sounds themselves..." - that's an accepted answer! And while the best solution would have been backwards (or forward) compatibility then just use Iris 1 as it is, with Iris 2 as a new installation.

It's not that difficult, just two different independent products.

Over and out... :)
Luftrum
Sound Designer
Lunaris 2 - the premier pads instrument for NI Kontakt Player - pads and pads only...

Luftrum wrote:Well... I have also been in dialogue with the iZotope product manager - received a free license of Iris 2 on the day of release, nice! :wink:

I too, pointed out the preset compatibility issue to their product manager and also named Simon in my email too and nothing in the response I received from Brad had the touch of a template answer, in fact quite opposite - it seems like they are hearing us and working to resolve the preset issue and hopefully they will: "The complexity of the spectral processing plus the new modulation system is making this incredibly difficult, but we're working through the weekend to try and find some solutions for designers like you and Simon, and of course all the users who have designed many sounds themselves..." - that's an accepted answer! And while the best solution would have been backwards (or forward) compatibility then just use Iris 1 as it is, with Iris 2 as a new installation.

i respect your work on presets etc. but i dont think you are really neutral here.... just think about the UPGRADE price alone and talk again, thanks!
i wouldnt be so pissed if they wouldnt be so money hungry and really would care for their users. u can already see their behaviour with their marketing. everyone who doesnt see it is maybe also an iphone year to year supporter lol.

2 different products one name? lol, kidding me...
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Luftrum wrote:Well... I have also been in dialogue with the iZotope product manager - received a free license of Iris 2 on the day of release, nice! :wink:

That's all very interesting but it leaves you wondering

(a) did they not think about this before releasing it
(b) how long Iris 1 will continue to work (OS X updates etc)

I would like to see them commit to minimally maintaining Iris 1 if they are unable to solve the problem.

aMUSEd wrote:I did wonder at first if it was my display but the video confirms to me what I was saying about the gui - even at the highest res many of the controls seem to have irregular outlines, almost like drawn with crayon, and as for the comic sans font what were they thinking?
Same here. The UI scales, but it's jagged and irregular as heck. Gonna be fixed in v3? :scared: :D

Not buying anyway though, as it's still pretty much Iris 1 as far as I can tell. If anything it confirms that they really don't want to do anything with their spectral resynthesis engine other than a filter mask and I'm not paying $300 or $200 for that any more than I was willing to pay $250. (I can crush 11 gigs of my own fruit at 24bits thank you.)

Hi Luftrum, very nice to hear something positive from you.
These could be good news...

I only say that v1 will be outdated, sooner or later, like any other discontinued product, so if they really give us a tool to import old patches...
We'll see what really comes out of their hat, BUT will this happen BEFORE upgrade price goes up to $149?...
Last edited by matteogk on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Finding some solutions" sure sounds better than "might need to be reassigned."

Return to “Instruments”