What do you use for Analog, Digital and in between?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:That synth seldom gets mentioned, the entire brand actually. TAL should do an emulation of the 110F :D
I used to have an 110F still hate myself for getting rid of it :dog:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

bluedad wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:
But I don't look at it as I need an analog sound or a digital sound. I just make sounds.
That's my approach, too.
Thanks for stating it so succinctly.
+1

crimsonwarlock wrote:
bluedad wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:
But I don't look at it as I need an analog sound or a digital sound. I just make sounds.
That's my approach, too.
Not my approach, as I explained earlier here. When I need a certain sound I do think analog-ish or digital-ish, and decide what synth to use based on that..... but they are all software :D
Mostly I do the same. I pick the synth depending on what kind of sound I need. If not, then just one synth is really enough (which it is for some but not for others). I mean what's the point of having more than one synth if you can get any sound of them equally?

EnGee wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote:
bluedad wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:
That's my approach, too.
Not my approach, as I explained earlier here. When I need a certain sound I do think analog-ish or digital-ish, and decide what synth to use based on that..... but they are all software :D
Mostly I do the same. I pick the synth depending on what kind of sound I need. If not, then just one synth is really enough (which it is for some but not for others). I mean what's the point of having more than one synth if you can get any sound of them equally?
Indeed, different synths do different sounds. Although there is the bread-and-butter sound palette that is pretty much covered with synths like Synth1. That's why I like to have one big synth that does that (for that IS Synth1) and then a few who make nice additions as they can do the more exotic types of sounds.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote:Indeed, different synths do different sounds. Although there is the bread-and-butter sound palette that is pretty much covered with synths like Synth1. That's why I like to have one big synth that does that (for that IS Synth1) and then a few who make nice additions as they can do the more exotic types of sounds.
Actually, to me, it works exactly the opposite way. If you take a common bread and butter sound like *analog brass stabs *, it will sound different in every *good* synth. :shrug: So that there's no such synth that allow someone to be covered for the whole spectrum of b'nb sounds. Or actually, to be more precise, some synths cover a part of them with different characters that will show A LOT in a mix. Thats why I like having several synths that cover what will maybe sound similar to some people, but are actually different. ymmv
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Analog : Synthsquad
Digital : Zebra 2
In between : Reaktor
:borg:

Massive.

Analouge
DIVA covers a few analogues
ACE

Digital
Bazille
Zebra

Bit of Both
ZEBRA or Z3TA filters replaced with Cytomic The Drop
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Analog: Elektron Analog 4

Digital: I stay away from digital. Not a fan.

In between: lush 101

I recently posted a full list of what I use on my Synthesizers.Audio website. CLICK HERE for full list.

From that list:

Roland
System 100 analog synth/step sequencer
System 700 custom modded analog step sequencer
Juno 6 custom modded analog synth
Juno 106 analog synth
JX-3P analog synth with PG200 programmer and Inque MIDI mod
SH-09 custom modded analog synthesizer
V-Drums TD20 expanded / TD12 custom drum kit with V Expressions packs

Yamaha
SY77 custom modded digital AFM/AWM workstation synth
DX7 Mk1 custom modded digital FM synth
TX802 digital FM synth
KX-8 88 note weighted MIDI keyboard
DGX-630 digital grand piano (mainly used for rehearsal and composing)
NP-31 Piano (as MIDI controller)
YTR2320s trumpet
GC1 baby grand piano

u-he
Diva VSTi synth
Bazille VSTi modular synth
Zebra2 VSTi modular synth
The Dark Zebra/ZebraHZ VSTi modular synth

Full Bucket Music & CrimsonWarlock AKA TechnoGremlin
Ragnarok VSTi performance/lead synth

Interruptor
Night Flight VSTi string synth

Hammond
2 x 9922K organs / Leslie speakers

Kirkman
Antique (180 years old) upright piano

Native Instruments
Kontakt 5 VSTi sampler
Reaktor 5 VSTi synth

Toontrack
Superior Drummer 2 VSTi (used with Roland V-Drums)
Custom and Vintage drum expansion

SuperWave
Tiny Pops – Korg Minipops VSTi drum emulator

Propellerheads
Rebirth RB-338 V2.01

Frostwave
Quad MIDI-CV converter

for analogue synths I use the hardware, a couple of Roland monosynths, a modular and an Oberheim Matrix 1000. I've stopped using virtual analogue VSTs because I can get most of the analogue sounds I want from those.

Other analgue sounds I have as samples - string machines, pianos, mellotrons etc.

Digital I have a Virus B and then I use a bunch of softsynths, some are emulations of hardware, e.g Wavestation, PPG Wave, FM8 - but most are there own thing, Alchemy, the new PPG things, Native Instruments.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Tassman and Reaktor are also amazing at being able to do both analog and digital well. You can just build whatever with these modulars.
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

Return to “Instruments”