Xils next synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Though I'm not Lotuzia :wink: from what I read in the Xils newletter today I just needed to start another Xils thread:
The experience XILS-lab has gained over years to master simulations and emulations of original analog circuitry will soon bring back to life another legendary Analog Monster. :?:
So after Syn'X (Synthex), PolyKB II (RSF Kobol) and Xils 3/4 (VCS3) what do you think is this legendary Analog Monster. :idea:

Will it be their version of an Oberheim OBx, Memorymoog, or more recent analog Andromeda? A Synton Syrinx maybe but is that really considered a Monster? Korg 3100?

Nice competition for the soon to be released new U-he synth....... :P

No competition, it blows everything away...
It has a dedicated tone control to give you more bass or treble, so you can make monstrous basses or silky shining leads
Analog modeled on off volume knob, it really makes this thing stand out from all other wannabe analog synths and their gain staging BS
Life like analog oscillators with an amazing frequency spectrum display.
On top of that it has a tuning and fine tuning knobs, that's like an icing on the cake
For preset hoes, it has four dedicated buttons right in the f**king middle for easy access.
Nicely done GUI, wood enclosure, it went an extra mile and even modeled a table and walls around it...
It does AM and FM, FM Frequency Response 65306;60Hz~15KHz
For warmth Modeled Vacuum Tube 65306
As an effect it has carefully modeled Speaker Unit Bass Speaker Size 2 x 5.25 8221; Treble Speaker Size 2 x 1 8221; Speaker Rated Power 65306; 8805;20W
Speaker Frequency Response 65306;80Hz 65374;15KHz
Magnetically shielded drivers virtually eliminates the need for iLock2, monitor and TV screen.

Soundbanks for Serum, Bazille, Diva, lush-101, Zebra2, Monark... Here

It's high time that the Con Brio ADS 200 got an emulated, go for it XILS!

Xils wont do a synth that has to clearly compete with someone elses emulation or any of their current creations, they like to stand out in the market (discarding anyhting by the little known smaller developers efforts).

So those popular synths mentioned by the OP arent in the running IMO

Maybe theyll have a go at something digital this time? :ud:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Maybe theyll have a go at something digital this time? :ud:
Not at all likely if their plan is to emu another legendary Analog Monster :D

It will be something obscure again that hardly anyone owns, so nobody will be able to make a comparison :lol:

"Analog monster".

I'll believe it when I hear it

Must be the Telharmonium Mark3, then.
Cabt get nore monster than 200 tons ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telharmonium

Theres no Buchla emus,
except a couple of Reaktor efforts and perhaps Aalto

:hyper:

But owners dont really use them to make pretty tunes, so maybe not

:(

One of the synths being discussed several times that NEVER got an emulation, and classify as a "legendary Analog Monster" is the Matrix-12. Maybe this is the time :)
Fernando (FMR)

If I analyze a bit the history of Xils-Lab emulations...
  • XILS3/4 : EMS VCS 3 (Synthi AKS)
  • Syn'X : Elka Synthex
  • PolyKB II : RSF PolyKobol
There is a huge common point between these three synths!

Jean-Michel Jarre!

Conclusion: if I had to bet for the next synth, I would look among the legendary synths used by Jean-Michel Jarre. Then among these synths, which one is the biggest, a real MONSTER in weight as well as in sounds?

I would say... the Eminent 310 U

And I would take an option for a second one: the ARP 2600, which is a monster itself too. But the Eminent would certainly be the first on the podium of those legendary monster synths which are waited for a long time as software emulations...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I think XILS are into what JM Jarre use to call "The stradivariues of synths". I also think XILS won't make an emulation of something already existing. Like the ARP 260 for example.

So the Eminent is a good guess. But I think Xavier is more into something of the same style as the EMS VCS 3 and the APR 2600. Maybe an emulation of the ARP 2500?

Hmmm... An emulation of the ARP 2500 would be a marketing risk. It has not as many features as the 2600, so it would lead Xavier to sell this emulation much cheaper than Arturia's 2600... which is already not very expensive.

The research & development for such synth emulations is certainly quite expensive, so it must be conducted with a goal to gain enough money to make live the company (and its staff). With a 2500 there would be a great risk of disinterest by the community of musicians.

I'm sure that it is a synth of very high value. The only 2600 commercial emulation actually existing is the one from Arturia (the timewARP is a joke beside it), but without updates for years and years and with a minuscule GUI. Xavier could certainly bet the risk for a new emulation of the ARP 2600 with huge features as he have proved us he can do with the previous emulations, and with a much more actual power than the one from Arturia. And it is a real monster, yes. So the risk is less than with a 2500 because it is certain that he can return on the investment and reap enough money to maintain the means of the company to assure the future of its activities with the pleasure of the musicians.

ARP 2600 and Eminent 310 U are the two real analog monsters used by Jarre. They are certainly equally interesting to emulate today. But I just put the Eminent a bit higher in my bet because it has never been accurately emulated with all its features and this creation would be today a totally new event.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny wrote:Hmmm... An emulation of the ARP 2500 would be a marketing risk. It has not as many features as the 2600, so it would lead Xavier to sell this emulation much cheaper than Arturia's 2600... which is already not very expensive.
The Arp2500 doesn't have as many features as the Arp2600? :?

Arp2500 Module list
1001 Blank Panel.
1002: Power Supply.
1003: Dual Exponential Envelope Generator. High speed, flexible.
1004p: Voltage Controlled Oscillator. Basic ARP precision VCO offering five simultaneous waveform outputs: sine, triangle, square, sawtooth, and pulse. FM and PWM. Built-in waveform mixer.
1004t: Voltage Controlled Oscillator. Same as 1004p except inverted waveform outputs available.
1005: Modamp. A complex function module containing a precision balanced modulator, a voltage controlled amplifier, and switching circuitry.
1006: Filtamp. A compact module containing a mixer, a voltage controlled lowpass filter, and a voltage controlled amplifier.
1016: Dual Noise/Random Voltage Source. Contains two independent uncorrelated noise sources and filters to derive pink noise and continuous slow random voltages.
1023: Dual Voltage Controlled Oscillator. Two precision voltage controlled oscillators each similar electrically to the 1004.
1027: Ten-Position Sequencer: Unusually flexible and reliable sequential voltage generator. Capable of creating highly complex switching patterns with 30 preset voltages.
1033: Dual Delayed Exponential Envelope Generator. Same as 1003 but includes variable trigger delay.
1036: Dual Sample & Hold/Random Voltage Generator. Contains two ultra-low-drift sample and hold circuits, two noise sources, and two voltage controlled pulse generators.
1045: Voltage Controlled Voice. Combination two Envelope Generators/Voltage Controlled Oscillator/Voltage Controlled Filter/Voltage Controlled Amplifier. Use as preset voice.
1046: Quad Exponential Envelope Generator: Ultra-compact module containing a pair of envelope generators without trigger delay and a pair with delay.
1047: Multimode Filter/Resonator. Combination highpass, lowpass. bandpass, and band-reject filter. Ultra-high Q. Voltage controlled center frequency and resonance.
1050: Mix/Sequencer. A combination sequencer, mixer, analog gate. Serves dozens of functions as a utility mixer, sequencer, preset function selector.

Looks like it has way more features than the Arp2600 ?

Honestly if Xils made a Arp2500 it would probably work pretty good considering they have made a similar patchgrid system with their Xils4 system.

It would also make marketing sense too considering Arturia has the Moog Modular, so this would be a very competitive move.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:Hmmm... An emulation of the ARP 2500 would be a marketing risk. It has not as many features as the 2600, so it would lead Xavier to sell this emulation much cheaper than Arturia's 2600... which is already not very expensive.
The Arp2500 doesn't have as many features as the Arp2600? :?

Arp2500 Module list
1001 Blank Panel.
1002: Power Supply.
1003: Dual Exponential Envelope Generator. High speed, flexible.
1004p: Voltage Controlled Oscillator. Basic ARP precision VCO offering five simultaneous waveform outputs: sine, triangle, square, sawtooth, and pulse. FM and PWM. Built-in waveform mixer.
1004t: Voltage Controlled Oscillator. Same as 1004p except inverted waveform outputs available.
1005: Modamp. A complex function module containing a precision balanced modulator, a voltage controlled amplifier, and switching circuitry.
1006: Filtamp. A compact module containing a mixer, a voltage controlled lowpass filter, and a voltage controlled amplifier.
1016: Dual Noise/Random Voltage Source. Contains two independent uncorrelated noise sources and filters to derive pink noise and continuous slow random voltages.
1023: Dual Voltage Controlled Oscillator. Two precision voltage controlled oscillators each similar electrically to the 1004.
1027: Ten-Position Sequencer: Unusually flexible and reliable sequential voltage generator. Capable of creating highly complex switching patterns with 30 preset voltages.
1033: Dual Delayed Exponential Envelope Generator. Same as 1003 but includes variable trigger delay.
1036: Dual Sample & Hold/Random Voltage Generator. Contains two ultra-low-drift sample and hold circuits, two noise sources, and two voltage controlled pulse generators.
1045: Voltage Controlled Voice. Combination two Envelope Generators/Voltage Controlled Oscillator/Voltage Controlled Filter/Voltage Controlled Amplifier. Use as preset voice.
1046: Quad Exponential Envelope Generator: Ultra-compact module containing a pair of envelope generators without trigger delay and a pair with delay.
1047: Multimode Filter/Resonator. Combination highpass, lowpass. bandpass, and band-reject filter. Ultra-high Q. Voltage controlled center frequency and resonance.
1050: Mix/Sequencer. A combination sequencer, mixer, analog gate. Serves dozens of functions as a utility mixer, sequencer, preset function selector.

Looks like it has way more features than the Arp2600 ?

Honestly if Xils made a Arp2500 it would probably work pretty good considering they have made a similar patchgrid system with their Xils4 system.

It would also make marketing sense too considering Arturia has the Moog Modular, so this would be a very competitive move.
Sorry, it's not exactly what I wanted to say.
Yes, you're right.
But I'm pretty sure that a 2500 is probably a much greater commercial risk than a 2600. Don't forget that it has always been a Rube Goldberg machine to maintain for the technicians and to program for the musician. And it is sure that in a software version it would be the same. The risk is much less with the 2600. But why not?

I also remember that Jarre abandoned very quickly the 2500 (precisely for this reason) when he got his 2600 for his 1972 album, and he still uses this 2600... 40 years later.

Return to “Instruments”