What do you hate about Studio One? What is missing?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm totally satisfied S1 isn't shipped with a lot of bloat I mostly wouldn't use anyway (talking about sounds here). I love it slim and I love installing the stuff I really need. IMHO the effects of S1 are really solid although I have other products covering that. I don't regret expanding my arsenal with S1. Perfect for my band recording. :)

Just one more note - I don't want MORE, actually wouldn't mind to be even less, but BETTER. And yes, optional download makes perfect sense, so people like me will download, while many other user will not necessarily want that.
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

24MTS wrote:Just one more note - I don't want MORE, actually wouldn't mind to be even less, but BETTER. And yes, optional download makes perfect sense, so people like me will download, while many other user will not necessarily want that.
So much fuss over sound sets...why? The problem with ANY sound set ,be it factory or 3rd party , is that everybody has the same sounds !! If you have to spend time mangling them to make them your own why not create your own sound sets. Personally I don't often use sounds supplied by the DAW developer and would never buy a sound set, even if I had the funds. Occasionally I download free sets, but they sit on my drive taking up space. Ever so often I hear a clip that I like as a hook, but I still can't shake the idea that someone will listen and say "I know the sound set that came from". Just me.

hibidy wrote:It's not that we don't listen, it's that we DON'T AGREE :D
I don't understand what you mean. :shrug: You don't agree that bundled instruments are free?

When people say you "pay for stuff you don't need" it's pure propaganda. You pay for the host, bundled instruments are free. We know this because standard daw prices never go up when they get more or better instruments. Cubase isn't $500 because it has nice instruments, it's $500 because it's Cubase.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

24MTS wrote:Or maybe I should also say this: if Presonus will not add better sounds to S1 3, at least to remove the VSTi restriction from Artist! :) Fair? Fair.
Maybe. :shrug: If they did like other tiered products you'd gain VSTi's and lose audio bend and some other stuff in the "bundled version" Artist. Is that better? To have 3rd party plug support and fewer features?

Their tiered feature division is just different from most. Artist has everything else pro has editing wise for the song page. For recording and editing there is no difference at all except for some missing stock plugins (and vst and rewire support). It's arguably the most drama inducing lowest tiered daw ever. Now go buy any hardware, get a bundled lowest level version of Sonar or Cubase or Live in the box, and see if it has - all - of the editing and automation features of their flagship version + unlimited tracks and folder tracks and all the rest of it.

We do want it all don't we? :lol:

LawrenceF wrote:
We do want it all don't we? :lol:
Well, yeah!
:)

Anyhow, the topic being about "what is missing" not about "what would be possible, or fair or even admissible" I said it. A better, usable sound set (particularly acoustic) is missing. And about the features and functions of Artist being almost identical with the top versions, I said it before and say it again: it is indeed a very considerate decision of Presonus and I, as a user, I appreciate this very much!

Now, if I only could go, fire up Artist and play and record some good sounding instruments...
8)
------------

24MTS wrote: Now, if I only could go, fire up Artist and play and record some good sounding instruments...
8)
But you are limiting yourself with the Artist edition because there is no VST support, so the target audience is mostly musicians with instruments/mics who is looking for a nice simple DAW to record their audio.

It is better to either upgrade to the Producer edition or switch to another host if you want more choices.

its not really advertised and im not sure they want this, but the fact that studio one artist can use the full versions of Kontakt, Reaktor, and Guitar Rig is incredible
especially when I got S1 artist for $5 :D

Wasn't that "fixed" a while ago?
------------

nope.
previously renaming -any- vst to look like NI ones might have been fixed (since it appears to now do a deep scan), but since s1a now comes with komplete elements, replacing the 'player' versions with full ones still seems to work.
(edit_ just those 3 though)

EnGee wrote:But you are limiting yourself with the Artist edition because there is no VST support, so the target audience is mostly musicians with instruments/mics who is looking for a nice simple DAW to record their audio.
The only real limits in Artist for acoustic musicians are a good reverb and (if you use outboard) the Pipeline plugin for making all that routing much easier. Other than that, not much. Of course the electronic musician is a very different animal.
It is better to either upgrade to the Producer edition or switch to another host if you want more choices.
Yep. $99, or cheaper on sale. I never did understand the griping about Artist. They are primarily a hardware company... which is why anyone starting out has an incentive to buy one of their USB devices and get Artist for free, and spend another $99 for Producer, or catch one of the hardware sales where the upgrade to Producer is included for free.

They are primarily in the business of selling hardware after all. :shrug: Only two other companies who make audio workstations are (themselves, not their parent company) fully vested in the hardware business as what is most certainly where the majority of their income comes from, Avid and MOTU.

Anyway, there's like a relative shitload of nice & very functional workstations on the market so why anyone stresses over S1 Artist not allowing 3rd party plugins is beyond me. :shrug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”