Slate says Monday for VMR

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Slate have a fix for AMD CPUs finished they have a select few testing it.

Haah, i really hate myself. I can't really afford VMR right now but i've been playing with the demo this last couple of days and i'm liking it so much. I like how easy it is to tweak the EQ and everything sounds good.

I've also been demoing the IK stuff along side this one, but i don't get the same vibe with it. Plus, the cpu usage is much higher.
musisikamar.com

xamido wrote:Haah, i really hate myself. I can't really afford VMR right now but i've been playing with the demo this last couple of days and i'm liking it so much. I like how easy it is to tweak the EQ and everything sounds good.

I've also been demoing the IK stuff along side this one, but i don't get the same vibe with it. Plus, the cpu usage is much higher.
Thats what i have noticed too. I decided to buy VMR instead of IK stuff (group buy) even it's cheaper it don't make any sense anymore.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

db3 wrote:
antithesist wrote:Can someone who has actually bought VMR confirm that there are two ilok activations?
Thanks!
While I'm not using 2 activations, my iLok manager shows 1 of 2 used.
Good, I asked a couple times on GS with no answer (the new products thread is about as fast-moving as I've seen).

I figured it had two like our VBC and new aireq, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks, again.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Compyfox wrote:Slate VTM eats with one instance of the NEVE about 5-8% and 174MB RAM - more modules per rack or racks don't matter much.
Oh FFS. If that's true then what they're doing is the same nonsense that IK does with Amplitube... load every version of every plugin available into every instance. And how much you wanna bet that, just like amplitude, future integrated modules will be piled into the singular DLL and consume memory even if you aren't licensed to use them. Maybe that's fine for amp sims, where maybe for a large mix you have 5 or 6 instances, but not for a freaking general purpose channel strip plugin where you might need 30 or 40 or 50 instances. Come on, now, figure out how to load this crap dynamically, or share function pointers across DLL instances, or whatever the hell you have to do -- FIGURE IT OUT.

Can somebody confirm that you're hit with 174MB for each instance? If so, that is a showstopper for me. My main rig has 32GB, but I will not buy MORE broken software architecture beyond what I already have just based on principle alone.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Only played around for about 2 hours but I really like VMR. A lot of character! It brings something to the table that I personally don't have in my current plugin line up. I like both the Neve and SSL EQs as well as the 1176. Haven't spent any time with the 401 red comp. The Revival exciter is a nice bonus also. I was able to get a really nice vocal and acoustic guitar track with VMR. Gonna check out some other sources now.
Last edited by Monkberry on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kbaccki wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Slate VTM eats with one instance of the NEVE about 5-8% and 174MB RAM - more modules per rack or racks don't matter much.
Oh FFS. If that's true then what they're doing is the same nonsense that IK does with Amplitube... load every version of every plugin available into every instance. And how much you wanna bet that, just like amplitude, future integrated modules will be piled into the singular DLL and consume memory even if you aren't licensed to use them. Maybe that's fine for amp sims, where maybe for a large mix you have 5 or 6 instances, but not for a freaking general purpose channel strip plugin where you might need 30 or 40 or 50 instances. Come on, now, figure out how to load this crap dynamically, or share function pointers across DLL instances, or whatever the hell you have to do -- FIGURE IT OUT.

Can somebody confirm that you're hit with 174MB for each instance? If so, that is a showstopper for me. My main rig has 32GB, but I will not buy MORE broken software architecture beyond what I already have just based on principle alone.
Each instance would usually share it's code. The code is only loaded once from a dll AFAIK.

kbaccki wrote:

It uses up to 300 MB when all modules have been loaded one. But each additional module or plugin instance after that does NOT increase memory usage notably anymore. Nicely programmed IMO.

See my post at GS
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10569122-post622.html

Just installed the demo mainly to see how Revival sounds.

With Shimmer set to 6.3 and Thickness set to 3 it sounded great on a mix I'm working on.

However, two things I noticed:

1. There is no way to compensate gain within Revival or the VMR rack so objective A/Bing is impossible.

2. I got almost an identical effect from a 2dB boost with Equilibriums first order high shelf at 9000hz and a DMG low shelf boosting half a dB or so at 130hz.

I guess I'll test it out on a few more sources before making any long term judgements. It's so easy to overdo exciter style treatments and A/Bing is the only way to check you're not overcooking things and genuinely making an improvement.

I'm not really too interested in the mix plugins as I have already got all the tools I need.

Nice to have a freebie though so musn't grumble!

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

kbaccki wrote:Can somebody confirm that you're hit with 174MB for each instance? If so, that is a showstopper for me. My main rig has 32GB, but I will not buy MORE broken software architecture beyond what I already have just based on principle alone.
Please read my notes again:
Compyfox wrote: NOTE:
The CPU and RAM specs in question are based on my Intel Core i7 920 (Bloomfield) with Windows 7. The rig the the person I sent this mail to is an iMac11,3, fully maxed out, with an i7 870 (Lynnfield). CPU and RAM values tested in VST Plugin Analyser, with the Windows Task Manager opened.
I also assume RAM sharing, as I didn't run into serious issues with running several instances alongside VCC in Cubase 7.5 (both 32bit and 64bit - I only have 6GB RAM). Similar instances of IKM quickly taxed on my i7 920 however.

And yes, this is laid out to be a custom shop system. Which route this is going however, is unclear. But there are FR's to load the plugins individually as well. Think Line6 with PODFarm 2.

djscorb wrote:However, two things I noticed:

1. There is no way to compensate gain within Revival or the VMR rack so objective A/Bing is impossible.
High on a "to be ported" list of FR's.

djscorb wrote:2. I got almost an identical effect from a 2dB boost with Equilibriums first order high shelf at 9000hz and a DMG low shelf boosting half a dB or so at 130hz.
Think more like parallel EQ with added saturation on gain boost.
Either VoS Thrillseeker XTC, TDL SlickEQ (loaded in a parallel matrix) or to a certain extend, even the Clariphonic EQ.

Nothing against DMG Audio, excellent tools, love them.
But you can't compare a surgical EQ (with no added saturation) with a "declared exciter".

djscorb wrote:Nice to have a freebie though so musn't grumble!
Wow, you must be one of the first that is not ticked off by the fact that you NEED iLok2, and this "doesn't work on iLok1 anymore". Half of the comments towards VMR with Revival as freebie that I read on GS, KVR, Youtube (Slate's channel especially), smaller music communities and where have you, was clearly aimed at that... "problem".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I got the iLok for the Sonnox Inflator which is a must have plugin for me :)

Since getting the iLok I've had no issues with it. Also picked up the excellent Phoenix verb, VBC, Soundtoys Little Primal Tap and the Eventide freebie so for the sake of 20 odd quid I'm actually pretty happy with going this route. Certainly happier than with the idea of UAD anyway.

Glad to hear that gain compensation is on the list of FRs. It would probably be more useful to ensure there is input and output gain on each module rather than on the VMR Rack itself but either way it's a very strange decision not to include it from the word go. I mean how hard is it to implement simple gain controls? Would have taken him no time at all really.

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

iLok2? How surprising..
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

I'm REALLY keen on trying this. I think I'll wait until monday though. Many more cool/good/"yeah, I'd use that" stuff than I expected in the yak and viddys. I'm still nervous about using an ilok2 though (even though I bought one) :hihi: :oops: :help:

Oh yeah, has anyone used this with bitwig?

In the end i decided to get it. It's just so good... bye2 150$... nice knowing you. :(

On the other hand, i'm waiting for the serial from audiodeluxe now. I hope on black friday i can use the 20$ voucher.
musisikamar.com

That's one of the reason I want to wait a couple of days to install the demo.....I want to get the best possible price, but also want the demo to run long enough to get the SN :shrug:

Return to “Effects”