iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

swartzfeger wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Getting away from the two main points of grief here (price, and backwards compatibility)....

I have to say, I am happy they've beefed up the 'synthesiser' side a fair bit in terms of its modulation flexibility, and made the modulation system fairly user-friendly. Also rather glad theyve decently raising the polyphony limits for Radias-RT and made the sub a proper 4th oscillator, since it pretty much was anyway.

Kind of disappointed that the spectral tools havent been changed. More disappointed that loop points etc cant be modulated, thats a missed opportunity, IMO.
That's my main issue with Iris 2 -- too much 'synth', not enough updates or improvements to what made iris 1 an exciting prospect. And given Izotope's track record, we're not going to see another update until 2017.

As a whole, thinking on the product development strategy, these comments are most valid when thinking what iZotope could have chosen better when they upgraded Iris for ver. 2. I wish they will concentrate on further development of the Iris unique feature of the sound manipulation and editing, not making just an other synth. More ambition in stead of the safe path - this the only way get the jackpot (note for the investors). H.

To be fair to iZotope, they didn't just break 3rd party patches, they broke all of there own patches, so Iris 2 is now shipped with 8 Gig of content without a single patch- its just a bunch of random, unrelated samples now as far as I am conserned, it may be useful, but it hasn't been linked to Iris 2 in any way!

Just to make it clear to new buyers, of the 11 gig content, iZotope have only bothered with 3 gig of it for the pre-sets....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

@SLiC: You'll be able to buy the presets to those samples soon, don't worry. :ud:
Harry_HH wrote:I wish they will concentrate on further development of the Iris unique feature of the sound manipulation and editing, not making just an other synth. More ambition in stead of the safe path - this the only way get the jackpot (note for the investors). H.
I think it's safe to say now that's not going to happen and to be fair, it's something they never claimed was a goal, it's something we inferred from the spectral display because it seemed so obvious. All they ever talked about though was "sample based synthesiser" and "draw filters". And that they delivered.

Certainly any doubts (or hopes) I might have had with respect to the spectral side have been dispelled now. This is Iris. Brushes, timestretch, blending and all that is not on the menu. It's a sampler with a (rather elaborate) spectral filter.

As for the bottom line, I'm pretty sure it pays better to sell sample packs than work on ground-breaking features.

Argggghhhh, so those two hours invested earlier today into updating some patches were totally lost because I did not use the new "Update" button but used the "Save" button instead as I would normally do. So please all use the "Update" button when you have edited an existing patch and not the "Save" button, otherwise all edits will be lost.

SLiC wrote:To be fair to iZotope, they didn't just break 3rd party patches, they broke all of there own patches, so Iris 2 is now shipped with 8 Gig of content without a single patch- its just a bunch of random, unrelated samples now as far as I am conserned, it may be useful, but it hasn't been linked to Iris 2 in any way!

Just to make it clear to new buyers, of the 11 gig content, iZotope have only bothered with 3 gig of it for the pre-sets....
Maybe they figure the user will, idk, make their own? I like it.

Now iZotope removed all the comments from their facebook page which weren't praising the new Iris. Amazing!

Sampleconstruct wrote:Now iZotope removed all the comments from their facebook page which weren't praising the new Iris. Amazing!
Careful what you say now chaps, in case KVR gets hit with a 'cease and desist'.

LimboLoves wrote:
SLiC wrote:To be fair to iZotope, they didn't just break 3rd party patches, they broke all of there own patches, so Iris 2 is now shipped with 8 Gig of content without a single patch- its just a bunch of random, unrelated samples now as far as I am conserned, it may be useful, but it hasn't been linked to Iris 2 in any way!

Maybe they figure the user will, idk, make their own? I like it.
Yes they have always encouraged this and many of us have made a ton of presets we can't now load into Iris 2. Will they do the same with the next version too?

All the posting are online on facebook, Simon
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:All the posting are online on facebook, Simon
What do you mean, all negative comments have been removed, all warnings from several users about the lack of compatibility are gone, nada, niente.

And someone had posted a link to this thread here (wasn't me), of course that had to go too.

ooh okay sry, misunderstanding ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Maybe we should continue this discussion over at izotopes Facebook page? What's up with them???

wasi wrote:@SLiC: You'll be able to buy the presets to those samples soon, don't worry. :ud:
Harry_HH wrote:I wish they will concentrate on further development of the Iris unique feature of the sound manipulation and editing, not making just an other synth. More ambition in stead of the safe path - this the only way get the jackpot (note for the investors). H.
I think it's safe to say now that's not going to happen and to be fair, it's something they never claimed was a goal, it's something we inferred from the spectral display because it seemed so obvious. All they ever talked about though was "sample based synthesiser" and "draw filters". And that they delivered.

Certainly any doubts (or hopes) I might have had with respect to the spectral side have been dispelled now. This is Iris. Brushes, timestretch, blending and all that is not on the menu. It's a sampler with a (rather elaborate) spectral filter.

As for the bottom line, I'm pretty sure it pays better to sell sample packs than work on ground-breaking features.
Some wise words here I think wasi. You are probably right, though I hope not.

I've just realised that Brad[bot] is the guy in the sonicstate video. When pushed at 23:00, we are told that they are they are "thinking" (23:44) about modulating the spectral selections in the future. Then again, I thought about giving up smoking for about ten years before I actually did it.

The video is full of references to "lots of our users" and "what our users wanted". I presume the NDA has expired now so would anybody care to own up to being one of the users who wanted Iris 2 to be turned into a fancy subtractive synth and were panting for new global filter models and synth wave forms as Brad claims?

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:And some modulation combinations are simply not possible in v2, so the "advanced modulation system" is in fact less advanced in some respects. E.g. I had the Modhweel assigned to the volume of Osc2 in v1, also a temposynced LFO was assigned to volume in Osc2 via Macro 4, turning the wheel up brought in Osc2, turning Macro 4 up added synced amplitude modulation on top of that. With the wheel up and M4 down Osc2 was inaudible, as it should be.

Now with the wheel down and the Macro up I still hear Osc2 being modulated by the LFO, no matter which combination settings I choose in the Combine (Mod 1-2) menue and which depth settings I choose in the LFO assignment, as LFOs are only bipolar there is no workaround, but maybe I'll find a workaround...
And yes, the workaround is to not assign the wheel to osc volume but an emevelope with sustain set to 0, then assign the Modwheel to the envelope sustain level and the desired result can be achieved.

That's amazingly advanced, bravo iZotope, why keep things easy when you can complicate them.

EDIT: shit, it still doesn't work as expected, so the LFO modulation even overwrites the sustain level of the envelope, that must be a bug.
EDIT: ahh, now it works with the Modulation combo set to multiply.
EDIT: but it still sounds wrong, nothing like in v1, it's simply not possible to recreate that combination it seems.
EDIT: I finally found a way to recreate that routing, assign the wheel and the Macro to LFO depth and set Modulation combo to Min, now it sounds the same as in V1, but that took 6 assignments to substitute 2 assignments in v1. That's not advanced!
EDIT: Who stole my strawberries?!
Fixed that for you! :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

MUHALOL :D :party:

Return to “Instruments”