Synth1 plays EXTREMELY LOUD when I change the preset. Please please help

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I go to the presets that I saved on Synth1 and click on one, the sound plays deafeningly loud and distorted. On its own too. I don't even need to press a note. I just noticed the red clipping with a number of 800 on it to give you an idea....and later on at 1,300. :scared:

What on earth is going on? After a while of it blaring, I can get the sound to work normally like it should but it is terribly annoying and I do not want to blow my speakers or ears.

I will add in that I had this happen once before from just changing random knobs on the synth and it blaring out before I had any external soundbanks involved.

Is there a way automatically have any sound this ridiculously loud cut out to save my ears/speakers?
I'm using Studio One 2

Please help...........

You could either use a limiter to protect the output from clipping (it will still sound bad, but you're protected at least) or use an automute tool like Ice9.

I will look into the Ice9 thing. I'm going to use a screenshot of the limiter that comes with the daw because I really don't know much. I actually tried putting it on but was unsuccessful....maybe I didn't use it right.

Would it be best to put the limiter on the Synth1 track itself? Or on the overall output?

Could you tell me what to do with the limiter to fix my problem?

And thanks so much for the response.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Put the limiter on the track. Turn Ceiling down to e.g. -12 dB or lower. Turn the channel fader down, as much as you wish. On the Synth1 panel, bottom left knob says VOL. It is a global knob, turn this down to e.g. 5-10-15. In the amplifier section, there's a parameter called Gain. Turn that down too, it is preset-specific, so save the preset. Save the project (to store the VOL parameter on a low setting).

Now, I haven't used Synth1 for quite a while, but I vaguely remember that I also experienced the blaring you describe. Back then I had found what causes it but can't remember now (trying hard! and failing!).

Why don't you investigate, once you've turned down the volume as described above, it's not a big interface - just go through the knobs and switches with the synth blaring and try to find which one causes this behaviour. Then remember it and avoid to dial in such settings.

Edit: OK, you can proceed as follows:
Turn off the 'Effect' section (main suspect), Tempo Delay, Chorus, Unison, Arpeggiator, LFO's.
Then, switch off the Ring and Sync switches in the Osc section, turn down FM knob, also Res and Sat in the Filter section.
Do you still have the blaring?
Play with the frq knob and filter types. Change Osc2 waveform.
etc.

toothnclaw wrote:Put the limiter on the track. Turn Ceiling down to e.g. -12 dB or lower. Turn the channel fader down...
I will try these things as soon as I get the chance...maybe late tonight or tomorrow, so please check back. Thank you much for the ideas.

I never had Synth1 do that. I wouldn't necessarily resort to putting on a limiter, it should be a normally functioning plugin. Maybe it's the new builds that do that, the old ones definitely didn't. You could see if there's an old build, or try the wayback machine- http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I've yet to try the previous sections. (should tonight). Perhaps I should do a screen/audio recording so yall see exactly what I'm talking about.

Ok, so no matter what I do the same thing happens. I may have not even played a note, click on a new preset, and it does it. I think I'm giving up. Maybe my daw just sucks. I don't know. I cannot even get soundbanks to open in synth1. I have to refind them every time.

Quit using Synth1, use SyLEnth1 - only 2 letter difference :)

dune_rave wrote:Quit using Synth1, use SyLEnth1 - only 2 letter difference :)
not really,you need to pay some money too :P
My new synth1 bank "Star-nam"

available on kvraudio! Grap it!

Yeah, I'd like to get sylenth sooner than later

With a little luck, you can obtain a Legal licence at KVR marketplace second hand and thats cheaper....

Return to “Instruments”