Bitwig discussion over at CDM

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It means it's still version 1 and let's wait later version.

hibidy wrote:I can't explain all of it, but think about how opposed I was at one point. Surely someone would recognize that in order for "hibidy" to become a convert, there must be something to it......wouldn't they?
40,000 posts, yeah I don't know you but you obviously have some time invested in this industry. :)

It boils down to this, you can never tell some one they will like something, they have to see it themselves. If they don't it just means they are different then you are, not stupid.

Although, people can say REALLY stupid things.

To this day, my son hates tomatoes because years ago I told him they were good for him. I think really, the only reason he hates tomatoes is because I told him he would like them(years ago). :)

Moral: Let some one figure out if they like/believe/understand something on their own time, leave the preaching and convincing to religions.

Mike
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine

TeotiGraphix wrote:> as I wrote for that magazine, to me it comes a bit too close to Live to be able to differentiate itself:

Sometimes, the best comment is NO comment. This statement proves ignorance, and there is nothing better in life than trying to prove the world is round to people that have believed it flat.

Let the software speak for itself, those that want to say it's a copy of Live, well I don't think you will ever change their minds.

Maybe this is just a standard insecurity people have with new things, I don' know, Bitwig is "just a program", these people make it out like it's some religion. :)

Mike
some important things are still missing from BWS currently so I have to agree with the article: ReWire support, grouping, freezing, templates, track defaults, graphical feedback for eq, compressors, spectrum analyzers etc., step recording, Push with the PXT scripts is much more advanced, hot-swapping, comping(with m4l device), easy inner-remoting with ClyphX at first glance, and yepp there are some really great m4l plugin for it, but we are here to constantly kick the devs ass and praying for them so I hope the bests in long term meaning
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:
TeotiGraphix wrote:> as I wrote for that magazine, to me it comes a bit too close to Live to be able to differentiate itself:

Sometimes, the best comment is NO comment. This statement proves ignorance, and there is nothing better in life than trying to prove the world is round to people that have believed it flat.

Let the software speak for itself, those that want to say it's a copy of Live, well I don't think you will ever change their minds.

Maybe this is just a standard insecurity people have with new things, I don' know, Bitwig is "just a program", these people make it out like it's some religion. :)

Mike
some important things are still missing from BWS currently so I have to agree with the article: ReWire support, grouping, freezing, templates, track defaults, graphical feedback for eq, compressors, spectrum analyzers etc., step recording, Push with the PXT scripts is much more advanced, hot-swapping, comping(with m4l device), easy inner-remoting with ClyphX at first glance, and yepp there are some really great m4l plugin for it, but we are here to constantly kick the devs ass and praying for them so I hope the bests in long term meaning
I understand what you are saying but don't agree. You might as well say "Live" is missing from Bitwig right now so its not worth purchasing. What is that article trying to achieve, stating the obvious that a version 1.0 software doesn't have what version 9 softwares do?

Maybe its that I am a software dev and don't see things black and white like consumers do but, the reason I bought Bitwig in March was to support the development of something I knew wasn't "equal or feature complete" to the DAW market on version 1.0. See, I knew Bitwig wasn't feature complete when i bought it, comparing it to other DAWs, but that isn't why I bought it, comparing features or things it's missing.

I bought it for it's future potential and what it offered me in a new workflow to creating music.

BTW, comparing PXT to what moss and i are doing is quite a stretch, Native Kontrols gets paid and has years into their development of custom algorithms and MIDI/OSC frameworks.

I'd like to see where I am in 3 years, given the fact Bitwig will be pretty mature by then, yeah I look way over the horizon.

Mike
Michael Schmalle
Surfing on sine waves

TeotiGraphix wrote: Maybe its that I am a software dev and don't see things black and white like consumers do but, the reason I bought Bitwig in March was to support the development of something I knew wasn't "equal or feature complete" to the DAW market on version 1.0. See, I knew Bitwig wasn't feature complete when i bought it, comparing it to other DAWs, but that isn't why I bought it, comparing features or things it's missing.

I bought it for it's future potential and what it offered me in a new workflow to creating music.
That is exactly the reason I purchased Biwtig too. I really like the workflow it provided and the ease in which it accomplished things I often found infuriating in other DAWs . As others have said, it was not feature complete, but there was enough there to allow me to make music.

Rather than wait for the features I wanted to see, I saw the potential and decided to jump in and show support for the product.

Reading the article and especially some of the comments, I had to laugh, they were so bad. There was so much contradiction and strange reasons why people hated Bitwig. Some people had reasons to dislike it without even trying it. Others didn't like it because parts of it are written in the wrong language for them, citing anecdotal fears without any real understanding.
Albert Einstein wrote:Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Overall the article and comments strike me as reflecting peoples fears. And when you see that, you know that you are onto a winner, as many people dislike change. They recognise on some level that Bitwig brings something new and is possibly a game changer compared to their own DAW and for that they will be highly critical.
Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

goatgirl wrote:Overall the article and comments strike me as reflecting peoples fears. And when you see that, you know that you are onto a winner, as many people dislike change. They recognise on some level that Bitwig brings something new and is possibly a game changer compared to their own DAW and for that they will be highly critical.
This is THE SINGLE reason I love using innovative and forward thinking things in life whether its DAWs or a toaster.

Going a long for the ride with people that see these strange human behaviors the same way you do brings a smile to my face, and you KNOW they don't take life so seriously, I love it.

Mike
Michael Schmalle
Surfing on sine waves

goatgirl wrote: Overall the article and comments strike me as reflecting peoples fears. And when you see that, you know that you are onto a winner, as many people dislike change. They recognise on some level that Bitwig brings something new and is possibly a game changer compared to their own DAW and for that they will be highly critical.
I will comment on this with a quote from Dom!!

dom@bitwig wrote:
Because we like doing things differently! Bitwig Studio would not be Bitwig Studio if we wouldn't...
And sometimes it is better to give a damn about what people think if you want to succeed. Else it just drags you down and makes you mediocre.

goatgirl wrote: That is exactly the reason I purchased Biwtig too. I really like the workflow it provided and the ease in which it accomplished things I often found infuriating in other DAWs . As others have said, it was not feature complete, but there was enough there to allow me to make music.

Rather than wait for the features I wanted to see, I saw the potential and decided to jump in and show support for the product.
Ditto!

hibidy wrote:I didn't spend 200 bucks with "hopes and wishes" of upcoming features, I genuinely like the workflow and the unique feature set there is currently.
+1

Exactly. Stating "Bitwig is not there yet" does not nail the point. If I wanted Live, I would have bought it. I decided to go for Bitwig because of the flexible modulation system it already has. I decided to take the leap, even with the absense of some features other DAWs may offer. ;)

Cya
This could be your ad!

SHHHHHHH! :x

now go make music! :phones:

BWS is working similar fashion way as AL + Reason together if u use the AL<>Reason m4l connector devices, so u can have modulation system in AL too

- the cables + the bugs :hihi: so choosing between them is not a black and white thing ... as always :party: but AL has some very-very annoying incompleteness because it's a marketing-driven software filled with shiny but useless things
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Guys, you misunderstand me. The post that I quoted said there isn't a reason to use Bitwig over other tools. Yet Bitwig has many features that aren't available on other DAWs. This is an objective fact, and has nothing to do with subjective opinion.

You may prefer to take the bus to work, but if you want to travel to the Moon, you need a rocket, end of story. A rocket does things that a bus cannot, there is no debating needed.

Bitwig has features that Ableton does not, yet the post I quoted said it's an Ableton clone. This is simply not true, and it would appear that the person who said it hasn't done their research.

Someone who speaks without doing their research is not intelligent. Or as Plato said - 'Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.'

Well, it's all just discussion though, I love talking about this stuff. If that makes me a fool.....so be it.

hibidy wrote:Well, it's all just discussion though, I love talking about this stuff. If that makes me a fool.....so be it.
Hey I'm not calling you a fool! It's just food for thought, I love Plato quotes.

My point is that the guy seemed to have condemned Bitwig without using it properly. As another popular saying goes - "condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance".

Well, I didn't really take it personally, but I do love to yak about this stuff, and I agree.... it was little short-sided that he said it like that.

But then I'm no innocent :hihi:

Return to “Bitwig”